Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
winstonace said:

)

The 10.6.3 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes that:

* improve the reliability and compatibility of QuickTime X
* address compatibility issues with OpenGL-based applications
* address an issue that causes background message colors to display incorrectly in Mail
* resolve an issue that prevented files with the # or & characters in their names from opening in Rosetta applications
* resolve an issue that prevented files from copying to Windows file servers
* improve performance of Logic Pro 9 and Main Stage 2 when running in 64-bit mode
* improve sleep and wake reliability when using Bonjour wake on demand
* address a color issue in iMovie with HD content
* improve printing reliability
* resolve issues with recurring events in iCal when connected to an Exchange server
* improve the reliability of 3rd party USB input devices
* fix glowing, stuck, or dark pixels when viewing video from the iMac (Late 2009) built-in iSight camera

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4014.

tonymacx86 said:
ne0shell said:
From what I can tell the update means no more vanilla / almost vanilla hacks for the P55 mobos. The only fixes so far involve replacing kext files with older versions and I doubt apple will put the hardware support back in again. The only other possible long term fix involves hacked 10.6.3 kext files which means the same thing - no more vanilla systems.

Well- true, but anyone with an edited DSDT can run the vanilla 10.6.3 IOUSBFamily.kext without any issues. It's only if you don't have an edited DSDT that you're SOL. :ugeek:

It looks like we might have some hope based on the update for the new MacBook pros.

I'm still holding off on the update hoping a better solution will come around, is that in the works here or elsewhere or should I just bite the bullet and face up to having to go back to replacing kexts in /s/l/e again?

I'm finally going to generate and edit my own DSDT, I had to clear a USB drive to serve as backup so wish me luck...

cakemonster said:
MTGhost said:
I also updated to 10.6.3. From looking at the spreadsheet no one has a setup like mine. I still haven't found a fix for the F8 BIOS and the F8 DSDT not working. I tried the F8 DSDT after the 10.6.3 update and I still get a kernel panic. If I keep the F7 DSDT everything works OK.

After the 10.6.3 update my sound (889a) and USB devices work fine when I initially boot my computer. If I shutdown my computer before it goes into sleep mode it will shutdown properly. I have a wired mouse and keyboard.

The problems arise after my computer goes into sleep mode. When I bring it out of sleep mode my keyboard doesn't work. The mouse works fine. Also, my computer will not go back into sleep mode. It shuts down as if it is going into sleep mode and then comes right back on. When I shut down my computer at this point it goes into a mode where it isn't off and I can't get it to come back on with either a mouse or keystroke. I have to hold the power until is completely shuts down. I unchecked the Allow power button to put computer to sleep and that didn't make any difference.

The F7 DSDT works for me (out of Multibeast). The F8 (installed by drag and drop) causes kernel panic. Not sure if it is a permissions issue on my part (that multibeast takes care of) or a problem with the F8 DSDT. Let me know what I can do to test...

Thank You...

I would be willing to test too. I have no experience working with DSDTs. Tony said he would take a look at the F8 DSDT to see if he could see a problem with it but have't seen any comments or updates yet. The other issue I have run into with 10.6.3 is that when I restart my computer after it has been in sleep mode it ends up in a mode where I have to hold in the power button in order for it to turn off. Just pressing the power button doesn't do anything. The only way I can get it to come out of sleep mode and have the keyboard active it to press the power button as per Tony's comments. How are things working for you?

Hey Guys, everything working except for two things, the sound doesn't work (p55-ud4 I think that is 888, correct me if im wrong) and my BLU-RAY drive seems to have disappeared completely, if I boot in 10.6.2 its back and works, boot into windows no probs...but 10.6.3 ignores in completely. I just thought this was interesting.

I got my wifi working by simply replacing the IO80211family.kext with the one from 10.6.2, this seems to have completely fixed my wifi probs, I don't know if it has contributed to my loss of bluray drive though.

Anyway I have tried all the sound fixes including the appledha.kext from previous posts. And so far no luck with sound.

I am using a patched DSDT (thanks tony) and have been using a rock solid 10.6.2 system for a while now, as a main work computer. I am writing this on my cloned drive I have up and running with all but sound :( anyone got any suggestions?

hi5 said:
Hey Guys, everything working except for two things, the sound doesn't work (p55-ud4 I think that is 888, correct me if im wrong) and my BLU-RAY drive seems to have disappeared completely, if I boot in 10.6.2 its back and works, boot into windows no probs...but 10.6.3 ignores in completely. I just thought this was interesting.

I got my wifi working by simply replacing the IO80211family.kext with the one from 10.6.2, this seems to have completely fixed my wifi probs, I don't know if it has contributed to my loss of bluray drive though.

Anyway I have tried all the sound fixes including the appledha.kext from previous posts. And so far no luck with sound.

I am using a patched DSDT (thanks tony) and have been using a rock solid 10.6.2 system for a while now, as a main work computer. I am writing this on my cloned drive I have up and running with all but sound :( anyone got any suggestions?

My first suggestion would be to add your system specs to your signature.

If your bluray drive is ATA you probably need a kext file for it.

Yep it is ATA, I'll look into that. Not a bit deal since apple has basically 0 support for bluray ATM.

Here are my system specs on my signature, I hope I have done it correctly.

Try adding the attached kext file to your /Extra/Extensions folder, run kexthelper on /Extra folder to rebuild extensions cache and reboot.

If this doesn't work you'll have to figure out which exact one matches your ATA chipset.

Attachments

• JMicron36xATA.kext.zip
    45.7 KB · Views: 99
Has there been any progress to get full function USB and Sound to work again after a 10.6.3 upgrade? I did upgrade my test/back up drive to v1.1 w/o any problem to see if that would do anything but it did not fix any my problems. :cry:

metalchaos said:
All good except that now if I reboot my USBs are blocked (not responding), so I have to hard reset. Any of you had this issue? I have the USBs in DSDT (they are recognized as BuiltIn), I have also tried with 10.6.2 USB kexts, still same thing.

Thanks.

Yey, issue solved. The problem was actually from the network driver o_O
Because by default the realtek from Gigabyte H55M-UD2H is not working under 10.6, I downloaded the driver from realtek website... big mistake, issue with usb and panic when downloading from t*****ts. Then I've put back the driver I used in 10.6.2 (http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/LAN/Realtek/RTL8xxx/) and all good, no issue anymore with USBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi tony,, does your core i5 750 speedstep compatible w/ turbo mode???

my problem is when it is enabled, my pc fan/lights are on a off and can't wake in sleep mode, but when i disabled turbo mode,, sleep and wake seems to work fine,, (usb wake issue as usual)

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back