Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 10.6.3 released

MacMan said:

I think if we can expunge all references to Gigabyte in the DSDT it will help in curing this issues.

Surely whilst you can inject spoof IDs via DSDT, once the osx binaries go talk to chips, they will get told the actual vendor/dev IDs. So in IOReg, you may see reference to the injected ID and/or the real ID.
So depending on the specific app/sub system, the real ID not the injected one will get used..which may or may not mean stuff works.

Good example is miniWiFi PCI cards, you can inject a "mac" ID via plist, kext or DSDT to get the driver to talk to the card, and it works (more or less); but only by hacking the ID's in the device EEPROM (which is not always possible), do you get the right IDs (and the true os x functions).

just updated to my clone to 10.6.3 and everything is working fine including audio :), except the orange hard drive icon problem presumably because the SATA device has been changed to 'Intel 5 series'.

using the DSDT from the latest MultiBeast with BIOS F8, Chameleon RC4 with Asere 1.1.9 and was using tony's fix for 10.6.2 AppleHDA before the update.

Lightspeed said:
I installed 10.6.3 here, fixed audio with 10.6.2 kext, don't mind the orange drive icons... but wasn't 10.6.3 supposed to know about the i7 860, or does the AsereBLN Bootloader need an update as well?

I'm tired of seeing Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Edit: I modified smbios_patcher.c in AsereBLN 1.1.9 sources to return 0x0701 if greater than or equal to 4 cores. 10.6.3 reports an i7 after that. For i5 0x0601 works.

Now I don't have to wait. Knowing just enough C is cool sometimes :D

Hey Lightspeed- thanks for the hint about the smbios patcher- I've gotten it to work, but always default back to the standard one, because for some reason when I compile it it doesn't do the memory recognition features. Can you tell me where I'm messing up?

I cd to the directory in Terminal
Then type make clean
then type make

Is there a different command to include and special files? Let me know- this is what I see with the standard smbios- no smbios.plist.

As you can see, the 667 is not 1333 and the DDR2 is not DDR3

Help a brotha out! Let me know what I'm doing wrong. Also, attach a zip of your boot file- if you have the whole thing working like the default boot! ;)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 12.03.52 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 12.03.52 AM.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 530

tonymacx86 said:
Can you tell me where I'm messing up?
You're not messing up. Asere did not open up the code with memory detection. Btw, it violates the chameleon license.

P55A-UD4 & 10.6.3

All, I've just updated my machine to 10.6.3 using Software Update.

Other than the Audio issues associated with my ALC889 support (which were solved by Tony previously - see his instructions and installer) everything is working beautifully.

My drive icons aren't affected by the 'orange' problem being mentioned, everything is working normally, and my machine is faster :clap: :thumbup:

screenshot20100330at802.png

Lov'n It!

I use AsereBln 1.1.9
if in smbios.plist add CPU type as:
Code:
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>
1793=0x0701
then About this mac:
aboutmac2.png
if in smbios.plist add CPU type as:
Code:
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1537</string>
1537=0x0601
then About this mac:
aboutmac3.png
i.e. begins to see how i7 or i5, but without details

Attachments

• aboutmac2.png
    aboutmac2.png
    39 KB · Views: 546
  • aboutmac3.png
    aboutmac3.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 530

^ if i add SMcputype=1537 to my smbios with AsereBLN 1.1.9 i get "Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750" how do i get it display as just "Intel Core i5" like the iMacs? is your boot file untouched?

I just updated to 10.6.3 for my ASUS P7P55D-E:

All native support is there just like for the EVGA. In the EVGA there's an option in bios to make drives hot swappable and I keep it off so at least for that board I think that might have something to do with no orange icons. With ASUS there's no option for this but also I'm not seeing orange icons.

I couldn't believe my Geekbench and Xbench scores - a 700 point increase for Geekbench and a 330 total score for Xbench running at stock speeds! :eek: :eek: :eek:

USB has also improved with ASUS and I don't need any device ID's in the DSDT to get everything to work.

This is almost too easy so far since I was really nervous about this update since I have about 20 clients who I built systems for as my sideline and I guaranteed them that I'd update their machines for 10.6.3 so this is a HUGE sigh of relief!

I'm only using fakesmc.kext and IOBlockstorageinjector that I've left it as a precaution but I'm going to try without it next. Still using voodoo for now since I'm not finished with my VIA legacy codec yet (actually held off on it until now). Next round, Gigabyte boards :thumbup:

ZOleg said:
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1537</string>

1537=0x0601

i.e. begins to see how i7 or i5, but without details

Awesome- thanks! Now we can all get memory detection and cpu detection. ;) If only from Smbios plist for the CPU. ;)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 8.44.17 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 8.44.17 AM.png
    33 KB · Views: 465

Daioptych said:
tonymacx86 said:
Can you tell me where I'm messing up?
You're not messing up. Asere did not open up the code with memory detection. Btw, it violates the chameleon license.

Oh- I didn't realize that. Glad I wasn't making a dumb mistake! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back