Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
beelzebozo said:
wtfduck said:
Hi Everyone. First off here are my specs

motherborad asus gene II
process i7 930
Video Card nvidia 250 GTS

I upgraded to 10.6.3 , and everything is working except for my sound. The sound was working before I upgraded. For my specific board, the only one that works is the voodoo text that I found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=201758

I tried downloading the new voodoo that was on this thread (a few posts above me that tony mentioned), but it caused my system to crash at startup. I had to restart in safemode, and delete the kext.

I tried using the 10.6.2 hda installer that only provided, but after installation I still have no sound.

Has anyone else had any luck to get there sound working? I also tried all other methods, legacy, and whatever else was on tonys blog, but they didn't seem to work. I use this machine for video editing, so I need sound. I'm thinking about downgrading back to 10.6.2.

Is there anyway to downgrade without having to use time machine (I didn't use it to backup my hd)... Yes I know, big mistake.

I'm really looking to stay on the newest update thought. Let me know if anyone has figured out how to make sound work on the 10.6.3 with my board.

Thanks guys!

did you try the voodoo kext on multibeast?

I didn't have to change any audio kexts when i went from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3.. i used the one from multibeast.

Yes i tried that, didn't work.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Which USB Fix to use....

When people refer to Tony's USB Fix for cases where a USB Keyboard is not recognized after waking from sleep, which one are you referring to?

The Vanilla one or the nonVanillla one?

Since both reference the lack of existence of a DSDT (and I'm using Tony's), I'm not sure which one is apropos.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
Core i5-750
Graphics
9600GT
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
In my case the non-vanilla USB fix corrects the wake from sleep issue.

VoodooHDA.kext in /E/E works for audio (MultiBeast installs it in /S/L/E which doesn't work for me). Under 10.6.2 I was using LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E from Multibeast which I have now removed.

I uploaded my /Extra a little earlier in this thread if you want to see what I'm running with.

My DSDT is the one from the database.

Hope this helps.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I got a GA-P55M-UD2 here,
Applied the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and it works, but only when booting with -F, otherwise, there is no sound =/

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
PRIME Z490-A
CPU
i5 10600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EnzoFX said:
I got a GA-P55M-UD2 here,
Applied the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and it works, but only when booting with -F, otherwise, there is no sound =/

When booting with the -f flag you're reloading all the kexts and ignoring caches- all you need to do is rebuild caches, and no more -f. Use MultiBeast's Disk Utilities or re-run the AppleHDA installer- it will do it automatically. Hope this helps!

Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD4
CPU
Intel I7-860
Graphics
Ginward GTX260 GS
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Runin 2 days with 10.6.3, no problems so far except I did not noticed any major speed improvement.

1. Installed 10.6.3 after downloading it.(did not used software update)
2. After reboot, fixed the sound by replacing appleHDA.kext withe the one from 10.6.2, but as far as I remember, it is 10.6.1 appleHDA.kext, correct me if i am wrong.
3. Added IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to fix the drive icons appearing as removabe drives.
4. Installed the rest of the updates via software update.
5. added SMcputype=1537 to smbios.plist.

That's all, everything is fine so far. The syntetic benchmark results are same as with 10.6.2, no improvements with Cinebench 11.5 at all.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Sabertooth x79
CPU
Xeon 8-core Sandybridge EP
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

I cannot get the audio to work for 10.6.3. Everything else (that I know of - haven't tested for the USB/Sleep/Wake problem yet) works fine.

I have tried applying VoodooHDA.kext to both /E/E and /S/L/E, neither worked. I have tried leaving it in /E/E and removing from /S/L/E. I have tried leaving it in /S/L/E and removing it from /E/E. I have tried leaving it in both spots. No luck.

I tried applying Tony's 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext fix, but no luck there either, although I left VoodooHDA.kext where it was when I installed this fix. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have tried this with and without restart, as well as with and without using MultiBeast Disk Utility to rebuild/re-permission the cache.

What am I doing wrong? Does VoodooHDA.kext somehow conflict or override AppleHDA.kext? Should I scrub VoodooHDA.kext from both locations, then install the AppleHDA.kext fix and rebuild/re-perm?

I don't really want to go back to 10.6.2 if I don't have to, but that was working flawlessly, and this is the last thing (I'm aware of) keeping me from a 100% functional system again.

TIA!

Love,
Max

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
PRIME Z490-A
CPU
i5 10600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
maxawesome said:
My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

Hi Max- I'd scan through S/L/E, and /E/E and remove all VoodooHDA, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA, HDAEnabler, then rebuild caches.

Then run the 10.6.3 update again. It's ok to do it more than once.

Then install VoodooHDA to S/L/E. You should have sound! ;) If the VoodooHDA in MultiBeast does not work, there's a different version here that I've tested:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1120&hilit=voodoohda

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
For those using voodoo and wanting audio to work after sleep (this app ensures sleep also) "Lights Out" is a must have:

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/lightsout.html

It has a 30 day trial but I bought a copy after voodoo worked for the first time ever after sleep and I didn't need to reboot. It's only like $10 so it's a steal for killing two birds with one stone. I used to use the RIP2 app if sleep was ever unreliable after installing new software but it never fixed the voodoo audio problem. Lights Out fixes it and for the first time I love voodooHDA!

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
maxawesome said:
My specs:

i7-860
GA-P55M-UD2
nVidia 8400 GS

I cannot get the audio to work for 10.6.3. Everything else (that I know of - haven't tested for the USB/Sleep/Wake problem yet) works fine.

I have tried applying VoodooHDA.kext to both /E/E and /S/L/E, neither worked. I have tried leaving it in /E/E and removing from /S/L/E. I have tried leaving it in /S/L/E and removing it from /E/E. I have tried leaving it in both spots. No luck.

I tried applying Tony's 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext fix, but no luck there either, although I left VoodooHDA.kext where it was when I installed this fix. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have tried this with and without restart, as well as with and without using MultiBeast Disk Utility to rebuild/re-permission the cache.

What am I doing wrong? Does VoodooHDA.kext somehow conflict or override AppleHDA.kext? Should I scrub VoodooHDA.kext from both locations, then install the AppleHDA.kext fix and rebuild/re-perm?

I don't really want to go back to 10.6.2 if I don't have to, but that was working flawlessly, and this is the last thing (I'm aware of) keeping me from a 100% functional system again.

TIA!

Love,
Max

I have the exact same problem as Max and I will try your fix

Cheers