Contribute
Register

Mac Pro (late 2013) replica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did BytesAndBolts ever post his blog?

I think I found it....

http://bytesandbolts.com/new-hackintosh-hack-pro-late-2013/

JuanLobo, did your bin have a circular ridge on the bottom? Mine does have one but I could not see any evidence of it on Sascha288's model. The diameter of it is too large to be removed by cutting the circular hole in the top, it will have to be filed/sanded I think. If yours does have one, how do you intend to remove it to give a smooth top to the case?
See attached pictures for comparison,
Thanks

Attachments

• Sascha's.jpg
    Sascha's.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 81793-bottom.jpg
    81793-bottom.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 733
Mine has that same ridge. I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll be cutting around the outside of it, or right on top of it. Last night I found my dremel routing attachment. It has a pinhole in the end that you can put a nail in to use as a centerpoint of rotation to make circles. I'm just going to use a 1/8" routing bit and cut a circle with it.

The diameter is pretty well decided by the grill I got...

http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-coo...fan-grills-en/modders-mesh-pc-fan-grills.html

I'm wondering if he used it as a guide and used a hand saw to follow the outside edge?

Yes, one option would be to cut around it, but I feel like that might make the hole too big for my liking, and looking at his pictures, his hole seems to be smaller (i.e. inside where the ridge should be, but there is no sign of a ridge).
As far as the hole goes, I was thinking ideally 10-11cm to match the size of the 120mm fan which will be inside, and to roughly match the real mac pro opening size. But only if I can find a way to neatly remove this ridge. It could take forever to sand/file, and I don't know how to go about cutting it...

edit: also, nice looking grille. that is the same sort of thing I am thinking for the top as it will exactly cover the fan, and will look neat from the top. I know I got a similar thing from the Laser Hive for my G5 mod, so perhaps I can do the same again for this...

PencilNotPen, I believe that sascha288 first sanded away the ridge of the bin and after that cut the hole. And I know everybody love Dremels (I also have one) but that is a job better done with a hole saw. They are expensive, though. :|

JuanLobo, I bow to your 3D drawing skill. I am just a humble beginner, your design looks awesome! :clap:

Ah, I thought it might have been a sanding job, what kind of material would you use to sand this plastic though? It is quite hard stuff. I agree with vinnycordeiro, the 3d model of the base is awesome.
JuanLobo, is it based exactly on the real Mac Pro base? Do you mind me asking how much it cost to have it made up?
Cheers guys

@JuanLobo,
Could you share the 3d file of your base-intake grill? I'm thinking of ordering the 3d print from the same 3d printer you mentioned earlier. Thanks in advance and for leading in the design of this wonderful replica.
Glopez007

OK JuanLobo. Thanks for the clarification. I was confused ... I see that things are going complicating despite copying 3D. Mucho ánimo!

I'll share the 3D file with these warnings:

1 - I have not received my print from shapeways, so I don't know if it will fit yet, or how good/bad the print quality is.
2 - It is $160 for the print. I really suggest waiting until mine comes in just so you don't waste $160 on something that doesn't work. (Should be here by the 10-14th)
3 - This is my first print, so I'm a noob at this!

View attachment 2013HackProV2bin.stl.zip

Pencil, this is my first 3d print. I went with Shapeways because the prints I had seen from extruded PLA printers looked really rough and lacking detail. I got a quote from a few other professional printers and they wanted between $200 and $500. I'm nuts, but not that nuts.

I don't know how much work it would be to smooth out a print from a PLA printer. I imagine regular sandpaper, maybe emory boards like you use for fingernails for the slots.

It is based on what I think the bottom grill on the Mac Pro looks like, not an exact replica. I made changes to add a power cord slot, and a place on the front for audio jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back