Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" Developer Build Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a newly founded hackintosh enthusiast, I have to say I am excited for this! From Tiger to Lion i've experienced great things - I can't necessarily point out anything bad in that progression - anyone else but me have faith this will be another excellent revision?

I use both Apple and Microsoft OS everyday for work - and have to say, the real game-changers occur in the Apple world. Microsoft will likely take note, and for those that have played with Windows 8 in any form will likely see it copy step up its play in response to what Mountain Lion has to offer.

Can't wait!

XbotMGBR said:
as i thought for here and ever it'll be called OS X instead of Mac OS X.

I was expecting xOS :)

OS X.. Not.. Mac OS X..

I know some people are saying this could be iPad/iPod integration. But guys.

GUYS GUYS GUYS!

I think it's something bigger!

I think.. They might make OS X PC Installable with this OS! :O

We might be going mainstream. Haha. :D

Yet another change. Man, I'm just getting 10.7.3 to run in a stable fashion...

fenix1993 said:
OS X.. Not.. Mac OS X..

I know some people are saying this could be iPad/iPod integration. But guys.

GUYS GUYS GUYS!

I think it's something bigger!

I think.. They might make OS X PC Installable with this OS! :O

We might be going mainstream. Haha. :D

I don't think they want the support headache that it would bring.

Infinite drivers to write ....

I'll bet you a beer that it doesn't happen.

tonymacx86 said:
Here's a new wrinkle- Mountain Lion is App Store only. No USB thumb this time.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44422/m ... store-only

They originally said that about Lion, but caved on the USB because people claimed to have wanted media. They actually may mean that this time. I don't know how well the USB version has been selling...

trollied said:
I don't think they want the support headache that it would bring.

Infinite drivers to write ....

I'll bet you a beer that it doesn't happen.

You know, people keep saying this, but think about it, how often you think that regular users contact microsoft? Very few and they get charged for that. right there, if done, is more income for apple.

Also, as it is, i'm surprised as to how well OSX runs on non "apple" hardware. With apple's blessing it would be even better.

And lastly, drivers, another misused/misunderstood situation. Apple does not have to make drivers, just certify them.
thinking about that, they would have a bit less work, since hardware companies, like amd and nvidia will take over the drivers and only needing apple for certification.

The only thing that apple need is some kind of software activation, like windows and sell osx alone.

They should still sell macs, for the people that must have apple's hardware and are willing to pay for it, the rest, like us, more than happy in getting a proper version that does not need hacking to install.

Apple is making way more money on iphones, ipads and software than on mac hardware.

I say, apple, go for it. because im 100% sure i will never buy a mac.

xxandrossxx said:
Between the no physical NIC rumors for the new MBP line and now this...its like Apple wants to cut off its business market penetration at its knees. Corporate IT teams will completely balk at annual OS updates, as how long did it take for migration off XP to win7? Annual updates will be a headache regardless of what platform/hardware you are running...

I don't think Apple is really interested in selling into the traditional corporate IT market. That's why they got out of the server business. They are interested in selling iPhones and iPads and laptops to that market. The more of those in use in the corporation market, the more incentive for it to put Macs on the desktop. Windows and Linux can stay in the data center.

And, in case anyone had doubts, this release should make it clear that iOS is leading this particular show, not the other way around.

I still hate Lion, I'm sure I'll feel no different with Mt Lion. I decided to update my Hackintosh to well supported Snow Leopard hardware after 2 weeks of testing Lion out on my MacBook Pro. At my large format print company, Lion would just drive us nuts and get in the way of our workflow. Maybe 10.9 will be compelling enough to upgrade.

Out of curiosity, Has anyone with a Hackintosh and a developer account actually tried messing with Mt Lion yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back