EVGA gtx 960SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,
I don't frequent the forums too often but I am deaperatelylooking for some help. I built my hackintosh almost 3 years ago and it had been running fine up until about 4 months ago. The windows 10 side functions perfectly fine, but the Mac side will freeze as soon as I try to start doing anything. Hoping someone has an idea of why this is happening and what I can do to fix it. Thank you in advance!

Does it freeze if you do not do anything?

I have a similar-sounding problem, although it sounds like it is probably ultimately different. Just in case, you could check your hard disc (e.g. with Disc Utility).
No if I just leave it be, for the most part it's fine. However, doing something like moving a file to a flash drive will cause it so just freeze up. What would I be looking for on disk utility?

What would I be looking for on disk utility?
Sorry for the delay.

My machine was already freezing arbitrarily, but it got much worse when I had corruption of my hard disc. You would be just doing a standard First Aid — click on your boot volume (or the whole hard disc, if you will) and click First Aid. (I think that, if there are problems, you have to boot in single-user mode to actually repair them; google (e.g.) "fsck macintosh single"; I am not up to speed on that.)

The core diagnostic question is whether it started doing this when you did something (such as installing a utility or changing System Preferences) or it just started by itself; in the latter case, you assume something either fell over by itself (which should be easy to fix) or actually is failing (hardware).

Again, not that I am expressly thinking that you do have hard disc problems, but… if there is a problem with your hard disc drive, hardware wise, then you should *not* use the -y flag in fsck, as that will just apply all repairs to everything, without asking/telling you. IF it is hardware (and this is good anyway, otherwise)… the first thing to do is to do a partition backup of how it is now — preferably of a type that does *not* understand (and fool around with (read "repair") ) the file system. If it is hardware, and if you just try repairing it first, you will probably wish you had not. (I read positive things about Carbon Copy Cloner. I am using Clonezilla, but that is not a GUI type, and is rather daunting the first couple of runs.)

Best wishes with it.

p.s. I am not aware of this being (readily) available in Windows itself, but, if your hard disc has SMART, you can check it in… <Apple logo menu>/About this Mac/System Report/(Hardware/)Storage — click on a volume in the top box, and the last line in the lower box should read, “SMART Status: Verified”. If not, act fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back