Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Re: MacMan Build - GA-X58A-UD3R - i7 930 - HD 5770

I've bought this :

Gigabyte GV R577SL-1GD (1 GB)

Yet cannot make it work. My monitor just goes to sleep.

Any help ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
HD5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

joyzer said:
I've bought this :

Gigabyte GV R577SL-1GD (1 GB)

Yet cannot make it work. My monitor just goes to sleep.

Any help ?
You tried other dvi port or with displayport ? I remember my hdmi por didn't work right away but did afterward.

mpg

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

I have this same card in the ud3r with an i7-950 and I'm sure the DVI and DVI -> VGA works fine with the install guide. Have you tried that instead of the HDMI or Displayport, or are all connections not displaying anything?

Just as an FYI - I tried the HDMI last night and the effect is similar to what you described where you see the bios boot and chamelwon, but it appears to go to sleep as OSX loads. It's not really asleep, just the signal isn't getting passed out properly. I believe to get that to work we'll need to try the Kabyl bootloader and test the framebuffers used (there are a couple of threads on it in the forum here and on insanelymac as well).

I'll be trying to get mine up and running over HDMI over the next few days. If I can get it running I'll post the steps. Good luck.

Update: So far the HDMI has been uncooperative to say the least in getting it working. You can see the thread I started over in the graphics section where a few of us are trying to get it up and running and so far I haven't seen anyone with a success story. Still hopeful, but I'm less optimistic than I was a few weeks ago that there's a quick solution for the non reference designs.

Motherboard
Ga-Z170x-UD5 TH
CPU
6700k 4.8ghz
Graphics
GTX 980 ti FTW
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

lonetree said:
Hi Jonnynogood,

have you managed to solve the usb keyboard dropout problem?

thanks

-- lonetree

yes i plug my keyboard into the front USB and if it ever drops out i unplug it then plug it back in. my mouse is plugged into my keyboard.

problem solved.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Just a few quick questions about this motherboard for those that have it.. Do all 10 of the sata ports work? What about the e-sata ports? What about optical over spdif? Also, I assume a MSI 1G TwinFrozr G250GTS should be fine? I'm thinking about a Xeon w3520 for this as well. I'd appreciate any advice you guys have.

Thanks..

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
i7
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS

jonnynogood said:
lonetree said:
Hi Jonnynogood,

have you managed to solve the usb keyboard dropout problem?

thanks

-- lonetree

yes i plug my keyboard into the front USB and if it ever drops out i unplug it then plug it back in. my mouse is plugged into my keyboard.

problem solved.

so its not totally solved? its so strange, my previous 2 builds (for my friends) works without any major problem, even the front audio works and mine doesn't. Should have got those model instead.

sigh!

Attachments

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Hey MacMan,

Thanks for all the great info that you provide. I have been thinking about building a hackintosh for several months and am finally ready to get started.

I am going to build a system very similar to the one you put together here, although I will use the i7 950. I have a few questions about minor differences ...

12GB RAM
The main difference is that I really want to have 12GB of RAM (I work with large databases for web development and the extra RAM will really help.)

Corsair Dominator 12 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 - $279.00
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator ... roduct_top

I found this memory using this search tool, http://www.corsair.com/configurator/default.aspx, but I had trouble finding a similar search too for OCZ memory

Would it be possible to use the OCZ memory that you used, or is that only for 6BG configurations? Do you have any recommendations on the best way to get 12GB or memory on this system?

-- Thanks

2TB Drive?
I would eventually like to get the system and apps onto an SSD, but due to budget constraints, I will start with a normal HDD. I was considering getting a 2TB drive, but I saw some vague indication that drives bigger than 1TB might cause problems. Is that correct?

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C ... roduct_top

If the 2TB drive will cause problems, I will probably go with:

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

Upgrade to i7 980x
How difficult would it be to upgrade the chip to a i7 980x? I would love to have this option in a year or so when the prices come down. Would it be as easy as just changing the chip or would other changes be required?

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING - 1601 - UEFI
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

MikeyLikesIt said:
Hey MacMan,

Thanks for all the great info that you provide. I have been thinking about building a hackintosh for several months and am finally ready to get started.

I am going to build a system very similar to the one you put together here, although I will use the i7 950. I have a few questions about minor differences ...

12GB RAM
The main difference is that I really want to have 12GB of RAM (I work with large databases for web development and the extra RAM will really help.)

Corsair Dominator 12 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 - $279.00
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator ... roduct_top

I found this memory using this search tool, http://www.corsair.com/configurator/default.aspx, but I had trouble finding a similar search too for OCZ memory

Would it be possible to use the OCZ memory that you used, or is that only for 6BG configurations? Do you have any recommendations on the best way to get 12GB or memory on this system?

-- Thanks

2TB Drive?
I would eventually like to get the system and apps onto an SSD, but due to budget constraints, I will start with a normal HDD. I was considering getting a 2TB drive, but I saw some vague indication that drives bigger than 1TB might cause problems. Is that correct?

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache

If the 2TB drive will cause problems, I will probably go with:

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

Upgrade to i7 980x
How difficult would it be to upgrade the chip to a i7 980x? I would love to have this option in a year or so when the prices come down. Would it be as easy as just changing the chip or would other changes be required?
To get to 12GB using OCZ you would need 2 kits and have no open RAM slots. The Corsair you listed is designed to use a top mounted cooler and don't know how that would work with the Mugen. This RAM would work http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-PC3-12800-1600MHz-8-9-8-24-PV7312G1600LLK/dp/B003WUX2ZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8

As for the disk drives, the issue with Chameleon is that the boot partition needs to be 1 TB or less. I think this is fixed in the latest version of Chameleon, but not sure if it is fixed in Kabyl's version.

Upgrading to a i7 980x should be relatively easy. The only pain is removing and reinstalling the CPU cooler.

mpg

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Just a note that I've been using a Samsung 2tb to boot off for a few weeks now with a 500GB partition for OSX, a 500GB backup partition, and a 1TB data partition. So far haven't had any trouble with it using either the latest Chameleon installer in multibeast or Kabyl's bootloader. I partitioned it using OSX originally installed onto a smaller laptop drive and then just cloned (using SuperDuper) to the new partition and installed Chameleon to the new drive as well. Didn't take more than 30 minutes all told. Hope that helps. Good luck with your build.