Contribute
Register

Mac Pro 2009 Audio Update 1.0 - DO NOT INSTALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I deleted them from /System/Library/Extensions, then did the previous run-through (Kext Helper/Kext Utility), then repaired disk permissions in disk utility, restarted, and same problem.
When you say, "delete them and run the 10.6.2 combo updated again.", which 10.6.2 combo update do you mean? The one from Apple? Didn't that break it in the first place? If that's not what you mean, I'm not being obtuse, I'm just confused.

Thanks again!

Ok, so no reply. So the next natural thing is to restart the whole process, because nothing I tried in this thread helped.
So, am now trying with the new beta CD, and we'll see you in that thread. Oh well.

I think this caught me out, too. I built my i5-750 Hackintosh yesterday (specs are in my signature - same basic specs as TonyMac's build). I used the iBoot CD from the beta thread, and sound worked both before and after the 10.6.2 update. It was a really smooth process (awesome job, TonyMac!)

At some point last night sound stopped working, however. :eek: I believe it happened when I got over-confident because everything seemed stable and I installed a bunch of software updates. I'm guessing that the "Mac Pro 2009 Audio Update 1.0" must have snuck in that list. I remember reading a post somewhere here in the forums that once you're running with 10.6.2 you're probably safe to install all minor software updates - but I obviously missed this thread! I think I actually took a picture of the screen before I installed all the software updates, but I don't have my camera with me now.

My symptoms are that that volume control in the menu bar is now greyed out, and there are no audio output sources in the audio system preferences for me to select. Interestingly I can plug in a MacAlly USB webcam and use it's microphone as audio input source (it also works as a webcam in PhotoBooth, by the way). When I get home tonight I'll follow the procedure in this thread to see if I can restore my audio.

The point of this post is that I remember my computer was identified as a "PowerMac" after doing the default install with the iBoot disk. Maybe the iBoot CD installer should default builds to an "iMac" instead of a "PowerMac"? I imagine a lot of people might do what I did accidentally.

Yeah- it only shows up if you've installed the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist. You probably chose this in MultiBeast.

It's because the purpose of the smbios.plist is to identify your Mac. Pretty much identifies your system to OS X without having a built in EFI ROM chip on the motherboard. Apple sticks a special EFI ROM on their boards to identify that it's a real Mac.

Chameleon integrates one into the bootloader if you don't have one. Take a look at the source or binaries of Chameleon to check the version of the smbios.plist it uses by default. Also, you can spoof your computer into iding any Mac, therefore getting appropriate Bios Updates for that model.

I made MacPro3,1 smbios.plist default in the iBoot CD, so it wouldn't happen to everyone. ;)

:?:
tonymacx86 said:
I made MacPro3,1 smbios.plist default in the iBoot CD, so it wouldn't happen to everyone. ;)

I used the iBoot CD, so maybe I didn't accidentally install the audio update? I'll have to check my system when I get home from work. Maybe I've got a different sound problem...

OK - I got home and verified that my Hackintosh is identified as a MacPro3,1 so it couldn't have gotten the audio update. Sorry for doubting you, TonyMac! :oops: I followed the instructions in the following thread to get my Realtek 888b audio working (downloading files from InsanelyMac and installing with kext helper and kext utility.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=267

It's puzzling that my sound worked initially and then went away - but at least I've got it working now! I now have four outputs in my sound preferences (Internal Speakers and three different "Line Out" options). Internal Speakers seems to be the good one to use - I've hooked up powered speakers to the green jack.

Do you have the latest bios? F7? That would do it- until F7, I had to use 10.6.1 AppleHDA.kext. Since then, it's vanilla 10.6.2 AppleHDA. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back