Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.7 Early 2011 MacBook Pro Sandy Bridge Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
grimflow said:
> Why 8,3 ? Tony wrote in his early guida to change 6,1 to 8,1. ?

why not.., it makes no difference, it checks for 8,1 8,2 or 8,3. i changed it back to macpro3,1 after update, because some of my apps think it a new machine and need reauthorization (Dragon Age 2, Remote Buddy and some other apps that checks hw id and type)

SUCCESS!

I have a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 and was having a hard time booting without iboot.

I skipped the 10.6.6 combo update (and bridge app thing), and installed right from the retail 10.6.3 dvd (using iboot legacy), then installed the regular 10.6.7 combo update, without rebooting, mounted the 10.6.7 MBP update and used pacifist to extract the newest kernel (you can just right click on it in pacifist and choose install - it places it in the root directory)... and even though I authorized pacifist to run as root, I guess it doesn't carry over the hidden flag, because I could see the kernel via finder. ANYWAY....

I was getting a KP with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, so I was racking my brain why NullCPUPowerManagement.kext wasn't working.... so I figured I'd try to install the entire 10.6.7 MBP update by switching my smbios.plist to MacBookPro8,3... well.. get this... when I restarted, I didn't hit f12 in time to boot from my DVD (iboot) by accident and it loaded the normal bootloader off the hard drive.... and.. VIOLA... it's working!

Thats all I did - extracted the new kernel from the MBP update and changed the "SMproductname" key. (I also changed the "SMfamily" to MacBookPro, but I dont think that mattered)

I haven't tested everything out yet, but thought I'd share that with you guys.

[edit]

OK this is weird, I put it back to MacPro3,1 and rebooted... and it still works.

Soooooo... maybe it wasnt that, but I didnt change anything else... it defintely was KP
ing before with the 10.6.7 macbookpro kernel. Weird.

Alexey said:
How can i get it working using i7-2600 CPU (not a K-one!) with locked multiplier?

busratio=32 didn't help:(

Did you try to boot without the flag?

theta2099 said:
Now I'm happily using my GA-P67A-UD7 with an i7 2600 (can't get above 32 on the ratio, however).

I´m basically on the same board.
Do you also experience audio issues (e.g. popping sound prior to playing a system sound) and does it restart/shut down correctly?

I had no issues with such things @10.6.6 but with 10.6.7 now, pure kext system via multibeast. Don´t know if there are some "leftover" kexts in the system which I should get rid of.

Update: Audio seems to have improved. I was creating a DSDT via autopatcher so I could eliminate the nonDSDTenabler for 889. It just seems that the popping sound prior to playing a system sound just comes up upon playing a sound for the first time, as if it is something caused while the sounds are loaded from hd. Thereafter sound is smooth.

Still no success with restart or shutdown: Monitor goes black and hds spin down but the mobo remaines powered and must be shutdown via power button.
Tried DSDT and nonDSDT with almost all combinations of "miscellaneous" kexts from multibeast :banghead:

Say Heading said:
theta2099 said:
Now I'm happily using my GA-P67A-UD7 with an i7 2600 (can't get above 32 on the ratio, however).

Do you also experience audio issues (e.g. popping sound prior to playing a system sound) and does it restart/shut down correctly?
My sound is working fine but I do here a "pop" when the speaker is used for the first time in a few minutes. This pop even occurs if something attempts to use the speaker but it is muted (for example, new mail notification from Outlook while speakers are muted through the OS). The popping isn't terribly loud and if something is making constant use of the speakers (such as listening to music), it only happens at the start.

I got to where I am using DSDT AutoPatcher for my motherboard AND using ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, ALC892 (for non-DSDT installs) from MultiBeast 3.4. Of course, I also had the System Utilities checked to make sure the caches were rebuilt in the process.

When can I expect a 2600k/ Asus P67 build guide? I want to do a lot of video editing so I need the sound and video to work too.

theta2099 said:
Say Heading said:
theta2099 said:

My sound is working fine but I do here a "pop" when the speaker is used for the first time in a few minutes. This pop even occurs if something attempts to use the speaker but it is muted (for example, new mail notification from Outlook while speakers are muted through the OS). The popping isn't terribly loud and if something is making constant use of the speakers (such as listening to music), it only happens at the start.

I got to where I am using DSDT AutoPatcher for my motherboard AND using ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, ALC892 (for non-DSDT installs) from MultiBeast 3.4. Of course, I also had the System Utilities checked to make sure the caches were rebuilt in the process.
I got rid of the "pop" sound by editing the SMproductname key in /Extra/smbios.plist to MacPro3,1

HOTDOGS said:
When can I expect a 2600k/ Asus P67 build guide? I want to do a lot of video editing so I need the sound and video to work too.

There is a chunk of information floating around in different threads about the asus p67 board. If you are interested I am receiving my asus board and 2600k on Monday and will be putting together a super detailed guide as I put the rig together, and I am using the parts listed in my sig. I will be posting the guide as a new thread in the Sandy Bridge forum.

...at least something: Reverting to Mac Pro 3,1 in smbios.plist killed the popping sound, but I had also to change the SystemVersion.plist back from 10J3210 to 10J567 (otherwise kp @ boot).

Still does not restart or shut down, must use the power button to shut down.
Was trying the above mentioned changes both on the dsdt based system as well as on a non dsdt system with all required "miscellaneous" kexts reinstalled.

The only "hope" I have at the moment is that a fresh install from scratch could fix leftovers caused by whatever - don´t know - permission issues? Who knows.
But I´m to lazy now to get the memory out (cooler in the way) and pull cables...

I guess I´ll stay at 10.6.6 for a while with my main boot...

Why did you get that card? Why not a GTX 480?

Rankel said:
HOTDOGS said:

There is a chunk of information floating around in different threads about the asus p67 board. If you are interested I am receiving my asus board and 2600k on Monday and will be putting together a super detailed guide as I put the rig together, and I am using the parts listed in my sig. I will be posting the guide as a new thread in the Sandy Bridge forum.

We have very similar hardware - looking forward to your guide :¬)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back