Contribute
Register

Mac Pro 1.1 mATX Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with adhesives? Do you think something like conventional superglue could work? Any other ideas?

I would try JBWeld, it's very sturdy and I'm pretty sure it's not a conductor for electricity.

Ok I'll give the JB weld a shot and report back.

I have 3 Mac Pro hackintoshes. Two of them have this from Laserhive. Works really well, but I never use the eSata portion like I thought I would. I'm going to buy this usb 3 cable ($5) from newegg and try modding my third one with some JB Weld.

This may help help domkikong The image is a G5 but I think this applies to a G5 Pro.
G5 conversion.jpg

Would it be possible or an idea to create a 3d printed conversion bracket so the original screw points etc could be kept in place and a new ATX board could be added on top of it? Further more it would be nice if someone could design a breakout - intermediate PCB to plugin all original MacPro cables to wherefrom new cables can be patched and fitted to the matx mainboard? I think it must be possible to create this way below 100 dollar so it is foolproof for most of us. I would buy a MacPro Enclosure because im not that good with mechanical modding. And respect for the modder! Nice job.

@Arstidir Hey silly question. I have the USB 3 setup like you have it. Do I still need to wire the 3V/5V/12V connections even though I don't need the power for the USB ports? All I need the 8 pin connector for is the power switch and power LED (excluding the power connections).

Asked in another way, if I am only using the front panel board for the power switch and power LED, do I need to wire any of the 3V/5V/12V connections on the 8 pin connector?

Would it be possible or an idea to create a 3d printed conversion bracket so the original screw points etc could be kept in place

Here is my 3D front panel using an Aliexpress double USB cable, a Belkin switch and a Lumberg jack socket. The panel is fixed using the 'on/off' switch fixing nut, the Jack fixing nut and the USB sockets screwed in from the back so as not to show the fixing screws. If anybody wants the Sketchup file to make amendments let me know.
Mod on USB cable.jpg
Front panel G5.jpg
Double USB cable.jpg
Mod on USB cable.jpg
Front panel G5.jpg
Double USB cable.jpg
his needs a mod to the USB end plastic fixing mount. Drilling out the plastic to accommodate the two lugs on the 3D printed panel. See images.

Attachments

• Bulgin 12mm Switches.pdf
    738.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 3D printer file.dae.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 200
@Arstidir Hey did you get a chance to see my question re: your setup? I've nearly reached the last step of my build and wanted to see if you had some insight. Quoted below:

"I have the USB 3 setup like you have it. Do I still need to wire the 3V/5V/12V connections even though I don't need the power for the USB ports? All I need the 8 pin connector for is the power switch and power LED (excluding the power connections).

Asked in another way, if I am only using the front panel board for the power switch and power LED, do I need to wire any of the 3V/5V/12V connections on the 8 pin connector?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back