Contribute
Register

Mackintosh and Audio Video Bridge (AVB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I never had USB drop-outs, but I had to buy a new ethernet card that avb compatible. It was made by Sonnet and works very well
What is the model of your sonnet card?

See link below.

It is the Sonnet Presto. I believe they have different versions with more ports, but mine only has one and it was plug and play. It took me a bit to get the MOTU side of things figured out though. Basically, the interface will talk to the AVB card right out of the box, but it isn't how MOTU says to run it in their manual. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point. It will show up as a network device and as an I/O device in Logic Pro X. MOTU says to disable it as a network device though and use MOTU Discovery to set it up. You could do both, but it was screwy when I didn't delete one or the other. Also, I didn't really notice a big difference in performance from AVB to USB so it might not even be needed for you unless you have a multi device network.

Lastly, I had to set my buffer way higher than normal over AVB to get rid of the pops and crackles, but there is still very little latency vs USB at the same buffer settings.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigpciepro.html

Thanks for all the info. I'm actually going to be using a StudioLive 32 Series III by PreSonus. Experimented with AVB on my macbook with it and it was pretty easy. Never used it in an actual session though so it has yet to be proven. That's interesting you didn't notice a performance difference vs usb, though.

Thanks for all the info. I'm actually going to be using a StudioLive 32 Series III by PreSonus. Experimented with AVB on my macbook with it and it was pretty easy. Never used it in an actual session though so it has yet to be proven. That's interesting you didn't notice a performance difference vs usb, though.

I suppose I worded that incorrectly. I didn't see much of a latency improvement when using Amplitube 4. I did see the CPU usage drop 10 to 15 %

I am looking to get a studiolive 32 series iii and would like to run it over avb ,would I just require a certain network card or do I need a new motherboard ,if so what would you recommend.

Thanks
Axe

I never had USB drop-outs, but I had to buy a new ethernet card that avb compatible. It was made by Sonnet and works very well

The Sonnet AVB ethernet is broken in high sierra... known issue with Apple not the card vendor

I just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.4 from Sierra, because I'm upgrading from a 2600k i7 to 8700k later this week. To my surprise the aforementioned presto ethernet card actually works, as illustrated in the screenshot, in high Sierra.
Screenshot 2018-05-23 00.23.43.png
My exeperiences with AVB in Sierra was horrible, the latency under a 'ping test' I performed in January demmonstrates the issue avb has with syncing in sierra, which results not only in distorted audio but also INSANE latency compared to the usb2 performance.
DRAMATISATION:

With usb at 96kHz
Screenshot 2017-12-30 21.07.18.png

And NOW with AVB at 96khz (The sample offset is somewhere between +20ms to +170ms)
Screenshot 2017-12-30 21.01.40.png Screenshot 2017-12-30 20.54.10.png

I have not performed a ping test in high sierra yet, as there are many other issues(all of the ones mentioned in this thread) with this interface I have faced in sierra, like dropouts with usb and AVB. In the case of USB it the cause seems to be coreaudio crashing due to samplerate conversion not functioning properly, with avb it is a synchronisation issue as well.
As AVID has stated, AVB on osx has been broken for a while and I am not sure if they've fixed it in high sierra.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392402

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back