Contribute
Register

Mac Pro Front IO issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's the quick rundown. I just scored a HEVENLY / PRESTINE - gutted, never even been to factory cheese grater mac pro tower with stickers / plastic still on it from someone on craigslist for $20, with full intent on SOMEHOW building a video editing PC inside with minimal to NO cutting. ( I know... ambitious.)

Here's what makes matters worse. I'm in the dark and clueless about most things computing. I have a general knowledge, but have never tackled a hackintosh previously. I have however actually built / know how to build a pc when everything is like adult legos! I've even managed to build a few PC's for audio recording purposes that are still running strong to this day, but beside that - I'm by no means an expert on which connectors are which, etc. ( other than obvious "Standards" ) I do have a general interest in these things, and def want to do this mod as my first Hackintosh.

Anyway - here's issue number ONE ( of so many to come )

This case, having never seen a factory has NO identification whatsoever ANYWHERE. No model, serial, etc. No guts other than a few fans. I do however KNOW thats' its newer than a G5 because of internal layout.

Item one on docket : The front power I/O

From the outside it has :

Power button
1/8 inch headphone
USB
USB
Firewire 800
Firewire 800

okay... LITERALLY just got a message from a friend saying it was the 922-8889 version of the front IO

With that new info, my question is still the same...

How do I transition from what appears to be the 22 pin port on that front panel into the jumpers / pins on an ATX motherboard?
I've seen it done with the other variant of the front panel. In fact I've even found pre made cables for this purpose alone, just not for mine. Every article Ive found is either the other I/O or so old the photos have been deleted, or both!

To be quite honest about it, I don't even mind if the Firewire ports on said front panel are in working order, as I will most like NEVER use them.

Any help, guidance, or CONSTRUCTIVE comments welcome. Just because I'm not computer genius, doesn't mean I don't have a soul. I'm human, same as you. Lets be adults.

Attachments

• 25400878_1502200673161742_2015767476_o.jpg
    25400878_1502200673161742_2015767476_o.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,581
  • 25383265_1502200953161714_341979175_o.jpg
    25383265_1502200953161714_341979175_o.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,226
So here's the quick rundown. I just scored a HEVENLY / PRESTINE - gutted, never even been to factory cheese grater mac pro tower with stickers / plastic still on it from someone on craigslist for $20, with full intent on SOMEHOW building a video editing PC inside with minimal to NO cutting. ( I know... ambitious.)

Here's what makes matters worse. Im in the dark and clueless about most things computing. I have a general knowledge, but have never tackled a hackintosh previously. I have however actually built / know how to build a pc when everything is like adult legos! I've even managed to build a few PC's for audio recording purposes that are still running strong to this day, but beside that - Im by no means an expert on which connectors are which, etc. ( other than obvious "Standards" ) I do have a general interest in these things, and def want to do this mod as my first Hackintosh.

Anyway - heres issue number ONE ( of so many to come )

This case, having never seen a factory has NO identification whatsoever ANYWHERE. no model, serial, etc. No guts other than a few fans. i do however KNOW thats its newer than a G5 because of internal layout.

Item one on docket : The front power I/O

From the outside it has :

Power button
1/8 inch headphone
USB
USB
Firewire 800
Firewire 800

okay... LITERALLY just got a message from a friend saying it was the 922-8889 version of the front IO

With that new info, my question is still the same...

How do I transition from what appears to be the 22 pin port on that front panel into the jumpers / pins on an atx motherboard?
I've seen it done with the other variant of the front panel. In fact i've even found pre made cables for this purpose alone, just not for mine. every article ive found is either the other I/O or so old the photos have been deleted, or both!

To be quite honest about it, I don't even mind if the Firewire ports on said front panel are in working order, as i will most likelt NEVER use them.

Any help, guidance, or CONSTRUCTIVE comments welcome. Just because i'm not computer genuis doesnt mean i font have a soul. Im human, same as you. Lets be adults.

Chris welcome to the forum. A Mac Pro hack is a major project but you have found the right place to be for support. As long as you have the presence of mind to ask questions you should be alright. My standard advice is the take a look at the conversion kits available from the Laser Hive as these can be very helpful. Also you should scan the Mac Pro conversion threads for details and hints to the way forward.

Some of the threads here have fallen into a sad state as the photos are no longer hosted by the original source. So while my hack is just one example, the thread is intact at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-mac-pro-hack.28892/

As with most projects, the selection of motherboard, CPU, GPU and PSU are key. There are many ways to approach the project and it is best to plan ahead. i advise building a working system on the table and when every thing works as you want it to, move it into the Mac Pro case.

Good modding,
neil

Chris welcome to the forum. A Mac Pro hack is a major project but you have found the right place to be for support. As long as you have the presence of mind to ask questions you should be alright. My standard advice is the take a look at the conversion kits available from the Laser Hive as these can be very helpful. Also you should scan the Mac Pro conversion threads for details and hints to the way forward.

Some of the threads here have fallen into a sad state as the photos are no longer hosted by the original source. So while my hack is just one example, the thread is intact at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-mac-pro-hack.28892/

As with most projects, the selection of motherboard, CPU, GPU and PSU are key. There are many ways to approach the project and it is best to plan ahead. i advise building a working system on the table and when every thing works as you want it to, move it into the Mac Pro case.

Good modding,
neil

Hello Neil!

I appreciate the input. I have done a decent amount of research on this forum and others before deciding to attempt this project of mine, and its by no means a "Now or Never" ordeal. It was meant to be a somewhat drawn out construction. I have already found the Lazer Hive, as well as the G5 pre made jumper cables (which wont work with my IO) and seen both their replacement Front I/O's as well as the back panels with and without motherboard trays.

However -

As stated before (whether I end up sticking to it by the end or not), my main goal for this project was to not cut the case if at all possible, utilizing as much stock hardware as possible and maintaining the authentic Mac Pro aesthetic as much as I possibly can - most notably the front power IO and the drive sleds/bays internally. At this point I've come to terms that the back IO will have to be cut out to accompany the new motherboard. A friend suggested leaving the original and no using any of the new MOBO's back IO, and just utilizing PCI cards for what's really needed - keeping the new mobo back panel hidden. That just seems cheap and lazy to me though.

As for parts - I've been looking into the Hackintosh compatible parts lists on this site to make sure I have as few issues as possible throughout this process as possible. A trial run before install was always in the cards as well. However, thank you for that advice. I'm sure some people get it all in only to realize they're hosed...

I'm still just taking it one step at a time, and the first step for me is the power button (without replacing it for the Lazer Hive version, if possible). Are there pre made cables for this particular front panel, or a DIY solution that isn't very difficult to make this work with the ports of a modern ATX where the umbilicals would normally go?

Thanks for everyone's time, and accommodating someone with limited knowledge. We all have to start somewhere, right?

-Chris

Chris I looked through my junk bins to see if I had one the Mac Pro Front panels. Anyway I did not find one but thought that if I needed one i would look on EBay. And sure enough there is this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-Mac-...nel-Board-820-2338-A-WITH-Cable-/401199071454

IMO the price is okay and it has the Apple cable. With an ohm meter and a few hours you could map the cabling needed to mate this part to a PC motherboard. Not easy, but doable.

Good modding,
neil

Chris I looked through my junk bins to see if I had one the Mac Pro Front panels. Anyway I did not find one but thought that if I needed one i would look on EBay. And sure enough there is this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-Mac-...nel-Board-820-2338-A-WITH-Cable-/401199071454

IMO the price is okay and it has the Apple cable. With an ohm meter and a few hours you could map the cabling needed to mate this part to a PC motherboard. Not easy, but doable.

Good modding,
neil

I think you've somewhat misunderstood the issue, which may have been on my part. Saying my case was purchased gutted was misleading. Mine DOES have the front IO in the case. That and the drive sleds and the fans were the only things in it.

With myself nor anyone I know being inclined enough, ( there's the not easy BUT DOABLE. Doable keeping me hopeful! ) I was hoping / wondering if there was a cable that would transition that particular io part to an atx board ( like modern case umbilicals? )

I know there are cables pre made you can purchase for the G5 front io - but I haven't been able to find anything to even point in the right direction for this particular one. I do however, appreciate the help, effort, and research!

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to either cut this case and use mod parts, which I DO NOT want to do - or sell this case because it's too new of a model. It's just a shame because it's PRESTINE. Not a scratch, scrape, or dent anywhere :(

The photo attached is what I'm after really, it I can't find any sort of diagram or any other info. I've found all of be parts needed for this for under $10 USD - but still I knowledge on what I'm doing.

Attachments

• IMG_4117.PNG
    IMG_4117.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 771
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back