Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" Developer Build Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
xxandrossxx said:
Between the no physical NIC rumors for the new MBP line and now this...its like Apple wants to cut off its business market penetration at its knees.

Removing a physical NIC from MBP would be a mistake. There are a lot of people in IT, especially in the security sector, that us MacBooks as their tool of choice due to the Unix backend. That being said, the security minded folks usually cannot connect to the corporate enterprise via wireless.

Some of the changes ML is proposing sound like a good idea. Unified naming of apps, no longer iCal on OSX and Calendar on iDevices. Now it's just Calendar, Contacts, etc. Some of the other things I'm not so sure about. The iFeatures they've added to Lion haven't been a whole lot of use to me. I'm not sure the new ones will add any more value either.

I don't think dropping the word "Mac" portends anything significant for OS X. If it does, it might suggest that they have plans to use the operating system on devices other than Macs.

That does not mean Apple is going to start selling their OS for use on someone else's hardware. First, there is little significant money in it. Second, OS X on Any Old Intel would inevitably be less stable and more problematic than on Apple hardware. Apple is interested in the entire experience delivered across its entire product line AND it wants to control as much of that as possible. It loses control if it allows people to start legitimately stuffing OS X onto non-Apple hardware.

If anything, they will move to binding Apple hardware even more tightly to the App Store ecology. One obvious way would be to deny App Store/iCloud access to any machine they have no record of ever selling.

[EDIT: In an interview after the announcement, Tim Cook equivocated when asked if Apple might move to using the same CPU in both Macs and iOS devices. That would certainly be bad news for the Hackintosh community -- you'd need a CPU that only Apple made and sold to run OS X -- but likely all to the good for Apple. Given the large base of Intel Macs, I'm assuming, though, they would have a multi-year transition program.]

Out of curiosity, Has anyone with a Hackintosh and a developer account actually tried messing with Mt Lion yet?

We're not allowing installation and other types of discussion here until the official release.

PLEASE NOTE: Unless you are a paid Apple developer ($99/yr), you will not be able to download the Developer Preview of Mountain Lion until the official release this Summer.

Our rules specify very clearly that we do not tolerate discussion of detailed NDA information or developer builds. Since there is already a ton of information out there, we will use this thread to discuss what Apple has made public.

RULE: faq.php#f0r10

re: the msgs in this thread referring to the "big cat" names:

i'm waiting for os x:

tabby
siamese
domestic shorthair
manx

tonymacx86 said:
Out of curiosity, Has anyone with a Hackintosh and a developer account actually tried messing with Mt Lion yet?

We're not allowing installation and other types of discussion here until the official release.

PLEASE NOTE: Unless you are a paid Apple developer ($99/yr), you will not be able to download the Developer Preview of Mountain Lion until the official release this Summer.

Our rules specify very clearly that we do not tolerate discussion of detailed NDA information or developer builds. Since there is already a ton of information out there, we will use this thread to discuss what Apple has made public.

RULE: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php#f0r10

Ah, sorry. I skimmed over that part when I first read this post. Well, I just hope the underlining tech isn't too different from Lion since this it seems like a mostly a feature based update.

faithie999 said:
re: the msgs in this thread referring to the "big cat" names:

i'm waiting for os x:

tabby
siamese
domestic shorthair
manx

They should have used domestic cats for iOS code names. Nothing like carrying a tabby with you!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for this version.

Steller-Sea-Lion-39.jpg

SEA LION!

powerpcg5 said:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for this version.

Steller-Sea-Lion-39.jpg

SEA LION!

Yes, that was the version I was hoping for! I like the look of the new galaxy background.

So far this is how I see it:

They are making mac os x more friendly with mobile devices, whereas Windows is making their os a mobile os. I feel this is a good step, but they shouldn't make it too simplified as we still want a proper desktop os that can be used by enthusiasts etc.

As for letting os x run on any hardware, i think apple may have it up its sleeve. But apple usually transitions slowly, as we see the slow change of os x being more friendly with mobile devices from snow leopard to mountain lion.

I think they are giving a very slight hint, and may confirm it when os x 11 comes out (which i presume will be completely new)

Without Steve, i think apple is loosing a little speed, and this new release will (hopefully) get them back on track.

I am very interested to see what (or even if there is any) then next revolutionary product will be (eg mac, ipad, iphone) without Steve Jobs.

Looking forward to mountain lion anyway...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back