Contribute
Register

Macbook Pro 2015 A1398 i7-4770HQ R9 M370X screen flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45
CPU
4770K << need full model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Hello,

Recently my retina display started flickering. It happening randomly, seems like the display is not synchronizing. Usually after 2 minutes after the startup. This issue is only present on the Retina display, when I use external monitor, everything is fine.

I want to point out that I didn't drop or hit the MacBook, this suddenly happened when I was web browsing.
I did already try first to unplug LVDS cable and plug it back, but it didn't work. So I decided to replace LVDS cable but it also didn't work.

I did upgrade to Monterey and then downgraded to High Sierra, the issue is still present. Since there is no physical damage to hardware, I would say it is something wrong with power management/drivers?

I read somewhere that the dust could cause this after some years, but I cleaned it and the LVDS cable stick to the connector just like factory made.

HS.jpg

Monterey.jpg

What else could I check?

Just stress tested GPU/CPU, seems like the problem isn't really related to hardware itself.
Now I'm pointing into display, but since there was no physical damage. There was no issue under stress test, no errors pop up after diagnostic tool used on startup. It could be:
Display
Connector in display/motherboard
LVDS again?

Taking MB to Apple will result that they will charge me $800 for screen/gpu replacement. Keep in mind that those displays aren't produced anymore (not looking for Chinese copy).
Same MB Pro in good condition cost around 500-600 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back