Contribute
Register

MacbookPro11,1 old EFI/Bootrom NVME Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks i got a big problem and i find no way to solve it.
Here it is:

The Machine is a MacbookPro11,1 and the original apple ssd went toast...
So i saw these threads in this forum about NVME SSDs in this and other models using an adapter.

So i bought this SSD and this adapter:
Intel 760p and an Sintech Adapter.

First thing i learned i cant restore using Internet Recovery, cause it tries to install Yosemite... (no support for NVME SSDs)

I installed MacOS on an external drive and patched my way up to Mojave, created an USB Installer and installed Mojave on my Intel SSD.
Then the installer wanted to reboot and the journey began.

Mojave wouldnt boot from my ssd. got the blinking folder.
So i did a little bit of research and i learned a lot more.
My macbookpro11,1 hast current EFI/BootRom Version MBP111.0138.B16.
Newest is, as https://check.efigy.io/ told me it should be MBP111.0146.B00.

My EFI Version doesnt support NVME SSDs and i wont update it during an install on an external drive, neither when i install it on the NVME (probably it updates during first boot after install). So i tried to find out if i can do this manually. But i didnt find any HowTo that worked for me..

At this point my question is:

Is there any way i can make this work without flashing the EFI manualy using any external hardware an soldering or clamping it directly to the guts of the machine or to borrow an original Apple SSD?

Please help. Greetings,
Decay

I went the same direction as you, but with a different adapter and a Crucial P1 1TB NVME. One thing I learned was that I had to run the security update in the apple store to get my BootROM changed. I'm on HighSierra. I had version 112.XXXX.XXX and after the update it changed to 115.XXXX.XXX. I even tried a clean install of HighSierra and Mojave, but the BootROM never changed. You have to change it while under HighSierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back