Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD Available Again Online for $19.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone that puts OSX on a Pee Cee is WAY less likely to be buying Windoze 8.
They will almost definitely be buying stuff on the app store though!
Win/Win for Apple.
Lose/Lose for Microsoft.

I can't think of any other reason that Apple would effectively re-release SL other than to make it easy for the folks around here.

Let's face it, SL is not really gonna be running right on any of these new Ivy Bridge macs!

Article: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD Available Again Online for $19.99

Snow Leopard = Apple's Windows XP

Apple returns Snow Leopard to Apple Store
Good news for iOS 6 users who updated and found incompatibility issues with iTunes

Karen Haslam

Apple is selling Snow Leopard on its online store again. The software, which many Mac users discovered that they required following their recent upgrade to iOS 6, costs £14.

Snow Leopard was pulled from Apple’s site after Mountain Lion was launched earlier this year, however, following the launch of iOS 6 in September it emerged that iOS 6 required iTunes 10.6, which required Snow Leopard.

As we wrote at the time iOS 6 launched, users were finding that having updated their iPhone or iPad to iOS 6 their device was rendered incompatible with the version of iTunes they were running on their Mac, and in some cases it was impossible to upgrade their Mac to a version of iTunes that was compatible because they were running a OS that predated Snow Leopard.

Purchasing a copy of Snow Leopard is the only option for owners of older Macs that wish to update to the latest version of iTunes, required since the iOS 6 update. Back in September we confirmed that Apple was still selling the software – but only to people who called it directly on its telesales line: 0800 048 0408.

The return to the Apple Store suggests that Apple has been receiving a significant number of pleas from owners of older Mac models.

Returning Snow Leopard to the Apple Store also gives users of newer Macs that are still running Leopard (if there are any out there) the opportunity to take advantage of the Mac App Store, without which they will be unable to download any of the newer operating systems from Apple.

glad to see this. i still have my disc but i know not everyone starts their hack with a real mac ready to get ML.

@ DAJJAL

I am glad you asked!!!
I just opened the box from Apple that has been sitting collecting dust to verify..

You are correct!
It is 10.6.3!
I went by what the "Genius" on the phone told me: "It is version 10.6.8. That it is fully updated to the latest version with the "app store" ready to go.
You will just need to update iTunes and maybe a few security patches for Safari the first time you connect to the internet".
(Not much of a Genius...)

I am installing it now on one of my genuine Macs to confirm, But the package looks to be correct. Copyright 2009

I am going to edit my earlier post.
Thanks for catching that

EDIT: I finished the install. It is 10.6.3. The best part is that it didn't install the network drivers for my 2010 Mac (that shipped with SL). now i get to have fun fixing that.

Yup ...Apple did not buy a chip company for nothing.
They are masters of Vertical Integration.
And, they have no loyalty to any particular architecture...dumped 6502 -> 68000 -> PowerPC -> x86...business is business.

Make hay while the sun shines :D

It IS because of the large amount of people that still use Leopard on older Macs, they were having to call in and purchase over the phone.

The end user should always be given the choice what to do after he or she makes a PURCHASE of any kind of product.
"User License" ha....
What if one wanted to buy 10 of them and just smash them to pieces, is he violating the "user license".

At the end of the day This place is genius! Apple will never go after the individual user and no one here is putting a gun to anyones head forcing them to use free info to save money and enjoy a well priced product. $19.99.

I say we enjoy this for as long as it lasts because if they switch back to Apple produced CPUs there will be some time before anything like this is available.

Im going to buy a few copies of SL to have around especially if its 10.6.8!

Cool little article guys. Good info to know.

The disc is still 10.6.3

This is great! I was going to do the song and dance routine to order it by phone, but this makes it even easier. I've put my order in.

Hopefully they update the drivers so we can use the good new video cards on this one !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back