UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
When, if ever, will Apple ARM Macs outpace desktop PCs or Hackintoshes for multitasking while doing intensive professional tasks?

Eg xcode or fcpx with 20 other programs and 100 tabs running?

When, if ever, will Apple ARM Macs outpace desktop PCs or Hackintoshes for multitasking while doing intensive professional tasks?

Eg xcode or fcpx with 20 other programs and 100 tabs running?
are you looking for a specific day and time?

are you looking for a specific day and time?

Haven't you polished up that crystal ball of yours yet ?

1597250122800.png

My guess is at least 2 or 3 years till we see an Apple Silicon MP. Will be interesting to see how they make that work. Will they simply replace the mobo and chip and keep the same case and PSU ? I highly doubt that. Will the CPU, GPU and Ram all be on the same chip as it will be in Macbooks and other Macs ? I think they will do a complete redesign for the Apple Si MP. It will certainly be much smaller than the current Intel version.

That's the first time I've ever been trolled :)

Answer any way you like. I guess you did. Question popped into my mind as I was buying some RAM.
I did not mean to troll you in any way, just my humour... :)

My guess is at least 2 or 3 years till we see an Apple Silicon MP. Will be interesting to see how they make that work. Will they simply replace the mobo and chip and keep the same case and PSU ? I highly doubt that. Will the CPU, GPU and Ram all be on the same chip as it will be in Macbooks and other Macs ? I think they will do a complete redesign for the Apple Si MP. It will certainly be much smaller than the current Intel version.
Yeah, from what I'm seeing, 2 years for an ARM Mac Pro. That'll be expensive though and so there'll still be a lot of hackpro interest. I agree they'll do custom modules to make it even more incompatible :)

It's if/when something thermally-constrained and inexpensive like a mid-tier macbook pro or an iMac starts benchmarking better than anything Intel supporting MacOS that I'd face a dilemma. Until then it's too much fun doing it this way.

Yeah, from what I'm seeing, 2 years for an ARM Mac Pro. That'll be expensive though and so there'll still be a lot of hackpro interest. I agree they'll do custom modules to make it even more incompatible :)

It's if/when something thermally-constrained and inexpensive like a mid-tier macbook pro or an iMac starts benchmarking better than anything Intel supporting MacOS that I'd face a dilemma. Until then it's too much fun doing it this way.

I would guess the first Mac book pro they release will bench as well or better then last years intel version. I pretty sure Apple waited long enough in the design process to ensure they were not taking a performance hit. Keep in mind apple has a long history of designing their own chips so they are not just some new kids on the block.

Will they simply replace the mobo and chip and keep the same case and PSU ? I highly doubt that.
Apple does have plenty form on this when doing the 68K-to-PPC transition and then PPC-to-Intel transition. During the first transition they carried a much (much!) larger range of models to now and some Power Macs did turn up in the same clothes as previous 68K models. Then of course the original "cheese grater" design was introduced with the Power Mac G5 in 2003 and they stayed with it for the Mac Pro until 2013.

Also the first PowerBook G3 was externally identical to the preceding PowerBook 3400 (both were PPC models though) and the same was true (apart from the camera) of the final G4 PowerBook versus the first MacBook Pro. Same for the last iMac G5 versus the first Intel iMac. With all that history in mind I'd be surprised to see a change of case design with change of platform given that they only just launched the case and are likely expecting act least 7 years out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back