2x Xeon > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
R9 280X
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guy's,

New to the forum and looking for some advice please.

My Mac Pro 5,1 (10.12.6) 2x 6 core 3.46Ghz, 48gb Ram, SSD HD, BenQ 270 27inch (in 2880 px) and Samsung 27inch (in 4k) with a Radeon R9 280x card was processing 350 x 8000 pixel tifs and warp stabilising another set of 350 images in premiere for a time lapse when it appeared to go to sleep, well the screen went off, monitor power lights flick on and off and the Mac Pro power light was on.

I tried waking it up to no avail. So powered it down, restarted it, it came back up and tried to reopen all the applications I had open before which was odd as it doesn't do this normally. I thought I'd run Diskwarrior to make sure everything so okay and tried restarting the mac from the USB stick. This time it chimed once, then started to do a continuous repeating chime!

I tried going back to the SSD for booting but kept on not starting properly with the normal chime first, then the repeated chime. No screen at all. So I thought I would try resetting the board, took the power out, pressed the button on the board near the front. Took all USB drives off, took out all internal drives other than the OS on the SSD, bare minimum. Took the CPU unit out, reseated the ram, changed the battery and pressed the button next to it. I attached the SSD to my MacBook Pro, and started up from it, everything was good, ran Diskwarrior on the SSD, a couple of minor errors, so rebuilt the directory. Tried again on the MacBook Pro and everything still started up okay. So I think I can rule out the OS is not corrupted.

I put the SSD back into the Mac Pro 5,1, tried starting up, I get a good healthy Chime, I can see the fan's on the Radeon turn, but then it just sits there. The repeated chimes have gone and if the screen came on I would think it was normal but it doesn't come on. I've tested both monitors attached to my macbook pro and they work fine. I've tried the Radeon in the other 16x slot as well.

So as the mac went down while doing some heavy graphics processing and having eliminated the OS (and nothing else external being attached) I'm thinking it is the card that has died.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

If it is the card how can I test this?

Without spending a ton on a new card before knowing it is the card any suggestions on a cheap card to test?

Also, I spent the evening reading up on other cards and the Nvidia's look great but it seems I would have to install drivers to get them to work but how can I do this with no monitor to operate from?!!!

I've got a big deadline mid-week and really need to solve this asap.

THANK YOU!

Dominic

UPDATE!

I have managed to connect to my Mac Pro via Apple Remote Desktop, yay!

No graphic card is listed so I think it is definitely the graphics card that has failed!

So which Graphics card should I get that I can install easily - ideally without doing too much hacking as I've not done this before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back