HD 7750
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I finally got around to doing the front panel USBs on my Mac Pro mod and while testing to make sure I had the wiring correct (I didn't) I noticed that my temperatures without the front Mac Pro case fan array (2x120mm fans) were about the same, maybe even a degree or two cooler. So here is the question. Should I put them back in there? On the leave them out side: the computer is much quieter - I can only hear the occasional click of the HDD and the stupid GPU fan. On the put em back in side: That large chunk of grey plastic covers up what can only be described as either a rat's nest or box of snakes. I realize putting them back in doesn't fix my sad excuse for cable management - it is really just like putting lipstick on a pig - but on those occasions when I do take the side panel off I am more likely to get an oooooo!! rather an wwwwwwww! Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Well....... last week, I received a motherboard tray (Lian Li mATX), so I fitted it. Because the position of the tray is different to my original layout, I cannot put the processor tray back in (until I modify it of course).

Which meant the fans did not go back in either.

I noticed the same as you, not much difference in temps. The main difference, was the HDD temps, slightly increased after some time. It was only after going into Windows and playing some games (Far Cry 3, Dishonoured & Metro 2033) that I noticed that temps rocketed. My GPU fan was whining like never before and the HDD temps (not SSD) were high, and overall case temps were high.

I removed the side of the case, and was struck by a heat wave! I quickly installed the 2 front fans (albeit placed on top of each other) and watched everything resume normal temps.

In fact, my idle temps are around 28-31 (CPU), and my HDD are now around 27 too (there were at 40 previously). So, my temps have dropped a lot considering.

My point is that you want the fans in the case. They make a lot of difference, and keep the system running at nice temps.

So, get them back in. (see attached for temps right now)

Attachments

• Temps_27122012.png
    Temps_27122012.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 249
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back