Contribute
Register

Mac Pro 2008 Clean MATX 240mm Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are uncomfortable with removing the speaker unit, you could instead use a 120mm aio in the top fan slot or Dremel out the fan mount to allow you to slide the radiator from the side instead of the top like I have.

Thanks for the explanations ! I was thinking of doing a brand new piece especially for a 240mm radiator with a 3D printer but it seems it's possible with your method.

@NuclearLemons

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. My issue is the psu fan grill as the picture attached. The atx power cables won't fit through those openings and that grill is impossible to take off. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a dremel? Can you share a picture of how you routed your atx cables (24 pin, etc)?
upload_2018-9-11_16-24-21.jpeg

@NuclearLemons

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. My issue is the PSU fan grill as the picture attached. The atx power cables won't fit through those openings and that grill is impossible to take off. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a Dremel? Can you share a picture of how you routed your atx cables (24 pins, etc)?
View attachment 350454
oh I am very sorry, our cutouts behind the fan look very different! what version of mac pro do you have?

This build was for the 3,1 where there was a large square cutout.
yaRqQUpBhdeSHKDN.medium

I'm no expert, but I think you have two options. you could detach the end of your 24 pin cable and then thread it through before re-attaching (here is a video to help:
)

or you can as you say, bite the bullet and Dremel out the space between two cutouts. odds are you won't be able to see it anyway.

regardless. I'm sure you will manage!

Thanks for the explanations ! I was thinking of doing a brand new piece especially for a 240mm radiator with a 3D printer but it seems it's possible with your method.
I would certainly love to see what you end up doing!

I would certainly love to see what you end up doing!

Well for now I haven’t started anything as I’d like to move on a mATX motherboard to keep the drive bays and I can’t find one on Z97 chipset. I’m just flying from post to post to find ideas for my case.

there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them on eBay in the US. I am not sure what the numbers are outside of it. Have you tried international sellers or are you having difficulty getting one at a fair price?

there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them on eBay in the US. I am not sure what the numbers are outside of it. Have you tried international sellers or are you having difficulty getting one at a fair price?

There are lots of ASUS z97 PLUS on eBay but it's not the board I'd like to have. And yes, the price is a little bit high for used parts + shipping as I live in France. So my mod may take a while to release.

Mine will look pretty similar. The only difference is the PSU, I got a Seasonic Snow Silent 1050 with white cables and for the GPU I got a Vegas 64 watercooled. For the CPU cooling system, I will probably get a Noctua. It will be interesting to see Noctua taking advantage of the airflow created by the gpu fan.

Hi mates, me again. I have troubles with my drive bay. My "Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 1 To" bought in 2015 doesn't fit in place. What is weird is that we have the same Mac pro case. Do you have any clue ? It's one of the last things I have to fix before putting my setting in it.

Best Regards,
Kajhack.

Edit: Well I found my answer, my drive holders are not made for my case. Mines are for 2009-2012 Mac Pro and my case is an older one. I leave it here if it can help anybody.

Last edited:
Hi mates, me again. I have troubles with my drive bay. My "Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 1 To" bought in 2015 doesn't fit in place. What is weird is that we have the same Mac pro case. Do you have any clue ? It's one of the last things I have to fix before putting my setting in it.

Best Regards,
Kajhack.

Edit: Well I found my answer, my drive holders are not made for my case. Mines are for 2009-2012 Mac Pro and my case is an older one. I leave it here if it can help anybody.
hello! Glad you found your answer, for future reference, the way I did it was by loosely securing the plug and then inserting the drive, tightening wherever it ended up. I did this a few times and tested whether it saw it in the bios before finalizing its position.

Best of luck and don't forget to share your build with me when it's done, I am eager to see it!

Lemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back