Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to doing the update - a little bumpy:

Installed 10.6.5 Combo to victim drive running 10.6.3:
- Rebooted after update installation OK. USB devices OK. Bluetooth "not available".
- Sleep induced the fans-on-full coma and audio not working. Multibeast and AudioRollback fixed both of those.
- Wouldn't finish shut down or restart without using the power switch. Changed ACPI power setting from S3(STR) to S1(POS) as suggested earlier in this thread, fixed that.
- Bluetooth still jacked but WTF, everything else seems happy. On to the main drive.

Installed 10.6.5 Combo to main SL drive running 10.6.4:
- Rebooted after update installation. I didn't run MultiBeast before rebooting because the victim drive didn't have USB issues. Bad decision. Audio gone, sleep gone, USB gone. Cold boot doesn't help.
- Booted to victim drive, find that I have a copy of the 10.6.4 combo updater sitting around. Unpacked using Pacifist and copy the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts to /S/L/E on main drive. USB back after reboot.
- Multibeast AudioRollback fixes audio/sleep issues. I was using a custom audio kext before, haven't checked yet whether it still works under 10.6.5.
- Bluetooth is still not avail. Switched Cirago for Asus dongle and no joy. Unhappiness but at least it's pretty solid otherwise.

Moral of the story: it's worth hanging onto the combo updater packages! That and this thread got me un-wedged quickly. Thanks to all here and Tony/MacMan for their great work.

agentplaid said:
- Bluetooth is still not avail. Switched Cirago for Asus dongle and no joy. Unhappiness but at least it's pretty solid otherwise.
Is bluetooth nonfunctional for everyone, or is it on certain bluetooth dongles? I have the Targus dongle and really need bluetooth support for my Magic Mouse.

Thank u tony and all. Updated from 10.6.3 using combo update download. Everything worked except for sound. I just used multibeast to install Legtacy HDA/ ALC888 and smbios.plist iMac 11,1 core i7. Now all is as it should be :)

laguna1212 said:
I'm having problems getting into OSX without using iBoot 2.5.2. The progress circle just spins at the apple screen. Any ideas?

This is also what I am experiencing - but I posted in the Multibeast 2.5.1 thread.

Hey guys - still struggling to get sleep working, tried everything mentioned so far in this thread....

My box sleeps and wakes ok, but then after say a minute, I get the spinning beach ball and the system becomes unresponsive - I have to hit the reset button at this point because it will not respond to even a shutdown command.

Any ideas? (System as per profile)

Connie Mac said:
agentplaid said:
Is bluetooth nonfunctional for everyone, or is it on certain bluetooth dongles? I have the Targus dongle and really need bluetooth support for my Magic Mouse.

I hope you're not saying that your Targus dongle isn't working, because I just ordered one...

Going Bald said:
I am happy to report that, so far as I can tell, everything works!
4 USB ports, headphone & mic jacks, firewire & eSATA ports on the front panel work.
On the back panel, the 4 standard USB ports (where my keyboard and mouse are),
the 2 combo USB/eSATA ports, the 2 USB 3.0 ports (I will test actual speed later), the firewire port, both RJ45 lan ports(I have both hooked up to the router) and the S/PDIF optical (I did not check the RCA) - all working.
A little more testing reveals that without unplugging my LG Blu-ray drive auto sleep works, wake up works, command sleep works (put to sleep - tested for 45 minutes - wake it up.
Never worked before because after about 5 minutes the LG would spin up and break sleep.

Everything works after wake up, too, which it sometimes didn't before. So, a more demanding test - put it to sleep overnight and will it wake up the next morning and everything work?

YES!!! Sleep works in all modes and wakes up with everything working.
TM and crew- donation is on it's way!

A little testing of the USB3.0 port gets me into the 60 Mb/s range, which is not bad.
I formatted the WD My Passport 500Gb USB 3.0 drive FAT32 so it would match the Seagate 7200 Enterprise 1 Tb format that I use as a swap drive mounted on one of the gSATA ports and repeated the tests at the same transfer rates.
The Seagate got just a little over 100Mb/s, so the USB 3.0 hasn't caught up to SATA2 yet.
Results attached.
Transfer rate tests.zip

Attachments

• Transfer rate tests.zip
    167.1 KB · Views: 76
agentplaid said:
I hope you're not saying that your Targus dongle isn't working, because I just ordered one...

No, I haven't done the 10.6.5 update yet. I wanted to make sure as best as I can that all works. I will do a fresh install on a new disk after T-giving, then do the 10.6.5 update and report back here. Hopefully the problem is dongle-specific and not bluetooth in general.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSDT-GA-Z77-DS3H-F3_fixed.aml
    38.4 KB · Views: 103
After trying all the ways I could find on the internet, I still cant get sleep work in 10.6.5. Basically, the monitor, keyboard, mouse and usb speakers go to sleep, but I still can see the light from the case and the power switch. This never happened before the upgrade. Clicking the mouse will not turn the monitor on except the light on the mouse turns on.

I have tried all the sleepenabler kexts I found online with no luck.

Any suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back