HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apple has been granted a Trademark of the modern version of their "Apple Startup Chime," that has been used on Macs since 1999. According to the document, the music "consists of a sound mark consisting of a slightly flat (by approximately 30 cents) G flat/F sharp major chord."

6a0120a5580826970c017ee62d6bba970d-800wi.jpg

Source: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...rtup-chime-is-now-a-registered-trademark.html

Last edited:
Maybe now they start using it on iOS devices. :)

About Apple...it's always the same thing. You cannot make a copyright of a single note or a single chord!!! You cannot make a copyright for a sound made with a common synthetizer. Otherwise you could be able to sue almost the whole world!!! Pathetic

About Apple...it's always the same thing. You cannot make a copyright of a single note or a single chord!!! You cannot make a copyright for a sound made with a common synthetizer. Otherwise you could be able to sue almost the whole world!!! Pathetic

Wow, that's uncalled for. Is something else bothering you that you aren't telling us? Its obvious that you CAN, since Apple DID.

No, i'm a music producer and a law degree... simply seems to me pathetic to copyright one single chord!

No, i'm a music producer and a law degree... simply seems to me pathetic to copyright one single chord!

Great that you have a law degree, but as mentioned the US patent office seemed to think it had merit.

On another note I guess this makes it illegal for us to make our own apple chime on our hacks.

FWood is correct. It's unbelievable to me that some moron at the patent office allowed Apple to trademark a chord.
That is the musical equivalent of somebody trademarking an exclamation point.

dont like the idea of this, i could understand if it was a few chords, be a bit like a chemical company copyrighting h2o, or NaCL

FWood is correct. It's unbelievable to me that some moron at the patent office allowed Apple to trademark a chord.
That is the musical equivalent of somebody trademarking an exclamation point.

Agreed. I can think of at least 25 songs off the top of my head that use F# or has it for its key, whether major or minor, not to mention the thousands of pieces of work going back to the 17th and 18th centuries.

This now potentially invalidates any rights to any song written in Gmaj/Em, Dmaj/Bm, or any key that includes Gb/F#maj as a note. Good modern examples:

Hotel California (Eagles).
Fade to Black (Metallica).
Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana).
Beverly Hills (Weezer).

Classic examples:

Adagio in B Minor (Mozart).
Violin Concerto #2 (Paganini).
Mass in B Minor (J.S. Bach).
Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky).

Let's also throw in those written in F#maj/D#m:

Der Rosenkavalier (Strauss).
Piano Sonata Op. 78 (Beethoven).
Barcarolle (Chopin).

What's the big deal about this? Oh, only 350 years of PRIOR ART. Now, Apple could basically sue anyone who used that note, based on this trademark. Now, a note in a musical scale is the intellectual property of a computer company.

This is *not* good.

BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back