Contribute
Register

Macintosh Classic II - 9,7” conversion-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @ZoltarCNC, I've been keenly watching this thread and your progress. Looking forward to seeing more, good work sir.
Thanks, good to hear!
Its been a interresting journey sofar. ✅
Progress is relativly slow, as too many projects

Some of us tinkerers want to keep the apearance of their classic mac as original as possible…..

If like with the Macintosh it has a CRT, it is difficult to emulate that. CRT shaped Plexiglass has its problems as I understand. So why not use the tubes glass? Dont know if it has been done before, but did seems like a good idea.

Over the last few days I took an broken 9“ mac tube and cut of excess glass.
Then smoothened it out with an angle grinder & diamond disc…..keeping just the front CRT glass.
Then put the display behind the glass to see how it looks like in the mac frontpanel.(see pics)

For me its a too small display but the actual result is looking pretty good.
Negative is that a bit dim due to the tinted glas and minimal inside surface stucture.

Now for the next step I was thinking, filling the glass partly with clear resin, and lay the display into the resin (under vacuum)

My guess that this resolves any interference as it becomes one part.
Resulting in a sharper image.

The question is if this will work…Alternatives?
Any suggestions?
Anyone?

Attachments

• 27E6CAF4-1D4D-4A7B-83AC-05A9AF670D1D.jpeg
    27E6CAF4-1D4D-4A7B-83AC-05A9AF670D1D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • C4949BDF-3D66-4BCC-AA42-5B9281F66A77.jpeg
    C4949BDF-3D66-4BCC-AA42-5B9281F66A77.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
  • FC2153BF-2EE7-46EF-88A0-4DA4B8B0E887.jpeg
    FC2153BF-2EE7-46EF-88A0-4DA4B8B0E887.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 3106B4CF-9CAE-4051-B973-4B58BA5E7623.jpeg
    3106B4CF-9CAE-4051-B973-4B58BA5E7623.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 94
Some of us tinkerers want to keep the apearance of their classic mac as original as possible…..

If like with the Macintosh it has a CRT, it is difficult to emulate that. CRT shaped Plexiglass has its problems as I understand. So why not use the tubes glass? Dont know if it has been done before, but did seems like a good idea.

Over the last few days I took an broken 9“ mac tube and cut of excess glass.
Then smoothened it out with an angle grinder & diamond disc…..keeping just the front CRT glass.
Then put the display behind the glass to see how it looks like in the mac frontpanel.(see pics)

For me its a too small display but the actual result is looking pretty good.
Negative is that a bit dim due to the tinted glas and minimal inside surface stucture.

Now for the next step I was thinking, filling the glass partly with clear resin, and lay the display into the resin (under vacuum)

My guess that this resolves any interference as it becomes one part.
Resulting in a sharper image.

The question is if this will work…Alternatives?
Any suggestions?
Anyone?
you do some nice work there! :)

Much appreciated, thanks!
This is fun and relaxing to me and takes my mind of other daily stuff

Some of us tinkerers want to keep the apearance of their classic mac as original as possible….
Agreed!, I think that goes for all vintage mac cases. My G5 case is still my favorite and keeping it as original and simple as possible is my goal.
I like that your using the CRT glass, can you add some bling to the inside to act as a kind of backlight for the screen?.

This is really cool

Backlight bling……thats indeed an interresting idea!
Like philips hue tv ambilight around their TV’s

This is really cool
If it works, it would be great indeed….

That would open a wormhole where you could for example disect a G3 CRT, add a suitable display and have the complete space behind it for a modern ITX PC.
Just the art of splitting a CRT decently must be learned. Next to that the actual casting of the display….

We shall see how this first (9” display) trial ends.

Hello all, failure is an option…..

Well it works, and my bad,
it fails in the end.
Leveling with resin does deliver a perfectly flat clear surface. It removes the inner texture on the glass. So thats good, providing a much clearer picture.
Casting the display onto this first layer was no problem at all, just the resin gets in between the display itself.
So, one step back. i cleanout the glass from this trial and place a new panel with minimal resin. Lessons learned!
Sofar, hope the new display arrives sooner than later.

Attachments

• 4D0B0B95-4824-4C47-8CC1-893CB9D95D4C.jpeg
    4D0B0B95-4824-4C47-8CC1-893CB9D95D4C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • F620BEB2-B466-44B4-A67B-F96C373FD8EA.jpeg
    F620BEB2-B466-44B4-A67B-F96C373FD8EA.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back