Contribute
Register

Mackintosh and Audio Video Bridge (AVB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.4 from Sierra, because I'm upgrading from a 2600k i7 to 8700k later this week. To my surprise the aforementioned presto ethernet card actually works, as illustrated in the screenshot, in high Sierra.
View attachment 332329
My exeperiences with AVB in Sierra was horrible, the latency under a 'ping test' I performed in January demmonstrates the issue avb has with syncing in sierra, which results not only in distorted audio but also INSANE latency compared to the usb2 performance.
DRAMATISATION:

With usb at 96kHz
View attachment 332330

And NOW with AVB at 96khz (The sample offset is somewhere between +20ms to +170ms)
View attachment 332332 View attachment 332333

I have not performed a ping test in high sierra yet, as there are many other issues(all of the ones mentioned in this thread) with this interface I have faced in sierra, like dropouts with usb and AVB. In the case of USB it the cause seems to be coreaudio crashing due to samplerate conversion not functioning properly, with avb it is a synchronisation issue as well.
As AVID has stated, AVB on osx has been broken for a while and I am not sure if they've fixed it in high sierra.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392402
Which Lan made AVB works in your motherboard ... Intel or Killer E2500 ?
I have Msi Z370 Gaming M5 with Killer only !
i'm going to do this with Avid S6L

I haven't experienced any dropouts yet on 10.13.6 with AVB but coreaudiod does consistently hang. For that reason I have my doubts apple has fixed their AVB implementation.
according to MOTU:
"Limitations Regarding Direct AVB Audio Connection to a Mac
While you can connect a MOTU Pro Audio interface to a computer running macOS 10.10 or later with just an ethernet cable, there are some performance drawbacks compared to connecting with USB or Thunderbolt.

Apple's current implementation of direct AVB audio streaming in macOS (first introduced in macOS 10.10) does not allow the use of third party drivers. You will not be able to use the MOTU Pro Audio driver when connecting your MOTU interface to your Mac via Ethernet for the purposes of multi-channel audio I/O. Using Apple's AVB audio driver has several limitations. These include:

1) Sample Rates of 44.1 kHz, 88.2 kHz and 176.4 kHz are not supported.
2) The MOTU Audio Tools application is not supported.
3) MIDI is not supported.
4) Increased latency between the interface and computer when compared to USB and Thunderbolt connections.
5) Audio MIDI Setup settings for the AVB device are not saved upon reboot.
"
Getting an AVB device for usage on a hackintosh is not something I can recommend, while it works with sleep unlike thunderbolt, I don't see much point using it when usb2 performance is far better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back