CPU: i4790K
Mob: ASUS z97 pro (wifi.ac)
GPU: gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
SSD: samsung 850 EVO 250 GB x2
(considering for second storage) Hard Drive: WD 1 TB black x 2
(16GB or 32 GB?) RAM: G.skill 1899 mHz Ripjaw 16 GB kit x2
Power Supply: Corsair CS750M
Case: Define R5

i am very concern about the compatibility of the hardware and about the procedure of the installation

- so all i have to do is to make a unibeast USB from a mac laptop
- go to the UEFI bios of the computer and boot it
- install the multibeast and i would be alright?

- so when i want to boot between Windows and Mac i need to go to UEFI bios again and change the boot drive?

sorry for the armature questions but i am very scared about this

i wanna make sure that everything is set and ready to go before i buy the parts

thanks heeps guys

Hi Everyone,

i am new to the scene and wanted to buy myself a new computer

i am intended to have my rig operating in Windows and Mac OS

CPU: i4790K
Mob: ASUS z97 pro (wifi.ac)
GPU: gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
SSD: samsung 850 EVO 250 GB x2
(considering for second storage) Hard Drive: WD 1 TB black x 2
(16GB or 32 GB?) RAM: G.skill 1899 mHz Ripjaw 16 GB kit x2
Power Supply: Corsair CS750M
Case: Define R5

i am very concern about the compatibility of the hardware and about the procedure of the installation

- so all i have to do is to make a unibeast USB from a mac laptop
- go to the UEFI bios of the computer and boot it
- install the multibeast and i would be alright?

- so when i want to boot between Windows and Mac i need to go to UEFI bios again and change the boot drive?

sorry for the armature questions but i am very scared about this

i wanna make sure that everything is set and ready to go before i buy the parts

thanks heeps guys
You do realize the GTX970 is not supported in OS X and requires nVidia web drivers, yes? And will require updated drivers every time you update OS X, yes?
Do you intend to OC? If yes, suggest boost the PSU to 850W
Planning to dual boot with Windows, you should plan for separate SSD for each OS. - connect a SSD, install an OS. Disconnect the SSD, connect the other SSD, install the other OS. Shutdown, connect the other SSD and the storage HDD, boot to BIOS and make the OS X SSD first in BBS boot priorities. Install Instant Menu and the boot process will stop and allow you to select which OS you want to boot.
Be aware of how Windows installs. If it installs UEFI you will need Clover as your boot loader to be able to boot Windows from the boot loader selection screen.

Just to add to "Going Balds" post. (I'm going to sound like a broken record here again).

1. What video editing software are you using? FCP X does not work very well with any nVidia card. It works but is slooooooooooooooow. If you are intending to use FCP X then dump the nVidia and get AMD cards, a 280X or 7970. The 290x still seems problematic and the 270X is a bit slow.

2. 256GB x 2 for a dual boot Windows/OS X AND scratch space for video is a bit small. I made a two min video last week whilst skiing and used 70GB for the files. Video files are big. You need lots of storage. You would be better off with a single 512GB disk which is also cheaper. To be honest I have a 512GB SSD for OS X, a 512SSD disk for Windows and another 512GB SSD for video scratch space. Not cheap but zero hassle on dual booting and space for media.

3. You can get by with 16GB of RAM but the more you have the better for video editing, so get 32GB.

4. I assume you have lots and lots of time on your hands as you have a wifi motherboard. If you are thinking of moving video around by wifi, then buy a very big thick book that you like to read as you will need it to occupy the time whilst you move that 10GB video file around wifi.

5. Make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode if you are using Clover. Thats a cock up I made.

Rob

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Going Bald
You do realize the GTX970 is not supported in OS X and requires nVidia web drivers, yes? And will require updated drivers every time you update OS X, yes?
Do you intend to OC? If yes, suggest boost the PSU to 850W
Planning to dual boot with Windows, you should plan for separate SSD for each OS. - connect a SSD, install an OS. Disconnect the SSD, connect the other SSD, install the other OS. Shutdown, connect the other SSD and the storage HDD, boot to BIOS and make the OS X SSD first in BBS boot priorities. Install Instant Menu and the boot process will stop and allow you to select which OS you want to boot.
Be aware of how Windows installs. If it installs UEFI you will need Clover as your boot loader to be able to boot Windows from the boot loader selection screen.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply
since i saw GTX 970 in the buyer's guide i thought its compatible
i will look into the nVidia web driver, but i guess i will just look for a video card that is supported(any suggestion??)

for the dual boot system, can't i just use the bios to choose which hard drive to install the OS on?? (sorry if i am asking a really obvious question)

thanks a lot once again

Last edited by a moderator:
responding to rwillett

- the software that i will be mainly using are Cinema4 and after effect, are AMD GPU better than nVidia in this case? if yes what should i be look out for when choosing one?

- thanks for the tip, i will upgrade the hard drive storage

- as for the wifi mother board, if i were to only edit the video files on this particular compute and only use the wifi to access the internet, would it be sufficient enough? or what would you suggest if i were to find a dedicated wifi card?

thanks a lot

well yeah, but mostly not material intensive, just going to be doing mainly animation, mostly working on after effect and cinema 4d

I was just thinking that to receive appropriate advise it makes a difference at this point to use accurate terms describing what you intend to do with the computer you are building. 3D rendering is CPU intensive and you don't even have to see it on the display. 3D content creation utilizes the video card so you have something accurate and immediate to look at while working.

responding to rwillett

- the software that i will be mainly using are Cinema4 and after effect, are AMD GPU better than nVidia in this case? if yes what should i be look out for when choosing one?

- thanks for the tip, i will upgrade the hard drive storage

- as for the wifi mother board, if i were to only edit the video files on this particular compute and only use the wifi to access the internet, would it be sufficient enough? or what would you suggest if i were to find a dedicated wifi card?

thanks a lot

I do not use Cinema4 or AfterEffects so you need to research that for yourself. If you buy AMD cards then the Vapor-X 280X works very well, I have two of them and they are easy to install. Dual monitors work with them but we are struggling it get triple monitors working per card.

Wifi access to the internet is fine. I just see people thinking that wifi is the same as wired gigabit Ethernet and wondering why they are getting 1/20 the speed. Getting another wifi card is still slow. Video files are big, sometimes very big. Moving 10's or 100's of gigabytes around by wifi is a really, really dumb idea. Moving your shopping list around is fine, but if you want to play with big data get an appropriate transport mechanism. Wiring a computer up for network access is trivial, buy gigabit network switch (£15, $20), buy two cables ($5 the pair), connect to two computers, done. Now you can move data around at a sensible speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back