Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
DO NOT INSTALL UPDATE

Apple released an Audio Software Update today for the Nehalem 2009 Mac Pros- it's apparently a fix for a CPU temperature and performance decrease during audio tasks.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/11/app ... ce-issues/

Just had a bit of fun installing this and losing all sound. It's only for the Nehalem Mac Pros, which made me say hmmm, so I had to try it. Probably doesn't jibe with any other audio codecs but the one in those Mac Pros. Could be useful for Socket 1366 Quad-Core Xeon based Hackintoshes though depending on the audio chipset- I really have no idea.

Just wanted to report that it breaks audio functionality on my ALC 888b - P55M-UD2. To make matters worse, you can't get those old kexts back if you simply run the 10.6.2 Combo Update over it. I had to delete them manually before running the Combo Updater again. I extracted the kexts with Pacifist if anyone's interested in testing, but this one is Mac Hardware specific.

The update contains 2 kexts:
AppleHDA.kext (version 1.8.3fc1)
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext (version 4.0.2d0)

I included the 10.6.2 Vanilla ones as well:
AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4)
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext (version 4.0.1d0)

Public/MacProAudioUpdate1.0%2BVanilla10.6.2Audio.zip

good to know. this doesn't appear in my software update which is good. i've been reading many complaints about overheating issues on the mac pros so i guess that's what this is addressing. doesn't show up in software update which is good since we don't want everyone's install breaking.

Tony, did it appear on your software update?

It doesn't on mine...

No it didn't show up in my software update- I'm glad. My guess is that Apple's Software Update is smart enough to know exactly what Mac Pro you have, and issue updates accordingly. No worries, unless you download this update directly from Apple's support site and install like I did :p

came up in my software then :eek: lucky i saw this post and didnt update. i probably wouldntve installed as i knew its just a fix for the Mac Pro's high CPU load for audio.

i made my hack look like a Mac Pro 4,1 using smbios.plist with interconnect speed & a boot ROM version of the 4,1. but cant get the SMC version updated and there is no processor tray info like a real Mac Pro. good to know that it gets treated like a Mac Pro for updates though ;).

Help! I installed before I saw this thread, and I haven't had sound since!
I'm on a Gigabyte p55m-ud2 as well. I'm following the threads here, and for the most part, it's working like a champ! Please help me get working sound.

I'm guessing I need to do something with those 10.6.2 Vanilla audio kexts, but I don't know what. Nor do I know what to do about the patch that I previously installed.

Thanks for your help, and for such an awesome site!

Just download the zip, and install the vanilla kexts back (using kext helper b7) rebuild caches (using kext utility) and reboot. ;)

No love. I dragged (drug) AppleHDA.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext from the 10.6.2 Vanilla Audio Kexts to Kext Helper b7, put in my password, and it finished, telling me to reboot. I closed it, then ran Kext Utility, which took a few minutes, and reloaded the cache. I rebooted, and still have no output device in sound, and the System Profiler still says Intel High Definition Audio. Should I copy the kext files somewhere first?

Thanks again.

Sorry- since you've 'updated' the kexts, you should delete them first before installing the vanilla ones back- then rebuild kext caches and repair disk permissions. If this fails, delete them and run the 10.6.2 combo updated again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back