1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. LC
  3. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm already a bit into this build. I've actually just installed my hackintosh build. Very pain-free so far, thanks tonymacx86.

This is something I've always wanted to do. I wanted to repurpose a classic Macintosh. I own a working Macintosh SE/30 and I've envisioned doing a sort of case mod with it. The thing is, it still works, and I don't want to gut a perfectly working Macintosh. I don't use it, but for some reason I can't bring myself to gut it. So, I ordered a broken Macintosh 512k, the "Fat Mac." This will be my donor.

I've also imagined making a sort of touch-screen classic Macintosh jukebox. That is what I've set out to build, but it will be much more capable than a simple jukebox.

Here's the hardware I decided on

Display: Lilliput FA1000-np/c/t 9.7" 5-wire Resistive Touch Screen Monitor. It's not easy to find a small 4:3 touch screen. This choice was a compromise. I didn't really want a reistive touch screen, but this was just about the right size. I really, really wanted a 9" touch screen CRT, but I might as well been looking for a unicorn.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N Mini-ITX. I was going to use the the H77TN, a thin mini-itx board, but I got tired of waiting for it, and I have no way to interface with the LVDS display connector, so I decided against it.

CPU: Intel i3 3225 I actually ping-ponged quite a bit between this and the i7-3770s, but I thought it might be overkill since I'll be using the integrated graphics. I don't plan on doing all that much with it either. It was a tough decision, but I went with the i3 mainly because I don't need much more and I wanted to keep the heat down inside.

RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance

PSU:
FSP Group U.S.A. Corporation FSP300-60LG 300-Watt 80 ITX Flex ATX 240-Pin This is right about the max power I'll ever consume, and it has a thermally controlled fan. This will help keep the noise down.

I wanted to keep the outside look as original as possible. I'm going to try and map all of the inputs to new connectors. I'm not quite to that point yet. Here's some pics of where I'm currently at.

Macintone 52.jpgMacintone 46.jpgMacintone 47.jpgMacintone 50.jpgMacintone 51.jpgMacintone 45.jpgMacintone 44.jpgMacintone 39.jpgMacintone 41.jpg

Then I had to run some minivmac and play some Oregon Trail.
Macintone 38.jpgMacintone 37.jpg

I've got some more build pictures on my wordpress site. You can find the address on my profile.

Hey this is great. Your project has me excited again; old is new! And I did not know about Mini vMac. Thank you for sharing and keep it coming.

neil

Hey this is great. Your project has me excited again; old is new! And I did not know about Mini vMac. Thank you for sharing and keep it coming.

neil

Yeah, it's a great, easy program. Have you tried it yet?

Some more with more flexibility:
BasiliskII
Sheep Shaver

There's a bundle you can find online that's prebuilt for running OS9 called COI, "Classic on Intel."

Let me know if you've got issues, it can be kinda tricky to set up.

This is a great great mod, I love it.
Oregon Trail bringing back some memories lol

Haha, I know. I just had to do that.

I've actually been itching to play it. Is that weird?

I know this is a super old thread (only 5 years lol) and you might not respond, but did you ever end up mapping the inputs? IF so how did you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back