Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" Developer Build Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamesbond007 said:
tonymacx86 said:
I have to say I'm totally shocked. o_O :eek: :eek: :crazy:

Well, like you, I am quite shocked to hear that Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be released so soon after Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. I wonder why Apple decides that Mountain Lion should be released so early?

this is Sparta...

Uhm, happy as I am on Lion, none of the cosmetic features just shown by apple tell me I need to upgrade right away (and am a paying customer :p), did they re-write os x from scratch? I don't think so, right? Plus, are 2008 macs to be supported? :S I run my hacks and am happy, but still got couple macs from the 2008 gen and they are in perfect condition, I'd hate it if to run the latest OS the only solution is to buy a new macbook pro!

I'm wondering what this means for the Hackintosh users.

littlejd133 said:
that was quick. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I was just getting started on Lion (well for about 6 Months :p)

And now we wait for the public release :beachball:
:beachball:

tonymacx86 said:
It's official- confirmed by Apple, no more "Mac OS X" - just OS X.

Apple officially renames Mac OS X to OS X, drops the 'Mac'
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/16/28022 ... ps-the-mac

Well, I don't think this is a small news. Words are important. Till today, the hardware and the software of all macs were deeply designed to be just one thing. Naming the new OS just "OSX", and referring the word mac just to the hardware, means to draw a line, imho.

I never thought, and I still don't think, that apple will ever sell its software for other machines than theirs. At least, I don't think is possible till the day they'll know that they will do more money this way than the old way (and that day is still far, or will never come).
But this change is a big step, bigger than it seems, at least in my opinion.

xxandrossxx said:
Between the no physical NIC rumors for the new MBP line and now this...its like Apple wants to cut off its business market penetration at its knees. Corporate IT teams will completely balk at annual OS updates, as how long did it take for migration off XP to win7? Annual updates will be a headache regardless of what platform/hardware you are running...

Corporate IT balks at any update, because it means that something might break. :) There's nothing that would stop them from adopting a 2 year update cycle and having a much more manageable OS X administration experience. Even then, OS X updates are pretty painless between point versions as long as you wait for the first update cycle.

As for your lack of physical NIC problem, Apple is really posturing Thunderbolt to be the new dock connector. I'm sure we'll see TB NICs released right along side the the new MBPs if that is indeed the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back