Contribute
Register

Mac mini / Cube tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to have to rework this project and make it a little bigger to work with mini-itx boards. It's only 20mm bigger so it will still fit on my printer and will be easier for more people to achieve. If I do this, it will also be better for GPU connection but will need a Pico PSU inside.

On the downside, I would have to rethink the whole thing. Still not sure I'm willing to do that...

Of course, ideal board would be Gigabyte, H110M or H310M would really make my day but I would still buy an AsRock in a heartbeat if it is priced right.

Just be patient!, I'm sure something will come up. You have a great project to look forward to, take your time and everything will work out for you.

Of course, ideal board would be Gigabyte, H110M or H310M would really make my day but I would still buy an AsRock in a heartbeat if it is priced right.
Just be patient. There apparently are not a lot of them out there... I keep a search active on eBay, and when one pops up, make a bid. I currently have 5 Gigabyte on hand, one just developed a power issue where it won't turn on. But the other 4 I had to snipe and grab when I could. I have owned two of the ASRock STX boards and had big problems with both, had to sell them at scrap prices.

@phunguss You have a damaged mini-stx board? If ever you are willing to let it go, let me know. It would help to make the mockup.

You have an active search on ebay, like automatic search? That's possible?

@phunguss You have a damaged mini-stx board? If ever you are willing to let it go, let me know. It would help to make the mockup.

You have an active search on ebay, like automatic search? That's possible?
Yes, I have one that does not power on. I have not done any troubleshooting with it yet, so I don't know the extent of if it is really damaged, or maybe I am doing something wrong. I will have to have a 2nd look at it.

On eBay, log in, search, then save the search. Go under your saved searches, and you can subscribe. When items match, you get an email.

Yes, I have one that does not power on. I have not done any troubleshooting with it yet, so I don't know the extent of if it is really damaged, or maybe I am doing something wrong. I will have to have a 2nd look at it.

On eBay, log in, search, then save the search. Go under your saved searches, and you can subscribe. When items match, you get an email.
I saw that after your last post!! Very nice to know that can be done!! Thank you!

Hey guys!! I did some work on my "cube" and changed the form factor to mini-ITX. Boards are much cheaper and easier to find.

Mini-ITX 1.jpg
Mini-ITX 2.jpg
Mini-ITX 3.jpg
Mini-ITX 4.jpg
Mini-ITX 5.jpg
Mini-ITX 6.jpg

I've added space for one 3.5" hard drive under the motherboard and minimal bracket on top left part of main body to hold a Pico PSU. Let me know what you think ;)

Thank you for the inputs, the upper part will be painted in base coat/clear coat process to get the look of the old mac minis.

As for the HDPlex, for sure it looks good but way to expensive, the DCATX would cost me 132$CAD+shipping and about 120$CAD for the power brick. I'm sure there is another solution for this... Would 2 pico psu at 300W each work? They are like 40$ each on amazon. One for the gpu and one for the motherboard.

I'm pretty sure 300W would be enough to power a 570 and the Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back