Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.7 Early 2011 MacBook Pro Sandy Bridge Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
7,238
Motherboard
PRIME Z490-A
CPU
i5 10600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
brasiones said:
Hey Guys, still have sucess, but anyone with i5 getting 32x max? Higher getting kp?
And the ddr3 1333 memory not showing, appears only 800 mhz ddr2

Thoughts?

Thanks Guys

Ya- it's a cosmetic issue. It's the valv branch of Chameleon, otherwise known as AnVal. It only has preliminary support for Sandy Bridge CPU, and also lacks the memory detect features of Trunk version (r699) and Kabyl's (r748)
 
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
288
Motherboard
MSI MEG Unify Z490i
CPU
i9-10850k
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Flavio said:
I have finally managed to do it!

First I used Turco_ninja's method but the MBP Install partition wouldn't boot so I could not do a fresh installation on a new HD.
1) I did manage to get the Install partition to boot properly after I edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics card ID (0x68BE1002). It's a HD5750 BTW.
2) After I did the fresh installation I booted from my original SSD, ran the 10.6.7 MBP Combo update on the new HD. Make sure your smbios.plist has the MacBookPro8,x line in it otherwise you won't be able to run the Update.
3) I then edited again the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002) on the new HD.
4) I then ran Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option, so I can boot from it.
5) I then ran Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) I then deleted the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
I could now reboot straight from the new HD and it runs the latest kernel (6 March).

So there were two crucial things to get it going:
1) Edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002). This solved the hanging at boot. If you have a different graphics card you might have to do something else.
2) Use the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. Without it you get a KP when booting.

I also found out that I couldn't change the SMproductname in the smbios.plist file. If I did I got a KP at boot.

I am now going to try to run the 10.6.7 Update on my existing SB installation and see if I can get it working using the information above.

Thanks for the guide Flavio.
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
37
Motherboard
z390 aorus xtreme
CPU
9900k
Graphics
vega56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
JoshNYC said:
Flavio said:
I have finally managed to do it!

First I used Turco_ninja's method but the MBP Install partition wouldn't boot so I could not do a fresh installation on a new HD.
1) I did manage to get the Install partition to boot properly after I edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics card ID (0x68BE1002). It's a HD5750 BTW.
2) After I did the fresh installation I booted from my original SSD, ran the 10.6.7 MBP Combo update on the new HD. Make sure your smbios.plist has the MacBookPro8,x line in it otherwise you won't be able to run the Update.
3) I then edited again the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002) on the new HD.
4) I then ran Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option, so I can boot from it.
5) I then ran Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) I then deleted the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
I could now reboot straight from the new HD and it runs the latest kernel (6 March).

So there were two crucial things to get it going:
1) Edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002). This solved the hanging at boot. If you have a different graphics card you might have to do something else.
2) Use the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. Without it you get a KP when booting.

I also found out that I couldn't change the SMproductname in the smbios.plist file. If I did I got a KP at boot.

I am now going to try to run the 10.6.7 Update on my existing SB installation and see if I can get it working using the information above.

Thanks for the guide Flavio.


What If you dont have ATI card ? for example ive got nvidia gtx465 ??

greets
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
19
Motherboard
Asus P8P67 Pro
CPU
i7-2600k
Graphics
Evga Geforce GTX 470 model 012-P3-1470-AR
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
vallok said:
JoshNYC said:
Flavio said:
I have finally managed to do it!

First I used Turco_ninja's method but the MBP Install partition wouldn't boot so I could not do a fresh installation on a new HD.
1) I did manage to get the Install partition to boot properly after I edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics card ID (0x68BE1002). It's a HD5750 BTW.
2) After I did the fresh installation I booted from my original SSD, ran the 10.6.7 MBP Combo update on the new HD. Make sure your smbios.plist has the MacBookPro8,x line in it otherwise you won't be able to run the Update.
3) I then edited again the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002) on the new HD.
4) I then ran Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option, so I can boot from it.
5) I then ran Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) I then deleted the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
I could now reboot straight from the new HD and it runs the latest kernel (6 March).

So there were two crucial things to get it going:
1) Edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002). This solved the hanging at boot. If you have a different graphics card you might have to do something else.
2) Use the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. Without it you get a KP when booting.

I also found out that I couldn't change the SMproductname in the smbios.plist file. If I did I got a KP at boot.

I am now going to try to run the 10.6.7 Update on my existing SB installation and see if I can get it working using the information above.

Thanks for the guide Flavio.


What If you dont have ATI card ? for example ive got nvidia gtx465 ??

greets

instead of editing the kext to include the ati card as specified, it's just a matter of running the "installs on anything" tonymac nvidia update for fermi nvidia cards, and that should do it :)
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
37
Motherboard
z390 aorus xtreme
CPU
9900k
Graphics
vega56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have finally managed to do it!

First I used Turco_ninja's method but the MBP Install partition wouldn't boot so I could not do a fresh installation on a new HD.
1) I did manage to get the Install partition to boot properly after I edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics card ID (0x68BE1002). It's a HD5750 BTW.
2) After I did the fresh installation I booted from my original SSD, ran the 10.6.7 MBP Combo update on the new HD. Make sure your smbios.plist has the MacBookPro8,x line in it otherwise you won't be able to run the Update.
3) I then edited again the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002) on the new HD.
4) I then ran Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option, so I can boot from it.
5) I then ran Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) I then deleted the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
I could now reboot straight from the new HD and it runs the latest kernel (6 March).

So there were two crucial things to get it going:
1) Edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002). This solved the hanging at boot. If you have a different graphics card you might have to do something else.
2) Use the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. Without it you get a KP when booting.

I also found out that I couldn't change the SMproductname in the smbios.plist file. If I did I got a KP at boot.

I am now going to try to run the 10.6.7 Update on my existing SB installation and see if I can get it working using the information above.




What If you dont have ATI card ? for example ive got nvidia gtx465 ??

greets
instead of editing the kext to include the ati card as specified, it's just a matter of running the "installs on anything" tonymac nvidia update for fermi nvidia cards, and that should do it :)

hehe nice advice but how you do it when you cant boot up. BTW I had it installed before the update from 6.6 to 10.6.7

...Flavio, you used the mbp 2011 disk as I understand ? ( Turco_ninja method ) ?
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
43
Motherboard
Z97-UD5
CPU
Core i5
Graphics
GeForce GTX 770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Flavio said:
I have finally managed to do it!

First I used Turco_ninja's method but the MBP Install partition wouldn't boot so I could not do a fresh installation on a new HD.
1) I did manage to get the Install partition to boot properly after I edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics card ID (0x68BE1002). It's a HD5750 BTW.
2) After I did the fresh installation I booted from my original SSD, ran the 10.6.7 MBP Combo update on the new HD. Make sure your smbios.plist has the MacBookPro8,x line in it otherwise you won't be able to run the Update.
3) I then edited again the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002) on the new HD.
4) I then ran Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option, so I can boot from it.
5) I then ran Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) I then deleted the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
I could now reboot straight from the new HD and it runs the latest kernel (6 March).

Thanks for the guide but I think you missed a step in there somewhere. Don't you have to update to 10.6.6 before installing 10.6.7? It was my understanding that 10.6.7 won't run on a fresh 10.6.0 (or 10.6.3) install. Is that not the case?
 
Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Messages
108
Motherboard
Hackintosh Mini
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770T
Graphics
ATI HD5450 & Intel HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
kcarbone927 said:
Thanks for the guide but I think you missed a step in there somewhere. Don't you have to update to 10.6.6 before installing 10.6.7? It was my understanding that 10.6.7 won't run on a fresh 10.6.0 (or 10.6.3) install. Is that not the case?

I believe the MBP 2011 Install DVD is already 10.6.6.
 
Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Messages
108
Motherboard
Hackintosh Mini
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770T
Graphics
ATI HD5450 & Intel HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I now also got the update working on an existing 10.6.6 SB installation.

Here's what I did:
1) Make a clone of your existing HD with Carbon Copy Cloner.
2) Make sure the 10.6.6 installation identifies as described here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/03/ ... -2011.html
3) Run the MBP 2011 10.6.7. Combo update.
4) Edit the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include graphics ID (0x68BE1002).
4) Run Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option.
5) Run Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) Delete the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
7) Change the system id in smbios.plist to MacBookPro8,x. Without this I get a KP at boot?

I can overclock the CPU and enable TurboBoost in the BIOS but I have no way of checking in OSX if this actually works. The CPU is still identified a 3.3GHz Core i5-2500K.
Also the graphics card is identified as an ATI Radeon HD 5000, not an HD 5750. QE/CI works however.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top