Contribute
Register

Mac mini 2012 OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I have 2012 mac mini and thinking about putting opencore on it so I can install Big Sur.

Has anybody here maybe done that already and is willing to share their config.plist?

Hi there.

Not recommended. Installing OpenCore, or Clover for that matter, will likely brick your Mac Mini.

These bootloaders reside in the hidden EFi partition so are usually invisible to macOS BUT conflict with Apple firmware through which a real Mac boots.

You can certainly download the newer OS using gibmacOS but will need to check other methods to install it.

Are you sure about opencore bricking a real mac? I know clover can brick it, but people are using oc on mac pro 5,1 to get Big Sur, there is also a guide on dortania for installing oc on legacy macs. I just thougt because all mac models are the same there maybe a mac mini config floating around. I know I can install big sur using a patcher but without open core I wouldnt have the abillity to install updates.

As the title says, I have 2012 mac mini and thinking about putting opencore on it so I can install Big Sur.
We don't support patchers for real Macs here. You can search the internet though and find one that should work. No need to even install OpenCore when you use one. HD4000 gfx are still supported so Big Sur should work quite well if you get the right patcher.

Read the MacRumors thread about this topic first.

Ok. Thanks. I know it can work an be installed with various patchers but you can’t use software update function after.
Really ? Why not simply use GibMacOS as a workaround for that ? It works on real Macs the same way it works on hacks that are not Big Sur eligible.

It's not that convenient every time there's an update to download the full installer and install the whole thing again. No more combo updates.
I would just wait until 11.6 or whatever the last version will be. Keep using Catalina until then.

Hi,
first of all I apologize for my bad english, i use a translator.

Dortania has an OpenCore legacy patcher on Github, this automatically creates an EFI for your unsupported device, maybe this will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back