Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, long-time lurker here. I'm finally pulling the trigger on a Mac Pro ATX conversion, I have sourced a MacPro1,1 in great condition for a pretty good price. My goal is to have a clean build (no case cutting). To that effect, I see some of you have been using some custom PCBs to facilitate hooking up the case I/O to a regular mATX motherboard.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what the case compatibility is for these custom boards? and perhaps on the different kinds available?

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you have a good experience with your project.

As far as adapter boards that fit the Mac Pro and accept PC motherboards; these are few and mainly sourced from China. Look at oentz's threads as he is the main mover and shaker in that area. For example see his current thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-mods/100617-detailed-mac-pro-2010-pcb-mod.html .

IMHO most projects that set out to not cut the case take on a huge task and I think that many are never completed. My mission is not to change your mind, but to share my view of the world quickly and then get out of your face. If you are set on a Mac Pro, then your task is much more manageable if you go the Micro ATX mother board route. The full ATX motherboard can be done but is not an easy task (just too large for the space available). Set your goals and do your research with an open mind so that you can make sound decisions (some decisions will make your project easier and others will make it almost impossible).

And it is generally accepted that it is easier to complete a G5 Power Mac hack project. Mac Pro holds the attraction for many of us and we have to do at least one project.

Again welcome to the Workshop,
neil

Thanks for the warm (and informative) welcome, Neil!

Indeed, it does seem like in for heck of a ride with this case. I just gutted the donor machine to familiarize myself with how it was originally put together, and that in of its own was quite the process. I do quite like the elegance of the case, as such I'll do my best to try to figure this out without cutting the rear of the case.

From what I currently understand, this will likely involve going PCI only for I/O, or figuring out a way to map the motherboard ports to the original connectors. It seems like the custom PCB route can facilitate a lot of things in this regard, but as I mentioned I'm unclear as to how to pick/get one for my specific project. Thanks for the tip on this, I'll further study Oentz's posts on the topic.

As far as form factor, you've definitely convinced me that micro ATX is the way to go - specially since I would love to be able to reuse the hot plug hard drive bays. :)

In the case that I have to install a custom rear I/O bay, and have to make cuts to the case material: What would be your recommended tool/technique? Would dremel cutting discs suffice?

This is a well traveled path and well documented here on TonyMac. I use the Mac Pro project completed by Mooner as a standard reference (you will see it listed below).

And you will need a dremel and cutting disks along with a selection of files should you start working on the metal. As I look at it, purchasing tools is an investment and the tools remain after the project.

Good modding
neil

Well I spent some time typing out a well thought out and helpful answer but it had to be screened by a mod for some reason and I guess it didn't get posted. I guess the mods aren't interested in helpful posts.

Well I spent some time typing out a well thought out and helpful answer but it had to be screened by a mod for some reason and I guess it didn't get posted. I guess the mods aren't interested in helpful posts.

Oh, did it have a link by any chance? I've run into issues with that sort of thing in the past. I hope you reconsider sharing. :)

As far as my project goes, I've spent some time this weekend trying to figure out how I'd go about fitting things in the mac pro case. I've also extracted the PSU and the divider on the upper shelf. I am now trying to sort out how to go about mounting my AX1200 without having to cut a PSU size hole in the back. Considering that I've used optical media twice in the last 3 years, I might just forgo a drive altogether and just use the top shelf for power + cable management...

I've also been hoarding information about cabling, etc (you guys are have all been pretty awesome about documenting your builds). And after owning nothing but hand me downs growing up, I will be going in on my first nice soldering station to help with building cables. Pretty excited about this project.

Oh, did it have a link by any chance? I've run into issues with that sort of thing in the past. I hope you reconsider sharing. :)

As far as my project goes, I've spent some time this weekend trying to figure out how I'd go about fitting things in the mac pro case. I've also extracted the PSU and the divider on the upper shelf. I am now trying to sort out how to go about mounting my AX1200 without having to cut a PSU size hole in the back. Considering that I've used optical media twice in the last 3 years, I might just forgo a drive altogether and just use the top shelf for power + cable management...

I've also been hoarding information about cabling, etc (you guys are have all been pretty awesome about documenting your builds). And after owning nothing but hand me downs growing up, I will be going in on my first nice soldering station to help with building cables. Pretty excited about this project.

I would gladly repost it but it had links, and without the links, the post is worthless... I can't PM you either because I'll get in trouble for trying to help you without the community seeing it even though the mods won't let me post it in the first place.....

Jeffinslaw

I would gladly repost it but it had links, and without the links, the post is worthless... I can't PM you either because I'll get in trouble for trying to help you without the community seeing it even though the mods won't let me post it in the first place.....

Jeffinslaw

That is rather unfortunate. But not to worry, thanks anyway!

Jeffinslaw

The OP is going to have to google it out.
The source of the PCB items are not allowed here, do to some issues with the original builder of these parts and the rules of our site.

That is all I am going to get into here. Is also the reason that I opened up a PCB section of the forum for people share designs and ideas. I had at one time asked the maker and designer of the Mac Pro PCBs to offer up the design to share with the community but that was interpreted the wrong way, lots of language issues.

The OP is going to have to google it out.
The source of the PCB items are not allowed here, do to some issues with the original builder of these parts and the rules of our site.

That is all I am going to get into here. Is also the reason that I opened up a PCB section of the forum for people share designs and ideas. I had at one time asked the maker and designer of the Mac Pro PCBs to offer up the design to share with the community but that was interpreted the wrong way, lots of language issues.

After some effort, I managed to track down and have a chat with the gentleman behind those PCB designs. Unfortunately, none of his current designs are a fit for my machine (MacPro 1,1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back