Mac Pro (late 2013) replica

Discussion in 'Mac Pro Mods' started by Dschijn, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr.Target

Mr.Target

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM #111
    Mr.Target

Mr.Target

Sascha288 thank you for the inspiration, I am in :D
    And I am also going to do some changes to your design, I am trying to do low power build:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-m...ca-late-2013-low-power-design.html#post758183

BTW, I really like the idea of turning the top of the trash can upside down, this is really useful and it is nice example of thinking out of the box ;)

(unrelated) Do you you realize how much did you help to the company making these thrash cans? They should give you part of the profit :D

2. PencilNotPen

PencilNotPen

Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro
    Feb 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM #112
    PencilNotPen

PencilNotPen

Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro
    Sascha, how did you do the small Apple logo on the front and back? Also, did you paint it yourself? How, and what did you use?
    Thanks!

3. bamboreta

bamboreta

Mobo:
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
    CPU:
    i7 3770K 3,5
    Graphics:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Feb 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM #113
    bamboreta

bamboreta

Mobo:
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
    CPU:
    i7 3770K 3,5
    Graphics:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Hi sascha! Please, What power supply did you use in your building and how you attached? Thanks.
    Finally my order has come from Germany and I have the original Lunar trashcan by Authentics. I should start by some part...;)

4. szzs

szzs

Mobo:
    HP ProBook 6460b (Clover)
    CPU:
    i7
    Graphics:
    HD3000, 1366x768
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Mar 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM #114
    szzs

szzs

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i7
    Graphics:
    HD3000, 1366x768
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    The problem of this mod is that: who make it, does not understand at all the essence of the innovation of the new mac pro!
    The innovation is not the round shape!
    It is just the result. The really new and innovative is that Apple loosing the separate heat sinks and fans and all the hot parts are connected to a huge, well heated heatsink!
    So simple!
    Of course the best, and most effective way to cool this huge heatsink, if it is standing, so that is why became a tower shape. It is just a little add if it is not a square based shape, or rounded square but all round... Does not matter...

So if you want to make a replica, at least as the principle of Apple, than should remove all the extra cooling elements from main board and the video card and change the position vice, towards to a big heatsink. It will require some more addition small alloy or coper elements to make good heat connection between the hot parts (CPU, GPU etc) element and heatsink.

This way as it is written here in this topic is a complete project is a waste of time and stupidity...

5. Dschijn

Dschijn

Mobo:
    10.8.4 (ML) & Win8 64bit
    CPU:
    i7-3770K @ 4,4GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW Signature 2
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Mar 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM #115
    Dschijn

Dschijn

Mobo:
    10.8.4 (ML) & Win8 64bit
    CPU:
    i7-3770K @ 4,4GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW Signature 2
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    @szzs: Troll?

It is NOT possible to do that, because you are limited in the size of Mainboard and in the option to make a heatsink.
    But thanks that you registered here to spread your wise words ^^

6. Mr.Target

Mr.Target

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:42 PM #116
    Mr.Target

Mr.Target

So you have just logged in to let us know that we are all stupid? And you know that because your opinion is the right one? Seriously, there must be a beautiful picture of a troll somewhere on the Internet you should set as your avatar :thumbup:

7. JuanLobo

JuanLobo

Mobo:
    Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
    CPU:
    i7-4770
    Graphics:
    MSI GTX 760 ITX
    Mac:
    MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Mar 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM #117
    JuanLobo

JuanLobo

Mobo:
    Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
    CPU:
    i7-4770
    Graphics:
    MSI GTX 760 ITX
    Mac:
    MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    I'm sure he is the type who managed to get a CPU in the socket the right way around and got a motherboard to successfully post. That is all he needed to be an expert.

Congratulations on completely missing the point. When the new mac pro came out, many said it looked like a trash can. How better to show your humor and ingenuity than to make one FROM a trash can.

I, as I suspect Sascha, thought about a "thermal core" but found that it would require equipment we dont have to properly machine a heatsink to fit over and around the components of an off the shelf GPU. There were many other considerations, but I wont bother you with the details as clearly you wouldn't understand.

8. szzs

szzs

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i7
    Graphics:
    HD3000, 1366x768
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Mar 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM #118
    szzs

szzs

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i7
    Graphics:
    HD3000, 1366x768
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Sorry if misunderstood my words... When i wrote stupidity that was concerned to the project on THIS way!
    I am sure that the target was not the "making toilet brush or trash bin shape computer". The essence, and the innovation not the shape.
    It is not a waste of time at all, trying the most effective cooling system, without the risk of water-cooling and also extremely silent. Also, a good target to achieve simultaneously the most compact size.
    However just thinking about the round shape without any special idea about the more effective cooling, noise reduction, etc is a work for nothing.... so, ....
    Meantime there are a lot of risks with special mounting of parts, and so on.

I would like to see such a mod, which use the Apple idea, and change the panels to opposite towards to a big common heatsink with some sub metal element for heat bridge between the hot parts and the heatsink. The huge advantage is the smaller unit, less fan,and due to the horizontal arrangement a massive native cooling potential.
    This is better, than the water-cooling method because no water leakage risk, no water pump noise, no big water radiator...
    For me, if the final box shape is a pretty rounded corner square, or all round, does no matter... (may be even looks better...)

May be another big size reduction and silent / perfect cooling solution should be a peltier element cooling system, but it may requires big current power supply... Just an idea, may be a good PSU can supply enough current on the 3.3V / 5 V which enough for the purpose... I may calculate...

So, I would like to see such a creative mods...
    (... and finally I even do not understand the word of "troll"....)

9. PJALM

PJALM

Mobo:
    ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
    CPU:
    2x Intel Xeon E5-2683 v3
    Graphics:
    Sapphire AMD FirePro W9100
    Mar 15, 2014 at 1:10 AM #119
    PJALM

PJALM

Mobo:
    ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
    CPU:
    2x Intel Xeon E5-2683 v3
    Graphics:
    Sapphire AMD FirePro W9100

Geez give these people a break. All they wanted to do was make a "replica" as in a look alike. People like the looks of the new Mac Pros so whats the big deal here? I think these builds are amazing and inovative and would love to see more like them. Not everything must be "exact" you know. Sure I bet they would love to be able to come up with some sort of thermal core but its not gonna be very easy with the way mobos and parts are right now. Maybe with the mobo from a Brix or NUC then there may be a better chance but then no GFX card so you win some and lose some.

To sugest a peltier element for cooling indicates to me that you really don't understand how they work. It would create a huge amount of condensation buildup which in turn could kill the electronics. If the ice was to melt as it does when you power them off, it could drip into the PSU which would be extremely dangerous. Also they need 12v not 3v3 or 5v and quite the wattage too.

BTW what risk is there with water cooling? You do realize none of the All-In-One "water" coolers actually use water anymore right? They use a non-conductive coolant instead and are a completely sealed system? Where is the risk?

If you think you can do better then do so, we would love to see your ideas instead of shouting them at people.

Keep up the great work people, love these builds :D

10. jerdav2009

jerdav2009

Mobo:
    Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3-F3
    CPU:
    Intel 2700k 4.5 GHz
    Graphics:
    Zotac ZT-70401-10P GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone: