Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" Developer Build Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your complaining about about an OS upgrade for $30?
Just think back several years when OSes cost 5x that

johnflingelbach93 said:
I'm so sick of editing my hackintosh so soon...im just gonna buy a mac now...

Then after a few years you are gonna buy another mac because it is unsupported for marketing reasons ;)

johnflingelbach93 said:

And if your running Snow Leopard or Lion already you really don't need to upgrade to Mountain Lion.
Just because its new doesn't mean you have to run right out and get it.

The only reason I went to Lion was to help test xMove, UniBeast and Multibeast so we had stable items to release to the masses. If I didn't help test stuff out I'd still be on Snow Leopard lol

Why are so many people complaining about their old Macs being shut out?

You're on a Hackintosh forum. You're talking about getting Mac OS X running on unsupported hardware.

READ THAT LAST SENTENCE AGAIN.

Seriously, if you learned anything from installing OS X on your hackintosh, it's that OS X isn't very hard to trick into running. All you really need to do is trick the installer, then force it to booting a 32-bit kernel. :3

johnflingelbach93 said:

You're the reason Macs sell, and you're the kind of person who doesn't need to work with Hackintoshes. For one, you don't need to be up to date ALL of the time. I'm loving 10.6 and the only reason I'm going to use Lion in the future is because I want a modern PowerMac running current software.

Second, you must not love fiddling with this stuff. If you don't love editing kexts and forcing kernel options, you've come to the wrong place. Go use Ubuntu, because OS X has taken Linux's place as the "hard to get running OS" and now the "OS for the nerd".

So yeah, you should buy a Mac is you don't genuinely love working on your system, tweaking it and modifying it when it needs it. :p

georgeba said:
wagerrard said:
Why fret about what they call it? That's just words and numbers.

It's the words that marketing is all about. Especially how words and their perceived meanings are interpreted.

How we interpret them is up to us. The release does what it does, whatever Apple calls it. The name doesn't mean much to me.

flying-cat-fight.jpg

Attachments

• flying-cat-fight.jpg
    flying-cat-fight.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 411
Judah said:
Keep it friendly folks :)

I'm gonna buy a new mac AND build hackintoshes so let's just crown me king of the friggin' world already...

(This has been a test of the National Sarcasm Alert System.)

Didn't mean to be argumentative. Just waxing philosophical, in "rose is a rose" sort of way.

Anyway, I think Apple is moving to one OS name for all its hardware. It will be the successor to both OS X and iOS. (Note that a single OS name does not necessarily mean identical code.)

Apple wants to stop making Mac Pros. I think they intend that their customers use Thunderbolt to put together hardware of equal capacity. So far, we haven't seen many interesting Thunderbolt goodies on the market, tho. So, we will see another Mac Pro release. But, only one.

Sooner or later, Apple will make it impossible or very difficult for Hackintoshes to exist. I suspect the App Store will be make definitive checks to determine if the machine trying to talk to it is on record as being sold by Apple. (Does this happen now with iOS?) Apps purchased at the App Store will make the same checks before they'll run. If not, bye bye. This will be packaged as an effort to improve security.

Judah said:
...(This has been a test of the National Sarcasm Alert System.)
:lol: ROTFLMAO!! :thumbup:

faithie999 said:
re: the msgs in this thread referring to the "big cat" names:

i'm waiting for os x:

tabby
siamese
domestic shorthair
manx

And "OS-X Feral" for Hackintoshes ? :lol:

I'll get my coat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.