5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So, I've recently come to own a 2008 Quad Core Mac Pro, complete with a Radeon 2600 XT GPU, which is about on par with the Intel 4000 Graphics I have in my other desktop. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU, but I want something I can use in both machines. I've seen tutorials about flashing certain cards, etc. and I have read that getting a "non-Mac" edition of a GPU won't give me a boot screen (for boot camp, rEFIt, etc.), but it will work. Ideally, I want to boot camp this machine, but not spend a fortune for a "Mac Edition" GPU. Any suggestions? Hopefully, I'll end up selling this thing to build a new Hackintosh; I would love for the GPU to be compatible there as well, so I don't have to buy two graphics cards. Any information or help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
-IC

To anyone interested, I've answered my own questions. It appears that because of the Web Drivers built into Mountain Lion and the ability to use Boot Camp Utility and Startup Disk Selector, I am able to boot to different drives even with a "non-Mac" graphics card. Thinking of going with a GTX 660, there's a secondhand on Craigslist in my area. EFI isn't that important with the EFI keyboard shortcuts built into the Mac.

I'm looking to do much the same with dual 2.8 Mac Pro 3.1. I need to run Solidworks and W7 and could do with something like a Quadro K600 for that. I don't need awe inspiring MacOS performance but I do need it and bootcamp to work.

It will probably not help you, but I made my task easy and some three years ago upgraded to the Radeon HD 5770 Mac Edition. It had no official support but worked flawlessly since then.

I'm looking to do much the same with dual 2.8 Mac Pro 3.1. I need to run Solidworks and W7 and could do with something like a Quadro K600 for that. I don't need awe inspiring MacOS performance but I do need it and bootcamp to work.

According to Solidworks forums, the workstation grade AMD cards seem to perform a bit better than the Quadros, but the key for you is GPU memory. Soldworks thrives on having a ton of VRAM. I've heard quite a few reports of trouble with AMD cards in OS X, but there are also issues with PC cards in BootCamp. Without an EFI card, PC cards will only run at PCIe 1 speeds in Boot Camp, which is merely a link speed loss, but that can cause some major speed issues in Solidworks. Check out MacVidCards on Ebay, he flashes PC cards with EFI roms so that they run flawlessly in Mac Pro towers - boot screen, full link speed. I would look into a 4GB card, maybe a GTX 770 or so since it will offer you about the same performance as a Quadro card without the extra cost. I would be wary of getting anything a bit more expensive since the 3,1 is a 6 year old machine.

Reviving an old thread...

I've just scored a Mac Pro 3,1 and was going to put my EVGA GTX670 card into it.

Now, EVGA make a UEFI BIOS available on request.

My issue is, if I either a) Boot the card into Windows using Bootcamp or, b) Put it back into a regular PC, is this going to cause me problems?

Is the black screen on bootup the _only_ downside to running a non-UEFI BIOS on the card? (It'll have Mavericks 10.9.4 installed shortly after arriving, if not already).

My GTX 760 powerleads arrived and it didn't work straight away in the MacPro so I just stuck it in my GA-Z77/3770k Kraken and used the GTX660ti from it in the MacPro 3,1. The Mac booted first time and runs really well with it; a quick bake in Blender is now really a quick bake! It was a bit slow to boot at first but with the caches all updated, it's back to normal. It's kind of worrying without the boot screen.

The GA-Z77/3770k Kraken flys but hangs for a while at the BIOS. I think I need to update it.

To finish up the cascade of updates, I'll stick the old 9600 from the 3,1 in my working G5.

Edit: The last swap into the G5 didn't work. Anyway, it's there as a spare in case I have boot trouble with the 3,1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back