Graphics
GTX 1060 6gb
Hello all!

I had a CustoMac built on these specs:

i5 2500k
asrock b75m-dgs r2.0
2x8gb DDR3 1600mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Working perfectly. The problem is I had a total hardware failure. I don't know if it's the motherboard or CPU, looks like it is the motherboard but I'm not waiting to find out.

I ordered the following parts after consulting the Buyer's Guide:

i5 7600
gigabyte GA-H270-HD3
1x8gb DDR4 2133mhz

I intend to do a full reinstall of MacOS but first I need to grab a few files that are left on the disk. It would be nice to boot up to the desktop and do a careful look around before formatting.

Should I worry about anything before trying this? Will it work?

Tks a lot!!

Yes, it's most likely the motherboard as the CPU will rarely ever fail if it's worked good for 5+ years. Even then you should still do more troubleshooting. It could be the ram, PSU etc. that is causing the problem. Don't just guess. Do some more testing.

I did the testing, tks for your reply. I'm cool about the hardware part.

In you experience, can you tell if I will be able to boot to the desktop after replacing the parts?

I did the testing, tks for your reply. I'm cool about the hardware part.

In you experience, can you tell if I will be able to boot to the desktop after replacing the parts?

There are quite a few generations from Sandybridge to Kaby Lake so I doubt that it will. You can try and see what happens. Were you even using the Clover bootloader on your old system ? Did you have a newer version of macOS installed ? Sierra 10.12.6 ? If not you should get the data off the drive another way. For example, if your old installation was on an SSD buy this adapter and connect it to your new system via USB3. Then you can pull off of it whatever you need quite easily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZJI84/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

You can also connect it via a Sata cable internally to a header on the new motherboard once you have macOS installed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know this is sort of a long shot and I will probably save some time if I try to pull it out from the ssd straight away.

Yes, I was using Clover and Sierra version 10.12.6.

Tks for sharing your thoughts.

Hello! How did it go?

In my case I'm upgrading from an H97 to a Z390 chipset from gigabyte.

On BIOS I just loaded the defaults and, disabled CSM Support, which, at least in my case is a MUST, otherwise OSX won't just boot.

So, The rig booted up in Sierra, I have my files, but, my ethernet adapter is not working. So I ran Multibeast for high Sierra and for Mohave since the Sierra Multibeast does not support drivers for my ethernet card (Intel GbE LAN CHIP) with no success. My video card still does not work, but I'll worry about it when my ethernet works because it may download Nvidia's driver automatically.

Any idea?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back