Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
thefjk said:
Thanks Tony and everyone who commented on this, my X58-UD3R is up to speed now after Googling and reading stuff. Here was my experience...

Did Update First Time, Instead Of Combo:
Panicked and reformatted my Mac, but had a SuperDuper clone I could restore files with... so proceeded to Combo update and use:

MultiBeast which worked but couldn't boot from HDD using UserDSDT option only:
Had to install RC4 1.1.9 on top, that got it working... using DType theme yo!

Didn't realize I had to rollback USB's either:
I cheated booted my Windows on 2nd HDD and installed kexts from there (MacDrive 8) had to -f -x boot I think...

Had no Audio when I stopped using iBoot cd:
Figured out the LegacyHDA I needed and rolled back AppleHDA too.

Sorry for the horrible write up, :D
Rolling back USB is for non-DSDT systems only.

Updated successfully on my system (P55M-UD2 & i5-760). I followed my normal plan for updating Mac OS X by using the Combo Updater. Additionally, on my Hackintosh, I

• - made a clone of my Mac OS 10.6.4 partition to an external HDD backup using Carbon Copy Cloner;

- downloaded the latest version of iBoot (2.5.2), burned a CD-RW and booted from the CD;

- booted the clone of my Mac OS 10.6.4 partition on the external HDD (note: could only do this w/USB connection; Firewire connect wasn't recognized by iBoot/Chameleon even though my MB had Firewire enabled);

- copied the 10.6.5 combo, Safari 5.03 and iTunes 10.1 onto the desktop from a USB Flash drive (I had already downloaded the three updates for my other Macs);

- repaired disk permissions before updating(!);

- installed the iTunes 10.1 update;

- installed the 10.6.5 update (didn't reboot);

- installed the Safari update (didn't reboot);

- ran MultiBeast 2.4 (latest edition):[list:krlm4t5h]
    -- checked UserDTST and System Utilities;
    -- in Advanced Options, I checked:[list:krlm4t5h]
    --- Kext/Audio/LegacyHDA: ALC887/ALC889b;
    --- Kext/Audio: Apple 10.6.2 Rollback; and
    --- Chameleon: Chameleon RC5 Prerelease.
[/list:u:krlm4t5h]

- rebooted the iBoot CD and choose the external drive;

- finally, repaired disk permissions.[/list:u:krlm4t5h]

Off the external HDD, 10.6.5 ran great with audio and sleep working. Finder window showed all the non sleeping Macs and my two NAS's. Check a couple of web sites with Firefox. Great! :clap:

Now, the same procedure for the internal HDD booting from the iBoot CD. Again success. Finally, I booted from the HDD directly. Everything works, even sleep!

(I put the Hackintosh to sleep after using it during the day. I have the Energy Saver (System Preferences) Scheduler set to wake up, backup with Time Machine and run some stuff for my HTPC. BTW, TM can be set up to backup any time/day/week/month/etc with TimeMachineEditor.)

I'm a happy camper! :headbang:

Update: I'm now running 10.6.6 and overclocked CPU at 3.2GHz. Sleep/wake-up and front panel audio as back panel surround sound work thanks to MultiBeast v3.1.0. (See Full Discription link in my signature block for my MultiBeast Configuration.) Life is good. :thumbup:

After a week everything is still holding fine. The only issue I have left is the Graphic card tearing. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear your experience as I thought this update had improved things for a while.

Card GT9800.

I upgraded over the weekend to 10.6.5 and have only found a couple of problems.

First and foremost I can not sleep...I either get a kernel panic or it sees sleep as a restart and I go through the whole bootup process.

I also get a panic if I choose restart ...I get the "You must restart your computer" panic screen.

I'm thinking this could be related to my MSI ATI 5850 video card. I understand there were some changes in 10.6.5 that effect 58xx cards. I was/am using the ATI Vervet enabler.

System info identifies it as:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5850
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6899
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
ASUS VH236H:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

Has anyone tried not using the Vervet enabler now with 10.6.5?

Well, after about half a dozen attempts to update my 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 and having no luck - kernel panics, hang on shutdown without shutting down, hang on reboot, etc., I finally bit the bullet and started from scratch.

CCCed my 10.6.4 working drive to backup, installed AsereBLNv1.1.9 and rebooted from the backup.

Didn't want any residuals to intefere so I secure erased the working drive, partitioned and formatted it.

Downloaded the iBoot GE and burned it to CD. Reboot. Delete key to Bios.
Reset BIOS to optimized defaults. Then selected the following:

INTEGRATED PREIPHERALS
ICH SATA Control Mode-------------------------[AHCI]
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode---------------------[Disabled]
USB1.0 Controller--------------------------------[Enabled]
USB2.0 Controller--------------------------------[Enabled]
USB3.0 Controller--------------------------------[Enabled]
USB Keyboard Function------------------------[Enabled]
USB Mouse Function----------------------------[Enabled]
USB Storage Function---------------------------[Enabled]
Azalia Codec-------------------------------------[Auto]
Green Lan----------------------------------------[Disabled]
Smart Lan----------------------------------------[Press Enter]
Onboard Lan Boot ROM-------------------------[Disabled]
Onboard USB3.0 Controller---------------------[Enabled]
eSATA Controller--------------------------------[Enabled]
eSATA Control Mode----------------------------[AHCI]
gSATA 6_7/IDE Controller----------------------[Enabled]
gSATA 6_7/IDE Control Mode------------------[AHCI]
SATA3 Firmware Selection---------------------[Auto]
gSATA Raid configutation----------------------[Press Enter]
gSATA 8_9/IDE Controller----------------------[Enabled]
gSATA 8_9/IDE Control Mode------------------[AHCI]
------------
Then, under:
POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP
ACPI Suspend Type------------------------------[S3(STR)]
HPET Support------------------------------------[Enabled]
HPET Mode---------------------------------------[64-bit]

F10 to save and exit.
At the chameleon, removed iBoot, replaced it with SL 10.6.0 install disk, F5 to refresh, select the install disk and away it goes....

Did the setup stuff and rebooted and for the first time actually got sound when the Welcome in many languages screen came up.

At the desktop, opened Safari and downloaded the 10.6.5 combo update from the apple support site, then to the forum to get MultiBeast and, just to be sure I had the latest patches, the latest DSDT for GA-X58A-UD7 rev. 1.0 F6
Ran the update package, then MultiBeast User DSDT, selecting what I needed for this board and rebooted.

I am happy to report that, so far as I can tell, everything works!
4 USB ports, headphone & mic jacks, firewire & eSATA ports on the front panel work.
On the back panel, the 4 standard USB ports (where my keyboard and mouse are),
the 2 combo USB/eSATA ports, the 2 USB 3.0 ports (I will test actual speed later), the firewire port, both RJ45 lan ports(I have both hooked up to the router) and the S/PDIF optical (I did not check the RCA) - all working.

Now to CCC to a backup before I mess something up.
Still need to:
1. create aliases to point to my user files on my other HD.
2. install Mozilla Firefox (I prefer it to Safari) and copy over application support files so I don't have to redo my bookmarks and settings.
3. Install the developer tools from the install disk
4. update everything else from software update.

The only issue I have may be caused by the Chameleon RC5 prerelease I used - there is a long delay at the pale blue screen after post before the desktop comes up. With the AsereBLN boot files it was never more than one or two seconds, usually more like a flash of blue and then the desktop. I think I may experiment a little and clone this install to another drive and use the AsereBLN on it and see what happens. The chameleon and the external drive enclosures with the red and green lights is cute, but I prefer speed.

Other than that, I am one happy camper right now! Thanks to tonymacx86 and all the crew here for their efforts.
(I give up - tried to put smilies here and selecting Img and then the smilie just doesn't seem to work. How do you get them inserted?

lerxst - you need to rebuild the kext cache, or just run multibeast with the same options as you did when you first set up the hackintosh. I had the same problem and now it works fine.

ajaxharg said:
lerxst - you need to rebuild the kext cache, or just run multibeast with the same options as you did when you first set up the hackintosh. I had the same problem and now it works fine.

I'm afraid that didnt fix it. I reinstalled and rebuilt caches within Multibeast.

It doesnt kernel panic now but sleep results in a reboot when you try to wake the system back up.

Lerxst said:
ajaxharg said:

I'm afraid that didnt fix it. I reinstalled and rebuilt caches within Multibeast.

It doesnt kernel panic now but sleep results in a reboot when you try to wake the system back up.
I guess you forgot about this? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1165

I don't know if anyone has already run into this or not. I didn't feel like reading all 43 pages....

I just installed the new 10.6.5 update to my Asus Motherboard i55, intel i7 870.

After the update ran and the computer restarted, I got a Kernel error. Says at the top "version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM" That's a small part of the code there's a lot more. In the middle it says "You need to start your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

Of course after doing this, the same message comes up. I'm really lost at this point. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Lerxst said:
ajaxharg said:

Good advice and yes somehow the 10.6.5 install had unchecked the "Startup automatically after a Power Failure" box

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back