Contribute
Register

Mac Pro or PowerMac case: I'm so Confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
EP45-UD3P-FB
CPU
Quad core Xeon
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 9800
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Power Mac
  5. Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
It almost seems that it is time for me to rethink what I've done, but I can't find enough information to be sure.

Damn! I did it again. SOS got me again. (i.e. Shiny Object Syndrome) I have been working for the last couple of weeks to try to make a Hackintosh in one of my G5 PowerMac cases. I bought the Mountain Mods motherboard tray and backplate before I had searched the new setup out on TonyMacX86. I've had it for at least a month, lying there, taunting me.

I decided that the problem with all those builds was the Power Supply placement. So I decided to buy a 1U Server style Power Supply that I could put inside the case that the Apple Power Supply was in. Did that. Still haven't really decided how much computer I wanted. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338055

The problem seems to be that I can overrun this Mac Mini almost any time I want to, and that first Hackintosh isn't stable enough to be useful. I don't want to be putting my big disks on it and then trying to recover from a lightning strike. And hanging nine and a half terabytes of disk off this Mac Mini is rather a risk. (I have this board that multiplexes five SATA drives onto one cable and this other board that somehow demultiplexes that one cable onto one SATA cable that the Mac Mini thinks is five different drives… and a power glitch just took out the address table on a full two Terabyte drive and so I lost all those files. The drive is fine, I just had to reformat it.)

So I started to actually look at the internals on the case and realized that if I wanted a full ATX board in there I had to either cut the top shelf out (mostly) or cut the box the Power Supply was in (mostly). So what I really needed to do was build a suitable machine on a micro-ATX card. Well, that's not hard, but the micro-ATX card didn't have firewire so I would have to put a firewire card into one of the four slots on the motherboard. Well "That's No Fun." So then I saw a machine built from parts made by LaserHive in England.

http://www.thelaserhive.com/product...ts/g5-full-atx-kit-120-and-original-versions/

That 120mm fan version comes already set up for generic water cooling so it doesn't need to worry about fans and heat exchangers and like that… Well, I've been thinking of building two because I have two cases… And maybe I can get a couple hundred out of the Mac Mini and use it to build one of the PowerMac Hacks. And that's when I made my first mistake…

No matter what I did I was going to have to build a tiny extension cord to get to the power supply from the back of the case, and I'd given the two switched male outlets to my brother to use on another project and I didn't have any (with switches) left. No problem! I'd just go out on eBay and get a couple more. They only cost a couple dollars and there is plenty of time for them to get here from Taiwan…

I suspect that you've put it together already and know what I'm about to say… There was this tiny lapse of reason and I was looking to upgrade one of my searches that wasn't actually doing what I wanted it to do, and when I tested the changes it showed me about four G5 PowerMacs that supposedly worked and were about fifty bucks with about $50.00 Shipping that were closing in two hours. Some company dweeb had put four machines all the same up there to close their auctions all at the same time. That's foolish because if you have four bidders they will all bid on the first one and nobody will bid on the fourth one because they only want one. Now wouldn't that be a reasonable thing to replace the Mac Mini sez I to myself, there being no one here to disagree. And before I could cut off a single finger to show them who was truly in command, I'd bid on two.

Before I'd run a single search to see if the bottom had fallen out of the price market on the Intel versions. Two hours go by. The one that I intentionally bid bottom dollar, opening price, I got overbid. The second one disappeared. Where did it go? Did they cancel the auctions when they realized what they had done?

So I went to my "Cart" to pay for the two outlets, and there it was… For $77.00 I'd bought me another top of the line about six years ago Macintosh that supposedly runs. Well, I've been here before! So, by then my new search had completed and there were about 200 of the Intel version of the PowerPCs. I'll bet you could use one of them to build a hackintosh and you wouldn't have to buy a motherboard tray, a backplane, a power supply… That would save you a couple hundred right there… And looky there, there are four of them going for $199.00, and a bunch even cheaper. What ever am I going to do?

I'm guessing that I'm going to try to put the first Hackintosh in one of the cases and try and make it stable enough to use, OR I'll just slap Windows or UBUNTU on it and sell it to somebody else. That'll teach me for being too quick to jump into the pool.

So that sort of rolled around in the back of my head while I contacted LaserHive to see when they would begin shipping again. I was thinking it would be a good thing to actually make two since I had two PowerMac cases with broken motherboards.

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/powermac-g5-conversion-products/

And the thing is, all this is false economy when you can get the Intel Power PC for less than the price of the pieces you need to mount an ATX motherboard in the case. And you don't have to buy a tool to cut the aluminum. There are a hundred out there that should be selling for less than $500.00 and they probably still work. (Have you heard whether the Mac Pros have the capacitor problem that is killing all the PowerMacs? )

Lets add up the mistakes I've already made.

Mountain Mods motherboard tray 120.00?
1U power supply 130.00
Case (working when I bought it for about two weeks) $400.00 knocked down to about $90.00 if I bought it today as a broken machine.
bits and pieces 20.00
Two wiring harnesses for the front panel $80.00

So there are about six out there closing at one hour intervals so the person who misses the first one can bid on the next and the next, etc. starting at $199.00 with $81.17 shipping.

If this one that I bought works, I'll box up a machine and send it to my kid in LA. And I might try and get rid of the LifeHacker machine. It will work well as a Windows machine or an Ubuntu machine and there's a guy up here that wants something. I just hate selling stuff to friends who don't know how to fix it. I think I'd rather sell him the Mac Mini or something bullet-Proof. I need to bring it into town and have the superdrive replaced. That superdrive was such a stupid idea. You can't put a DVD or CD in it without ripping off the record head, and they knew that because their floppy drives failed for the same reason for decades.

Somebody tell me what you know about building a Hackintosh inside a Mac Pro, Please. I've heard the motherboard isn't strict ATX, but what does that mean?

My knowledgeable friend is recommending a NUC. I could stuff that down in the power supply box and fill the entire case with disk drives and flashing strobe lights and subwoofers... I'm so Confused.

Hah! I found something! http://youtu.be/tj0MU9MwfVg and it looks like a MountainMods motherboard tray. Not what I expected.

I decided to buy a 1U Server style Power Supply that I could put inside the case that the Apple Power Supply was in.
Eek! Being a server PSU the manufacturer doesn't bother to supply any acoustic noise numbers for this. But I'm betting that with the 40mm (?) fan it's quite a screamer. There's a reason we tend to go for big fans in things that are going to be in the same room as us...

Reading the rest of your post it really sounds like you want to go and read all the posts in the Mac Pro Mods forum on this site. And maybe the PowerMac G5 forum too.

Server power supplies in general are LOUD, 1U PSUs are even worse! You do not want to be in the same room as one for a very long time. Either get a regular ATX one anyway, or get ready for some serious PSU modding to cool it with a larger, quieter fan instead.

/Works with servers

So that sort of rolled around in the back of my head while I contacted LaserHive to see when they would begin shipping again. I was thinking it would be a good thing to actually make two since I had two PowerMac cases with broken motherboards.

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/powermac-g5-conversion-products/

And the thing is, all this is false economy when you can get the Intel Power PC for less than the price of the pieces you need to mount an ATX motherboard in the case. And you don't have to buy a tool to cut the aluminum. There are a hundred out there that should be selling for less than $500.00 and they probably still work. (Have you heard whether the Mac Pros have the capacitor problem that is killing all the PowerMacs? )

Lets add up the mistakes I've already made.

Mountain Mods motherboard tray 120.00?
1U power supply 130.00
Case (working when I bought it for about two weeks) $400.00 knocked down to about $90.00 if I bought it today as a broken machine.
bits and pieces 20.00
Two wiring harnesses for the front panel $80.00

Hah! I found something! http://youtu.be/tj0MU9MwfVg and it looks like a MountainMods motherboard tray. Not what I expected.

So I still haven't figured out what I want, but that's not necessarily a "bad" thing. I've messed with the Mac-mini and taken out the exotic Multiplexed SATA to Firewire connection and replaced it with the "e-sata USB Combo hub" and that is working fairly well. Good enough that the four Terabyte drive has stayed up for awhile. Good enough that I found a E-SATA to four SATA ports thingie out on e-Bay that somehow multiplexes four SATA drives over one cable. There are two problems with that, (one,) I actually have seven SATA drives on the Mac-Mini, though only five that are in the homemade external enclosure, and (two,) my fingers escaped the Chinese thumb cuffs that I had them restrained in while I was reading about the e-SATA Hub, and they bid on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard. Since I had chastised them so severely over the last episode they only bid the opening bid amount. Unfortunately, that motherboard has been replaced with a newer model so nobody bid on it. It was out there over three days and nobody bid on it to put me back into the I have no clue what I want to do category. So now I have a motherboard and I'm broke, broke, fortunate that I have lots of canned goods in the pantry place.

And last night I got bored.

Attachments

• IMGP1639.jpg
    IMGP1639.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 332
  • IMGP1642.jpg
    IMGP1642.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 435
  • IMGP1645.jpg
    IMGP1645.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 257
  • IMGP1649.jpg
    IMGP1649.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 267
  • IMGP1650.jpg
    IMGP1650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 481
  • IMGP1652.jpg
    IMGP1652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • IMGP1653.jpg
    IMGP1653.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 474
  • IMGP1657.jpg
    IMGP1657.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 484
  • IMGP1660.jpg
    IMGP1660.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • IMGP1661.jpg
    IMGP1661.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 534
And last night I got bored.

I just realized while looking at the cardboard that I used to determine where the Apple standoffs were that if MountainMods would have drilled the two holes for the Apple placement standoffs then I'd be done... Since we are probably their only/usual customer for these $120.00 Motherboard Trays then we should ask that they do that.

Then I realized that I have four PowerMac Pro motherboards here and I should be able to get the measurements off them and then the Motherboard Tray will just drop into position.

Does anyone know what the thread is on the Apple standoffs? I could just run in some bolts to the right height and then I'd have many braces holding the Motherboard Tray at the right height instead of merely two or four.

It's starting to look like an ATX case. I have to figure out where I want to put the power plug and on off switch still. There seem to be a couple of obvious choices, up in the wasted space between the outer shell and the hard drive trays, and just below the side release in that empty space there.

M3.5 on my G5

The screws that hold the back onto a PC-Clone case seem to be the ones. But regular PC standoffs are too small. Interestingly enough when I drilled a hole big enough for the Apple Motherboard Positioning Post on the side, then any of the Apple Standoffs that I could find are excellent to hold the motherboard tray in place. Almost like the Motherboard tray was made to be there.

And now that I've slept another night I remember that the on/off switch on the front works well to turn this thing on or off so all I really need on the back is a place to plug it in. That's trivial and about half the size of the other one. I do lose the fuse, but I could put an in-line fuse in the power cord jumper if it bothered me. These modern power supplies almost always have internal fuses anyway. Perhaps I should sleep on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back