Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update (and Combo Update v1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There's a new AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.8, and some fixes for Migration Assistant. That's about all the difference. It's been rolled into the default Combo Updater as v1.1.

About Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update
The Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and resolves issues with:

Transferring personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion
Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately and fail to complete
System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1429

Thanks Tony , it may help some with random issues

First of all, thanks, Tony, for your hard work and your continued guidance.

Does Multibeast/DSDT need to be run again after installing the 10.6.8 Supplemental Update?

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
MSI Hawk Radeon 5770
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
1TB Seagate Barracuda

Installed the 10.6.8 Supplemental Updater instead of the full Combo Update v1.1. No surprises so far... as expected, my modified AppleHDA.kext was overwritten and I lost my audio (Realtek ALC889a). I just reapplied the modified 'Platform.xml' resource I got from "ALC885_889a_LION.zip" downloaded from insanelymac.com and all is well.

If you are using the same method as above to restore ALC889a audio (instead of a rollback), replace the 'Platforms.xml' resource only. The new KEXT already has its own 'layout885.xml' resource, so don't replace it like you did with the previous AppleHDA.kext (v2.0.5, 31 July 2009). It gets a little confusing because the new KEXT has the same version number but a later creation date of 13 July 2011.

Looked like a small update, so I just ran it through Software Update and now I'm getting a kernel panic during the apple boot screen :/ (with the machine in my sig).

Help would be appreciated :]

EDIT: Looks like there's a conflict with VooDooHDA. Booting from another drive to try to fix.

Hi all,

i've lost the sound after this update too and can't get it back even after replacing the "platform.xml". before this, i ran multibeast hoping that it would fix it but all i got is constant kp, so i used the image of my hdd to get back and upated again. everything else is ok. any help would be appreciated.

my config:
GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
i7 2600
Sapphire HD6870

I lost my sound as well.

Can someone point me to a guide on audio kext rollback, and/or explain how it's diff. than the approach detailed above: viewtopic.php?p=169383#p169383

Thanks!

AkumaStreak:

I lost my sound as well.

Can someone point me to a guide on audio kext rollback, and/or explain how it's diff. than the approach detailed above: viewtopic.php?p=169383#p169383

Thanks!

Multibeast utility available here automates the AppleHDA.kext rollback. All it does is replace it with an older version (the one that came with Mac OS 10.6.2) that still supports your audio codec. The method above lets me use the most recent extension for ALC889a... I don't know if it really makes a difference... I just like running the most recent version if I can.

ozgehan:

i've lost the sound after this update too and can't get it back even after replacing the "platform.xml". before this, i ran multibeast hoping that it would fix it but all i got is constant kp, so i used the image of my hdd to get back and upated again. everything else is ok. any help would be appreciated.

The files I used are specific to Realtek ALC889a. If you downloaded the file I mentioned, it won't work with yours since your motherboard, to the best of my knowledge, uses ALC889. There might be a mod specific for your setup, but it's probably easier to use one of the universal VooDooHDA extensions or rollback the AppleHDA. Did you use Multibeast to specifically perform a rollback (Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Realtek ALC8xx > AppleHDA Rollback)?

Did the update. As expected, system rebooted fine and only the audio was missing. Just like when I did the combo update for 10.6.8 from 10.6.3, ran AppleHDARollback from MultiBeast then installed GigabyteALC888b.kext and HDAEnabler.kext with Kext Helper. Rebooted and everything came up fine.

My 10.6.8 build was working ok except for not being able to log into the app store. I tried all the work arounds I could see here. Nothing worked. Then I saw the apple supplemental update and I thought..Problem Solved!.. Unfortunately, now I have a kernal panic with reboots and can only get in under Safe Boot. any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back