2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. SE
  5. Xserve
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I have followed the "Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)" guide found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

After completing install I am able to boot into mac OS High Sierra and it appears to function properly. (ie. Nvidia drivers updated, displays look fine, all software behaves as it did previously running Sierra, system is fast and responsive, even iMessage works flawlessly, etc.)

My problem is when booting, after seeing the clover prompt, I am stuck at the Apple Loading screen for at least 10 minutes before the mac OS desktop appears.

Prior to updating, the computer would go from BIOS to Clover to macOS in a matter of seconds.

Clover now greets me with 3 additional boot options than the 2 I had before.

Typically I have only have 2 mac OS boot options: MacOS from Main Drive (SSD), and Recovery from Apple Recovery
I now have the 4 options of booting: Filevault Prebooter from Preboot, MacOS Installer Preboot from Preboot, MacOS from SSD, and Recovery from Recovery. (See attached photos.) (Filevault is not enabled, not has it ever been enabled.)

Selecting the various boot options does the following:
Filevault Prebooter from Preboot - does the same thing as "MacOS from SSD" and boots slowly
MacOS Installer Preboot from Preboot - black screen with circle with line through it
MacOS from SSD - slow boot
Recovery from Recovery - boots macOS 10.13 recovery

I assume this is a problem dealing with the new APFS filesystem. (Yes, I added apfs.efi to drivers64UEFI). I will try a fresh clover install then if that fails to fix the problem I may reinstall following the HFS+ method using a clone of my sierra drive. All kexts are in place as they should be.

Computer Specs:
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC 11GB Graphic Cards N108TGAMINGOC-11GD
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) (two; 1 for mac, 1 for windows)

I have uploaded my config.plist, nvram.plist, and clover install log. (uploaded pictures are upside down for some reason)

Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

Update: Since posting this I have booted into my Clone of macOS Sierra. I opened up disk utility and am able to see the new partitions made on my main drive (SSD). See attached photo.

Update: Cloned version of boot drive (SSD) running Sierra now has a kernel panic and will not boot.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 531
  • IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 434
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    909.2 KB · Views: 427
  • config.plist
    8.3 KB · Views: 257
  • nvram.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Clover_Install_Log.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.38.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.38.00 PM.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Hello all,

I have followed the "Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)" guide found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

After completing install I am able to boot into mac OS High Sierra and it appears to function properly. (ie. Nvidia drivers updated, displays look fine, all software behaves as it did previously running Sierra, system is fast and responsive, even iMessage works flawlessly, etc.)

My problem is when booting, after seeing the clover prompt, I am stuck at the Apple Loading screen for at least 10 minutes before the mac OS desktop appears.

Prior to updating, the computer would go from BIOS to Clover to macOS in a matter of seconds.

Clover now greets me with 3 additional boot options than the 2 I had before.

Typically I have only have 2 mac OS boot options: MacOS from Main Drive (SSD), and Recovery from Apple Recovery
I now have the 4 options of booting: Filevault Prebooter from Preboot, MacOS Installer Preboot from Preboot, MacOS from SSD, and Recovery from Recovery. (See attached photos.) (Filevault is not enabled, not has it ever been enabled.)

Selecting the various boot options does the following:
Filevault Prebooter from Preboot - does the same thing as "MacOS from SSD" and boots slowly
MacOS Installer Preboot from Preboot - black screen with circle with line through it
MacOS from SSD - slow boot
Recovery from Recovery - boots macOS 10.13 recovery

I assume this is a problem dealing with the new APFS filesystem. (Yes, I added apfs.efi to drivers64UEFI). I will try a fresh clover install then if that fails to fix the problem I may reinstall following the HFS+ method using a clone of my sierra drive. All kexts are in place as they should be.

Computer Specs:
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC 11GB Graphic Cards N108TGAMINGOC-11GD
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) (two; 1 for mac, 1 for windows)

I have uploaded my config.plist, nvram.plist, and clover install log. (uploaded pictures are upside down for some reason)

Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

Update: Since posting this I have booted into my Clone of macOS Sierra. I opened up disk utility and am able to see the new partitions made on my main drive (SSD). See attached photo.

Update: Cloned version of boot drive (SSD) running Sierra now has a kernel panic and will not boot.
Can you please tell me how much time it is taking for boot?

Can you please tell me how much time it is taking for boot?
macOS High Sierra (10.13) takes 10 minutes+
macOS Sierra (10.12) taks less than 10 seconds.

Update:
I have since wiped my boot drive and restored my macOS Sierra install. Hackintosh functions 100% again, but I will continue experimenting with High Sierra; might try the HFS+ install.

macOS High Sierra (10.13) takes 10 minutes+
macOS Sierra (10.12) taks less than 10 seconds.

Update:
I have since wiped my boot drive and restored my macOS Sierra install. Hackintosh functions 100% again, but I will continue experimenting with High Sierra; might try the HFS+ install.

(sry for my english i am not an english men)
I try to install High sierra into an SSD drive last week. I got the same problem as you explain on boot. Well at this step the only way i found to resolve this problem is to desactivate the SIP (System Integrety Protection). When you do this, the boot is faster like sierra. But i have got other problems with my graphics cards (a black screen at login) so i haved restore my Sierra install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back