Contribute
Register

Mac Mini in G4 Cube. Less or more Moddy than mini ITX?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lion 10.7.5
CPU
core i5
Graphics
GeForce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All Guru,

I found someone did it on Ebay;
[h=1]Apple G4 Cube w/mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz processor Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.[/h]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-G4-Cube-w-mac-Mini-Intel-Core-2-Duo-1-83Ghz-processor-Mac-OS-X-10-7-Lion-/150955254788?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item2325a26404
(If I'm not suppose to post this link, please let me know or delete it.)

I've a questions, just for my curiosity.

Is this task less or more modifications than putting mini ITX into Cube like many guru here did?.

Noom.

:lol::lol::lol::-o:lol::crazy:

That seller must be so far up his.....

Well, words fail me.

I did this years ago (with a much higher spec Mac Mini by the way). Photos are in my Tonymac album. Yes, it was fun to put it in there and add some extra drives. In terms of difficulty I'd put it at WAAAAY easier than putting mini ITX into a Cube.

The model that fits in there is now not capable of running the latest OS. Or at least if you do, you will not get the graphics to work with acceleration. For the old Intel Core 2 Duos it was at the time a neat conversion but now I'd say don't bother. In fact, I have now ripped my old Mac Mini back out of theCube to free the old Cube case up for a proper hack.

$1,750????!!

When I did mine I did it to upgrade - adding extra drives, expanding the IDE bus to take extra hard drive and putting in larger capacity faster desktop drives. This joker has simply stuffed the mini inside, moved the DVD drive cut the back and said "TA DAH......." effectively he has taken a really neat little computer and tripled the footprint of it. Way to go......

Thanks minihack for your opinions. That seller might be out of his mind with that price. :lol:
I asked the questions here just want to get more ideas and like I guess, it will be more easier way to do since I saw he did not cut the big heat sink. It's just another way of Cube's mod.

Noom.

Well, apologies for my strong reactions! I just couldn't believe the nerve of the seller trying to ask such a price (compare it to the price of a new Mac Mini.....which is much more powerful than the old 2008 models).

Anyway, in terms of difficulty basically anyone could do what he has done in one afternoon. Procedure for that is (a) buy old mac Mini and old Cube case. (b) throw away the top case of the mac mini. (c) remove the dvd drive and relocate to where it needs to be for the Cube (d) Stick the Mac mini case bottom with strong glue to the Cube Heatsink and final step (e) cut a hole in the bottom of the Cube.

OMFG

That price and shipping cost is f'ing outrageous!

Some people ....

But as Minihack states it is easy to do that kind of mod and of course if you want to just do the motherboard option if is a tad more involved but just taking your time and doing it right and it will be a piece of cake.

There are several of us here that can and will point you in the right direction if you choose to Mod a Cube in which ever way you choose to do it.

I myself enjoy the challenge of redesigning the inside of the Cube to suite my needs and wants with all new hardware and controllers.

Shaking my Head.... OMFG I agree that price is outrageous, good luck with getting that price, unless some schmuck with more money than sense comes along.

Maybe if it was an Ivy Bridge, but a Mac Mini???? No Way!

He..he...heh... guys. Don't be serious too much. :D
It doesn't matter how much it is, it matter nobody will buy it. :)
I'm so glad that I'm a member of this forum, so I knew what's right what's wrong. :clap:
I'll do mod with mini itx for sure but not now.

Noom.

He..he...heh... guys. Don't be serious too much. :D
It doesn't matter how much it is, it matter nobody will buy it. :)
I'm so glad that I'm a member of this forum, so I knew what's right what's wrong. :clap:
I'll do mod with mini itx for sure but not now.

Noom.

No, there will always be that one guy that is like, "OMG x3, I HAVE to have that because it has an Apple on the side of it OMG OMG OMG!!1!!!!111!!!" Seriously, I bet he sells that because some technically deficient person thinks it's a magical Mac.

Jeffinslaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back