Contribute
Register

Macbook Pro 17" 2009 Monterey opencor patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello I managed to install Monterey on a macbook pro 17 "from 2009, but I think I have no graphic acceleration, I deduce it from the fact that when the mouse arrow scrolls on the menus you see shadows and staggered colors, I ask for a solution to the problem because this could depend on the VIRTUAL DJ application not starting that I mainly use, this problem has plagued me since the Catalina patch, the program is installed regularly, when I start I do not have its main screen but only the program menu that I do not does it does practically nothing, the mac has two video cards Nvidia 9400M / 9400M Gt. I ask you to help me solve this problem Thanks

Hello I managed to install Monterey on a macbook pro 17 "from 2009, but I think I have no graphic acceleration, I deduce it from the fact that when the mouse arrow scrolls on the menus you see shadows and staggered colors, I ask for a solution to the problem because this could depend on the VIRTUAL DJ application not starting that I mainly use, this problem has plagued me since the Catalina patch, the program is installed regularly, when I start I do not have its main screen but only the program menu that I do not does it does practically nothing, the mac has two video cards Nvidia 9400M / 9400M Gt. I ask you to help me solve this problem Thanks
hasn't the support for nvidia dropped in latest version of Monterey?

hasn't the support for nvidia dropped in latest version of Monterey?
I can't tell you, my video card is not mentioned in the opencore patch, I'm trying to figure out if something can be done

I can't tell you, my video card is not mentioned in the opencore patch, I'm trying to figure out if something can be done
it was rhetorical..

best to use a version of macOS that is supported

best to use a version of macOS that is supported
High Sierra would be a suitable macOS version for an older MBP.
These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra
  • MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)

ok apart from that I wonder why virtual dj should not work, it seems very strange to me

ok apart from that I wonder why virtual dj should not work, it seems very strange to me
maybe the software needs working graphics...?

You can get a discussion and catch up on the state of the art at macrumors.com, "Monterey on Unsupported Macs" thread.

But the response you got here is basically the answer: The 2009 is too old even for patched support in Monterey. A a previous macOS can still work while bridging the gap to a modern browser, etc.

What you are running into is that old HW doesn't have enough power to do transcoding at a baseline graphics generation, so they fall by the wayside.

In 2009 Intel was finally transitioned to fully 64bit with Core2, while for G-series GPU 1080HD decode was considered cutting edge.

PCs could play BluRay which is designed to for lighter weight decode while web video was typically SD. 30Hz QHD displays were top of line requiring exotica like DVI dual-link.

So there's a uncrossable graphics compute gap between that era and todays's 4K, inc full 4K transcode. And we're at point that latesr macOS dropped all hope of backwards compat because it is useless.

When the phone has dedicated HW that handles 4K 60Hz + in real time what good is the content it captures on a Mac that's struggling to handle 720 30Hz? No good at all.

To give you a sense of the progress...

A 2009 Macbook Pro Geekbenches at single / multi:
300 / 550

A 2021 iPhone at:
1600 / 4500

That's 5x to 10x bound in the core compute capability for a phone over a laptop.

Well, graphics power has evolved as much or more because the GPU + media engines are highly specialized to tasks.

So there you have it.

You can get a discussion and catch up on the state of the art at macrumors.com, "Monterey on Unsupported Macs" thread.

But the response you got here is basically the answer: The 2009 is too old even for patched support in Monterey. A a previous macOS can still work while bridging the gap to a modern browser, etc.

What you are running into is that old HW doesn't have enough power to do transcoding at a baseline graphics generation, so they fall by the wayside.

In 2009 Intel was finally transitioned to fully 64bit with Core2, while for G-series GPU 1080HD decode was considered cutting edge.

PCs could play BluRay which is designed to for lighter weight decode while web video was typically SD. 30Hz QHD displays were top of line requiring exotica like DVI dual-link.

So there's a uncrossable graphics compute gap between that era and todays's 4K, inc full 4K transcode. And we're at point that latesr macOS dropped all hope of backwards compat because it is useless.

When the phone has dedicated HW that handles 4K 60Hz + in real time what good is the content it captures on a Mac that's struggling to handle 720 30Hz? No good at all.

To give you a sense of the progress...

A 2009 Macbook Pro Geekbenches at single / multi:
300 / 550

A 2021 iPhone at:
1600 / 4500

That's 5x to 10x bound in the core compute capability for a phone over a laptop.

Well, graphics power has evolved as much or more because the GPU + media engines are highly specialized to tasks.

So there you have it.
thanks for the reply, but then what are the opencore patches for? Opencore says that macs from 2008 to 2014 can be patched, maybe I didn't follow the issue well before

thanks for the reply, but then what are the opencore patches for? Opencore says that macs from 2008 to 2014 can be patched, maybe I didn't follow the issue well before
no idea as you haven't mentioned what you have done and what guide you followed

or you haven't mentioned exactly what the issue you are having with your software, saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help us in trying to help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back