Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally solved my No USB Keyboard issue after updating to 10.6.5

I tried replacing the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorage.kext with the files from the 10.6.4 combo update, but still had no usb keyboard after rebooting (The USB external drives started working, however). Frustrated, I restarted and used the -F flag at the Chameleon boot screen, and everything started working!

This got me thinking that the problem was in the com.apple.boot.plist file. Looking inside that file I noticed that I had a kernel flag arch=i386 set. I replaced that with an empty string and rebooted and everything is working fine.

Here is what my com.apple.boot.plist looks like now...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Ancient?! Man, it's only like 2 months old :( I made the mistake of not checking back on this website enough, that's for sure. You all have been a great help in this process.

At the moment, I have cloned my unbootable drive and will be installing 10.6.3 to then upgrade to 10.6.5. The "big three" things that need to be resolved are...

Audio - ?!?!
Ethernet - Lnx2Mac's kext
USB - Rollback?

VoodooHDA seemed to be one of the culprits of the kernel panics in the first place. What is a reliable audio solution for GA-P55A-UD3 (rev 2.0), which I believe uses ALC892...

I've successfully upgraded my Mac to 10.6.5 today, thanks!

A few things to note though: after I installed the update, I had to use the Audio Rollback Kext and System Utilities. Once I restarted after installing those kexts, it Kernel Panicked. So, when I hard restart my Mac, everything works fine.

I tried restarting my Mac again, it doesn't seem to be Kernel Picnicking anymore.

Not sure what's causing this, but other than that, everything seems to work fine now. Thanks again!

:)

Further to my earlier post further up I can now happily confirm sleep is working without needing any tweaking whatsoever!

[edit] :cry: false alarm; thought my KB wasn't plugged in but it was. Now trying to scoop up a wired mac KB somewhere. Anyone knows if this is going to change anything?

Thanks for the ethernet fix. Mine works now. Still need to get the alc 892 fix :)

My IDE DVD Drive is lost on SL... when i boot it works fine.. when SL has started there is no dvd drive, any idea for this??

Update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 via Combo went pretty smooth. Just had to fix the WiFi Atheros 9285 by installing the IOFamily again. Voodoobattery disappeared and has to be installed again.

So far my Notebook Samsung R780, Core i5 520, NV 330, 8GB Kingston Ram fits ok with Snow 10.6.5

Now I wish I could understand the DSDT edit magic to push the system beyond Easybeast.

Attachments

• Update Success.jpg
    Update Success.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 294
Flexigem said:
Update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 via Combo went pretty smooth. Just had to fix the WiFi Atheros 9285 by installing the IOFamily again. Voodoobattery disappeared and has to be installed again.

So far my Notebook Samsung R780, Core i5 520, NV 330, 8GB Kingston Ram fits ok with Snow 10.6.5

Now I wish I could understand the DSDT edit magic to push the system beyond Easybeast.

What is working with the 780 and how have you installed Snow?

I AM SOO EXCITED!!

THINGS I FIXED after installing the update - sleep issue, and a whole bunch of other issues that shouldn't have happened (restart/reboot fix, shut down fix, sleep fix).

what did i do? ran multibeast and i just reinstalled my dsdt, and did all the other extra options that you would normally do after a fresh install.

for example, me, since i have an ATI graphics card, i had to follow the instructions here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4603.

why did i do all this? because i screwed up my kexts. first i didn't backup my sleep enabler, then my sleep didn't work post update. so i tried fixing that. screwed up restart and shut down. in the end, this is what fixed my computer. so i thought it was necessary.

Note: sleep, restart, shut down, ALL worked fine pre-update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back