Mac Pro 5,1 daughterboard connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Q8200
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Hi all this should be dead easy but....

I have a 5,1 Mac Pro mid 2010. As you are prolly aware this has processor and memory on a daughterboard
allowing a choice of single and dual processor devices withe varying power and costs. For troubleshooting reasons, otherwise unexplained, I need to replicate the plug/socket interface between the boards as shown on the attached image. You would think this was a simple query, but nobody in the connector world has a clue, and even the Apple helpline were stumped as to where to find this simple component.

FYI its about 9cm long, rectangular, has 42 x 9 pins. This sounds like a lot of pins but only about 30 odd are connected so its not as frightening as it looks.

Any hardware gurus out there can point me in the right direction I will say a prayer for you.

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0242[3].JPG
    IMG_0242[3].JPG
    639.2 KB · Views: 272
I need to replicate the plug/socket interface between the boards as shown on the attached image.

FYI its about 9cm long, rectangular, has 42 x 9 pins.

@MartinLangley,

You got no chance as its an Apple proprietary interface ...

I very much doubt you'll be able to get one unless you know someone who is Apple authorised to repair macs and can access Apples legacy parts database. Even then I doubt you can purchase the connector as an individual component as Apple would never repair a failed daughter board, they would simply replace it with a new one.

Apple used a proprietary interface to stop 3rd party OEM's from producing alternate (IE: non Apple) CPU/RAM daughter boards, this locking you into Apple .... its what Apple have always done and always will do.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Well thanks a bunch, - that's a great help. I'm so much encouraged by your constructive contribution.

ML

Well thanks a bunch, - that's a great help. I'm so much encouraged by your constructive contribution.

@MartinLangley,

Sorry ... was i meant to somehow sugar coat the answer to your question ?

Just giving you the facts ... bro.

I think your best (and maybe only) bet maybe to find a used/non-working daughter board on eBay/Craigs List and attempt to desolder the connector with a solder bath or Hot Plate or Hot-Air-Desolder-Station. It wont be easy but it is probably doable if you plan it right.

If it where me i would use a band saw to cut the section of PCB with the connector on it away from the rest of the d-board and then hold that section in a solder bath (or hot plate) to release the connector from the pcb segment making sure to only immerse the solder side of the pcb in the bath ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back