2x Vega Frontier
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,
I have a problem and i don't know how to solve it:

Before my machine on video rendering was a beast, like, 4k video 10 min long won't take more than 4 min, now machine takes about a half-hour to render.

I have i9 8c 16t, 64gb ddr4 , 2x AMD Vega Frontier 16gb each, and 1tb raid0 2x 512 Samsung PCI-E SSD(where the OS is installed ) and my video library is located on the external Hard Drive 12tb raid0 4x3tb (speed 600mbs).
i check monitor when i reder something, The cpu went idle for almost 80% renderings 4k, GPU dont go more than 3% for each GPU and also my machine have intel GPU on the Processor, and the Hard drive dont go more the 32mb/s

Before anyone say, the system was installed on one SSD and i have the same problem.
My questions is
Why the render became so slow on my computer?
Does apple slow computers?
What should I do ?

To get (better) help, it would be good to tell which Video App you se (FCP, Davinci, Adobe...).
Also what the Tool Videoproc https://www.videoproc.com (DEmo available) shows about h264 /hvec HW Enc (freen /red). Videoproc uses , as also HANDBRAKE (open Source) Apples API Videotoolbox for HW 264/HVEC ENCODING.

For HW encoding only (without working with lots of video filters, colour chamges etc.) the GPU load on fast AMD gpus can be low (less that 10% gpu load) even HW enc works!!!
Also it can be that the system (OS X, your video app, your setup with smbios Mac Modell, IGPU setup (disabled, setup as connectorless, setup as normal display device) may be the problem for usage aof the AMD insted of the IGPU fore HW enc.

Is it possible that your rendering apps are not 100% 64-bit? Catalina will give problems if even part of an app is 32-bit. You might want to download "GO64" and check them.

Is it possible that your rendering apps are not 100% 64-bit? Catalina will give problems if even part of an app is 32-bit. You might want to download "GO64" and check them.
i download the app and show some plugs are 32bit, related to the metal codec in all the app that I use for editing video. So what should I do?

So what should I do?
Excellent question, and I don't have any answer, except either contact the app publisher and request updates to 64-bit throughout, or (what I would do) revert to the "Mojave" Mac OS which will run both 64-bit and 32-bit apps.

Last edited:
Excellent question, and I don't have any answer, except either contact the app publisher and request updates to 64-bit throughout, or (what I would do) revert to the "Mojave" Mac OS which will run both 64-bit and 32-bit apps.
Yes, you right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back