Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an update from 10.6.6

Rebooted and started up fine, just no audio. Ran Audio Rollback from Multibeast, rebooted.

Now my computer just turns off during boot. First time it kind of got to the desktop screen then turned off. Last time, it turned off during the white Apple logo. Any thoughts on this one?

Is there a way to manually rollback to 10.6.7 or am I ****ed?

Ah, so I think that I figured things out.

When I did my initial update and I had no sound, I attempted to rollback my audio from an old version of MultiBeast. So I booted into an old clone drive (10.6.4 I believe), replaced the kext via the terminal with a 10.6.7 audio rollback and then successfully booted into my main hard drive. Of course, the sound still didn't work. So I rolled back my audio and repaired cache/permissions via the newest version of MultiBeast. Everything seems to be in order now.

This forum rocks!

shrimp123 said:
hi

i have H55M-USB3 and GTS250.

and i still get the [PCI configuration begin] hangup :(
any suggestions?

i have replaced the IOPCI.. with the one from page1 already and run repair permissions.

thanks
S

THE IOPCI 'fix' from page 1 actually made my system worse (caused a different and worse crash on startup). After putting the origial kext back in place, I made the reccommended DSDT change from a few pages back and that fixed it for me. Different MB though.

BartMan01 said:
THE IOPCI 'fix' from page 1 actually made my system worse (caused a different and worse crash on startup). After putting the origial kext back in place, I made the reccommended DSDT change from a few pages back and that fixed it for me. Different MB though.

i had used "software upate". Now, i downloaded the combo, re-updated, applied the iopci fix. yummy.

now the display resolution is wrong. May be just another tag on com.apple.

thanks all

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R V2 Updated to 10.6.8 no issues. Pretty much the same Geekbench scores. Wonder if Lion will be this easy? Thanks Tony! U DA MAN!

I have the following and cannot get sound to work for the life of me:

System: GA-H55-USB3
CPU: i7-870
Graphics: NVIDIA 9500GT

Anyone got it working with same board? This is irritating me! LOL :banghead:

Hello, friends,

I have read the first 10 pages of this thread, but it'll take me a while, yet, to get through the remaining 71. Forgive any stupid redundancies and/or obvious oversights that follow.

I'm a dumb n00b, humbled by the lot of you, and I've just now summoned up the courage to upgrade from 10.6.4 to 10.6.8. To my great amazement, it seems, so far, to have worked. Believe me, I don't understand why.

My rig is (essentially) this Lifehacker build:
http://m.lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to- ... easy-steps
(Deets in the signature)

And here's what happened:
1. I did not remove extra sticks of RAM (I have 8GB).
2. I cloned my 10.6.4 boot drive onto another hard drive and booted into the clone.
3. I deleted SleepEnabler.kext.
4. I ran the 10.6.8 combo update; I did not restart when prompted to.
5. I fired up MultiBeast (3.7.3) and checked off EasyBeast, System Utilities, and an audio and a network kext (VoodooHDA 0.2.72 and Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL…, respectively). I tried three times, and I tried checking fewer options, but every time it returned the message, "The Installation Failed." So I gave up on that.
6. I installed the 10.6.8 version of SleepEnabler.kext, then rebooted.

The aftermath:
When I say "it seems to have worked," what I mean is that my 10.6.8 installation is no worse than my 10.6.4 installation of late. The catch is, my 10.6.4 build had been having (pretty serious) problems recently, which is part of what prompted me to do the update in the first place. Those problems didn't go away. Incidentally, if any kind person wants to help me solve those problems - or even point me to an appropriate thread to ask for help with those problems - I'd be much obliged. Message me?

Otherwise, only one thing seems to be different from my 10.6.4 build: I now have a VoodooHDA preferences pane that I didn't have before. My network and audio all work normally.

I haven't yet tried to repeat this on my main HD, as I'm still so perplexed by why what I did worked. I'd really love it if someone would explain to me what just happened - what I did right (if anything), what I did wrong, what I should change when I try this on the main drive, etc.

Thanks, everybody

Soorrrrrrryyy for the long post.

shrimp123 said:
BartMan01 said:

i had used "software upate". Now, i downloaded the combo, re-updated, applied the iopci fix. yummy.

now the display resolution is wrong. May be just another tag on com.apple.

thanks all

Sounds scary. Since I have the same MB and GFX card I think that I will skip this update and see what 10.7 brings ;)

cid2011 said:
I have the following and cannot get sound to work for the life of me:

System: GA-H55-USB3
CPU: i7-870
Graphics: NVIDIA 9500GT

Anyone got it working with same board? This is irritating me! LOL :banghead:

After many days of frustration....FINALLY I now have sound!.

I found i had HDA Enabler889.kext in stalled in S/L/E from previous configuration working ok. Doesn't work with OS 10.6.8:

1) I deleted HDA Enabler889.kext, along with all the other non-DSDT HDA Enablers, and also found a Voodoo.kext i shouldn't of had..
2) ran System Utilities
3) rebooted.
4) reinstalled ACL8xxHDA and Apple HDA Rollback
5) ran System Utilities
6) rebooted
7) all is great!

Hope this helps someone. Thank you all for the help throughout my Hackintosh years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back