Geforce 470 GTX
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

I'm sorry for my bad English :). Currently I'm running an AMD-Hackintosh and this plattform create many problems with OSX. I have to wait for year to get a new kernel and i have a few little problems more (sleep, etc).
During the last days I saw a few G5/MacPro Case Mods and so I want to do my own case mod ... that'll be my first case mod.

Here's the config I'm thinking about:
CPU: i5-2500k / i7-2600k (preferred)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-M Pro
Graphics: Zotac 470 GTX AMP!
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DD3-1333
Case: MacPro 2008 / MacPro 2009 Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M600
Optical Drive: LG GH-22NS
Hard Drive: Samsung HD103SJ F3 1 TB
WLAN: Linksys WMP600N-EU

I have everything except the CPU and the motherboard right now and I will add a Blu-Ray Drive, a SSD and a new WLAN card in the future. I think that will fit in the MP Case. I don't want to mod the case to much, it should close to a "real" MP ^^.

Here are my questions:
- Do I need a mobotray? The ASUS-board is a MATX-board, I think a mobotray is only needed if you want to use a ATX-board!?
- Which original components can I use (fans, ...)? Are the original fans good enough?
- Which case is better? 2008 or 2009 MP?
- Does anyone have a tip where I can buy the cases (other shops than ebay?)? I have found the webshop http://www.dvwarehouse.com, but I think the cases are too cheap :?.
- Which parts of the cases do I have to cut? I know that I have to mod the backpanel for my motherboard.

Thank you in advice and greetings from Austria,
Julian.

Cyberratchet said:
Here are my questions:
- Do I need a mobotray? The ASUS-board is a MATX-board, I think a mobotray is only needed if you want to use a ATX-board!?
- Which original components can I use (fans, ...)? Are the original fans good enough?
- Does anyone have a tip where I can buy the cases (other shops than ebay?)? I have found the webshop http://www.dvwarehouse.com, but I think the cases are too cheap :?.
- Which parts of the cases do I have to cut? I know that I have to mod the backpanel for my motherboard.

Julian.

Español?

I use a Power Mac G5. Some of the guys here in the forum think about this case, is more easy to made the mod. The MacPro, for me only have the difference of the two opticals drive, and two usb port in front, but the rest, is the same, because putting your mobo, you will lost 2 HD bay.

-About the mobo tray, you choose that. I see some MP moding cutting the back. for the G5, there is a guy in InsanelyMac, and he make the back panel, so you don't need to cut. The other thing, the front panel is different.
-Wich part? I don't know in the MacPro, but in the PowerMac you can use everything. In fact, I'm still searching for a old psu and change for a pc psu. I mean, you could use all, but you need mod all. The fans are in 12v, and you need change to 5v, because they are too loud. I use the native cable, but you need made a connector for that. The psu, you can put your own in that psu case. Is the most "easy" way to make more similar to a PowerMac. The fans and other things from the MP, really I don't know.

-Wich case? I have PM, I can't respond. A good place where to buy? ebay, or in a local service. I get the case in Venezuela in a web page where the people buy and sel mac things. About the cut, again, that depend of you case, and the way you decide to do...

If you use a mATX motherboard then you can reuse the Macs logicboard standoffs with now issues. You will need something like JB weld to glue them into place.

The only thing if you place your motherboard tray in with out an aftermarket tray is the rear IO ports. If you look at some of the mods here you will see what I mean.

As Abel mentions you can pretty much reuse most of the Mac components. There are a lot of resources that you can did up that explain how to do it all. If you can't find them then just ask and somebody here will alway be able to guide you in the right direction.

As for what case is better I am unsure. For me the G5 was better choice and very easy to mod. My next one might be a Mac Pro, maybe 2009 or 2010 just so I know what I am talking about when people ask about them.

And now for buying, where are you located at? I here in the States and have several choices to pic from. Like you posted DvWarehouse, ebay, Craigslist and Backpage just to name some. Look for any free sites for selling or what not and you might find something.

Also ask friends as well, you never know who has a G5 or MAc Pro that doesn't work any more and it's just sitting there. You ask a frind and they are like "yeah my uncle Buck has one of those thats broke he wants to get rid of" and BAM you just snagged a case for cheap!
Thats just a possible reenactment but you never know where you will find one :D

Goodluck

Cyberratchet said:
Hi guys,
Here are my questions:

Julian.

A G5 Power Mac or a Mac Pro conversion done well is a major engineering task. These can be a real works of art or can be ugly hacks. You can only do this for your own satisfaction as you will spend more then you could hope to recover through a sale.

Anyway I have done a G5 PM hack which I use as my main machine. I am currently working on a 2008 Mac Pro hack.

I have the Asus P8P67-Mpro MB with i7-2600k which will end up in the Mac Pro hack.

I am using the existing PCI slots and no tray. The original chassis standoffs are too tall for this approach, no problem just use the correct height ones. I will retain functionality of the 4 HDD trays, position the MB to use the top 4 of the 5 PCI slots. I have an ATX PSU guts installed into the original PSU sheet metal so that the top shelf will appear original. Also will be reusing the original top shelf fan. This is a work in process.

If you have not already been aquamac's web you should go read the 40 pages on this subject.

See: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 460&page=5

I hope this helps.
neil

motherboard trays let you do something like this:

3036.jpg

the rear ports and card slots are on the tray, and therefore, it gives you a clean look while giving you easy access to all the ports. to compare, when I did this with a G3 Power Mac without a tray, I had to offset the motherboard, and it left about a 4cm gap in between the case and the ports.

IMG_0441.jpg

Using the stock holes is possible, and will give you the cleanest look, but can be very hard to do.

For the different version cases, I personally prefer the G5 Power Mac, especially because they seem to be much more abundant, and cheaper.

The fan issue all depends on what your new system will need in terms of cooling. Also, I have heard that the fans run on a non-standard voltage. Best bet would be to go for a few 120mm fans from an online retailer. As for the website you found, $88 is not too bad for a case, especially since you can return it if you don't like it. I paid $60 for mine from ebay.

Thanks for the replys,

I think I'm going for a G5 Case, you don't get any MP Cases in Europe and shipping costs about 150$ (USA to Austria).
abelpinate said:
I use a Power Mac G5. Some of the guys here in the forum think about this case, is more easy to made the mod. The MacPro, for me only have the difference of the two opticals drive, and two usb port in front, but the rest, is the same, because putting your mobo, you will lost 2 HD bay.
I don't really need 2 optical drives and I only need 2 front USB Slots (Headset & USB-Stick/iPhone)^^. The reason why I'm choosing a mATX Board is that I don't want to lose any of the HD bays. Hmm so I'm able to use a normal ATX Board now ... ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (ATX) vs ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z(mATX) :lol: .

I love the look of te HD Bays, did someone have successfuly placed one HD Bay below the other? So that you have a vertical row of HD Bays or maybe 2 rows with 2 Bays. If not, I'm going to try this^^.

I will use normal fans now, I'm going to overclock my CPU/GPU and do some gaming and FCPX. eelhead, you are using 92mm fans in your rear fan housing ?! Are they enough to keep your system cool?

2 other questions:
- Will my PSU in the right corner of the G5 Case? Width*Depth*Height = 150x86x150mm
- Are there diffent frontpanel layouts for the G5s?

I think this will be the final configuration:
  • CPU: i7-2600k[/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z (/ASUS P8Z68-V PRO)[/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • GPU: Zotac 470 GTX AMP[/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • Case: PowerMac G5[/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M60[/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • Optical Drive: LG GH-22NS [/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • Storage: 120 GB Vertex 3 & (1|2)Samsung HD103SJ F3 1 TB [/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • RAM: 4GB G.Skill DD3-1333 [/*:m:1jkaecfx]
  • WLAN: BCM94322MC [/*:m:1jkaecfx]

Well, like neilhart say: some mod are piece of art, and other, are only beautiful in the outside... in the inside, they are a disaster.

About your question of the PSU, I'm in that point right know. This is my mod: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=22922

As you can see and read, I want to do in a better way, but I'm looking for a old G5 PSU... If you can find it, yes, you could place your psu inside the old case of the psu. You can buy or get one damage. Right know, I'm looking for one. When I get that piece, I'm sure I will get a better look inside. Other thing I want is the middle plate... the Gus mod, for me is the most G5 closely made...

I read about the HD bay... I use the original G5, but many people don't use the native black cable. I made the connection, but you need to be very carefully.

About the diagram of the front panel, they are a lot, but all are the same... the best is this:
file.php

And, like the guys say: anything, ask here...

An finally, I'm sure you could find one in your local town or capital... like me... when I was thinking to leave the project in my mind, a men send me a email selling me his case... A epic win, because the shipment to Venezuela was very very high...

Ah, about the usb ports, if you have a keyboard with usb, and a wireless mouse, I'm sure maybe you don't will going to us the two usb... right now, even the unique port in the front I use sooometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back