Contribute
Register

Mac Pro front firewire, usb, audio - part number (820-2201-A) in a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490m GamingX
CPU
i5 10500
Graphics
RX460
Mac
  1. iMac
I recently bought an old Mac Pro case and have been moving the parts from the old eMachines case to this one. The Mac Pro case still had the front-panel USB, Firewire 400 and 800, and audio card. See https://applemacpartservices.wordpress.com/2018/05/03/board-front-panel-mac-pro-820-2201/).

Where can I find more info about this card? Can I use it or not? I plugged it into my mother board via the SATA cable and got a weird bios message about the power levels.

I see that you have not received a response here yet. I am also building a case with this front panel In it. Have you found any other info?
Best answer I have found so far is...

That SATA connector is wired for a usb connection and not a standard USB or SATA

I am yet to set down with a multimeter.
Yet to be confirmed http://aquamac.proboards.com/thread/501

MacPro-FrontPanel.gif

Mac Pro - Front Panel woes... And solution!

I had so much good luck with information posted on the Aquamac site that I didn't think I'd have any problems with the front panel pinouts...

However, after wiring to the Aquamac diagram, I found that neither of my USB ports worked... After much tinkering, it looks like the +5 volt supply for the two USB ports was all that was missing. So, here is my revised version of the Front Panel wiring diagram.

MacPro-FrontPanel.gif

Note that the 2 "lower front" pins power the individual USB ports. The "frontmost" pin powers the upper USB port and the pin next to it powers the lower USB port. I just twisted all 3 of the +5 volt lines together and spliced them into a single +5 volt line from the SATA power connector.

The "green" line/wire provides power for the front panel white LED (power on).

The "purple" line/wire provides the Power button signal for the motherboard. Neither the LED or Power button require a ground line as long as the "black" line/wire is connected properly to the system ground.

What is missing from this diagram is the "SATA" cable that is used to carry the USB signals to the motherboard. Many of the other threads out there about hacking the front panel talk about use of SATA/eSATA to encapsulate USB... Well, that's just garbage. Not sure why Apple chose to use this "standard" connector in a non-standard approach, but it probably came down to cost. These connectors are used so widely that they are probably very cheap. While it happens to have a SATA connector on it, it is simply used as a piece of shielded 2 pair cable (happens to NOT be twisted pair). I used a "left" angle black SATA cable (bought at NewEgg).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123282

This cable has the angled connector in the opposite direction from the "standard" right-angle SATA connector (I guess that's why people call it a Left-angle connector??). It is the proper orientation for the cable header and points towards the motherboard.

Cut off the "straight" end of the cable and either splice on an existing USB header connector or buy a new USB header connector and attach to the end of the USB cable (that's what I did).

I did use Aquamac's wiring diagram for this cable:
Mac-Pro-USB-Connection.jpg

Works great!

I have no Firewire ports on my motherboard and don't really see a need for them, so I won't be connecting those any time soon.

When I figure out the audio header, I'll post that too...

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I'm glad you got it working.

I have put this project aside temporarily while I work on a new case mod: PowerMac G4 2x450 Mhz case. Now, I need the front panel layout or solution for the 820-1178-A front panel.

I will bookmark this page and come back to it. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back