Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i too rec'd a kernel panic, but ...

applied the update to my Q6600 system (spec in signature) and everything is fine -- graphics, network, audio. i noticed in com.apple.boot.plist:

Kernel=mach_kernal
Kernel Flag=i386

when i changed the flag to x86_64 (64-bit), i get a kernel panic on boot.

anything i'm missing? couldn't find any similar posting on this thread re this issue.

i do have a "dsdt.aml" file under /extra, but wasn't an issue under 32-bit. red herring?

any guidance appreciated.

Install Combo Update, now i have no USB support.
So i boot with iBoot, also no USB support and the PS2 Keyboard (2 different versions tested) also don´t work.
What can i do :?:

Mainboard
GA P55A UD4

Strange USB issue? - Anyone else with this...

My USB is running just fine except that I have a Razor mouse plugged in and on startup the mouse is jittery as all hell. I unplug it and plug it back in and it runs fine.

Anyone else?

Also

KP could be something small such as a bad kext... can't hurt to try this for a fix.

If anyone is getting kernel panics... on bootloader hit spacebar and type in "-v" for safe mode. If you get a KP you'll see it nice and pretty in writing on this screen. Mine showed
"loading sleepenabler... if you get a kernel panic it will look like this 000xxffxx289"

Sure enough right under that line was a bunch of coding lines and found the problem, so I removed the kext (had another mac comp and just went through that) and then on next restart I hit -x and -v to and voila.. into 10.6.5.

The update worked fine for me. I did have to reinstall my graphics card drivers though. Oddly enough, it was still working with OpenGL etc, just at 1024x768. Since I just recently purchased this card and spent 2 days getting it to work, I had the reinstallation process down pat. :p

Re: New Software Update Forum

MacIntouch site has reports of upgrader's experiences. All positive. Link.

Some of the more interesting reports:

- 10.6.5 boots into 64-bit kernel by default on newer Macs

- Repair Permissions before and after the update [Disk Utility, Cocktail or Onyx] and everything appears to work OK; took about 20 minutes

BTW, Apple's KN has a warning:
You should back up your system before installation; you can use Time Machine.
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system. You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means

skogmike said:
There's a post on Cult of Mac recommending downloading the combo update and using that for the install.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106
I always have used the combo update on my Macs since Apple first started offering them. I (and from what I've read on the 'net) have never had a problem with the combos, unlike reports from others just using the Software Updater incremental update. I also repair permissions before and after all updates, too.

The MacIntouch site has reports of upgrader's experiences. Almost all positive. Link.

Some of the more interesting reports:

- 10.6.5 boots into 64-bit kernel by default on newer Macs

- Repair Permissions before and after the update [Disk Utility, Cocktail or Onyx] and everything appears to work OK; took about 20 minutes

BTW, Apple's KN has a warning:
You should back up your system before installation; you can use Time Machine.
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system. You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means

Unfortunately, I won't be able to install the update until later next week. So, keep your experiences coming. If you have trouble with the update, be sure to document if you updated with the incremental installer or the combo. Good Luck to all.

What size is the combo update mine stops at about 214MB seems finished but refuses to open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back