Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a GA-P55M-UD2 here,
Applied the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and it works, but only when booting with -F, otherwise, there is no sound =/

EnzoFX said:
I got a GA-P55M-UD2 here,
Applied the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and it works, but only when booting with -F, otherwise, there is no sound =/

When booting with the -f flag you're reloading all the kexts and ignoring caches- all you need to do is rebuild caches, and no more -f. Use MultiBeast's Disk Utilities or re-run the AppleHDA installer- it will do it automatically. Hope this helps!

Runin 2 days with 10.6.3, no problems so far except I did not noticed any major speed improvement.

1. Installed 10.6.3 after downloading it.(did not used software update)
2. After reboot, fixed the sound by replacing appleHDA.kext withe the one from 10.6.2, but as far as I remember, it is 10.6.1 appleHDA.kext, correct me if i am wrong.
3. Added IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to fix the drive icons appearing as removabe drives.
4. Installed the rest of the updates via software update.
5. added SMcputype=1537 to smbios.plist.

That's all, everything is fine so far. The syntetic benchmark results are same as with 10.6.2, no improvements with Cinebench 11.5 at all.

My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

I cannot get the audio to work for 10.6.3. Everything else (that I know of - haven't tested for the USB/Sleep/Wake problem yet) works fine.

I have tried applying VoodooHDA.kext to both /E/E and /S/L/E, neither worked. I have tried leaving it in /E/E and removing from /S/L/E. I have tried leaving it in /S/L/E and removing it from /E/E. I have tried leaving it in both spots. No luck.

I tried applying Tony's 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext fix, but no luck there either, although I left VoodooHDA.kext where it was when I installed this fix. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have tried this with and without restart, as well as with and without using MultiBeast Disk Utility to rebuild/re-permission the cache.

What am I doing wrong? Does VoodooHDA.kext somehow conflict or override AppleHDA.kext? Should I scrub VoodooHDA.kext from both locations, then install the AppleHDA.kext fix and rebuild/re-perm?

I don't really want to go back to 10.6.2 if I don't have to, but that was working flawlessly, and this is the last thing (I'm aware of) keeping me from a 100% functional system again.

TIA!

Love,
Max

maxawesome said:
My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

Hi Max- I'd scan through S/L/E, and /E/E and remove all VoodooHDA, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA, HDAEnabler, then rebuild caches.

Then run the 10.6.3 update again. It's ok to do it more than once.

Then install VoodooHDA to S/L/E. You should have sound! ;) If the VoodooHDA in MultiBeast does not work, there's a different version here that I've tested:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1120&hilit=voodoohda

For those using voodoo and wanting audio to work after sleep (this app ensures sleep also) "Lights Out" is a must have:

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/lightsout.html

It has a 30 day trial but I bought a copy after voodoo worked for the first time ever after sleep and I didn't need to reboot. It's only like $10 so it's a steal for killing two birds with one stone. I used to use the RIP2 app if sleep was ever unreliable after installing new software but it never fixed the voodoo audio problem. Lights Out fixes it and for the first time I love voodooHDA!

maxawesome said:
My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

I cannot get the audio to work for 10.6.3. Everything else (that I know of - haven't tested for the USB/Sleep/Wake problem yet) works fine.

I have tried applying VoodooHDA.kext to both /E/E and /S/L/E, neither worked. I have tried leaving it in /E/E and removing from /S/L/E. I have tried leaving it in /S/L/E and removing it from /E/E. I have tried leaving it in both spots. No luck.

I tried applying Tony's 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext fix, but no luck there either, although I left VoodooHDA.kext where it was when I installed this fix. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have tried this with and without restart, as well as with and without using MultiBeast Disk Utility to rebuild/re-permission the cache.

What am I doing wrong? Does VoodooHDA.kext somehow conflict or override AppleHDA.kext? Should I scrub VoodooHDA.kext from both locations, then install the AppleHDA.kext fix and rebuild/re-perm?

I don't really want to go back to 10.6.2 if I don't have to, but that was working flawlessly, and this is the last thing (I'm aware of) keeping me from a 100% functional system again.

TIA!

Love,
Max

I have the exact same problem as Max and I will try your fix

Cheers

tonymacx86 said:
maxawesome said:
My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

Hi Max- I'd scan through S/L/E, and /E/E and remove all VoodooHDA, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA, HDAEnabler, then rebuild caches.

Then run the 10.6.3 update again. It's ok to do it more than once.

Then install VoodooHDA to S/L/E. You should have sound! ;) If the VoodooHDA in MultiBeast does not work, there's a different version here that I've tested:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1120&hilit=voodoohda

Trying this now. If I can't get it working with VoodooHDA I will try LegacyHDA and/or combo of LegacyHDA + HDAEnabler as was suggested in another thread.

Fortunately I have a fully-working 10.6.2 install (on my crappy little 5400rpm laptop hard drive) that I can use as my base of operations for getting this working on my faster, larger drive.

Still not working. I did exactly this:

1. Delete all traces of VoodooHDA, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA, HDAEnabler from /S/L/E and /E/E
2. Rebuild caches/re-permission w/ MultiBeast
3. Run 10.6.3 update
4. Install VoodooHDA to /S/L/E (keeping in mind that the 10.6.3 update re-installed AppleHDA to /S/L/E --> I left it there, should I have removed it again?)

No dice.

5. Copy VoodooHDA to /E/E
6. Rebuild caches/re-permission w/ MultiBeast

Still no sound. I am rebuilding caches once again. I will then try just installing the LegacyHDA. If that doesn't work I will also install the HDAEnabler.

With all these little tweaks, I'm almost feeling like just reverting to 10.6.2 is a better idea until we have a mechanized, 100% working solution (at least for the Gigabyte boards). I kinda don't like the idea relying on my memory or a sea of forum posts to untangle this should I have to go through the process again.

I will post again after trying the above.

Well, again no dice. Installing the HDAEnabler failed, and the LegacyHDA by itself didn't work.

I'm going to run through the 10.6.3 install again using the newer version of VoodooHDA and see what comes of that. Will post again on completion with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back